Columbus Map update

RichardPB

While checking for any software/map updates in my car today, an update has appeared for the maps.

As I can't get a good wifi connection in the car at the moment I thought I would download it from the update portal.

However the map updates don't seem to be on the portal yet.

Can anyone else confirm that they see the same map update when doing it from in the car?

Connected my car to my wifi this afternoon to download the map updates.

It downloaded a 'Technical Package', 'England North, Ireland' and 'England South'.

However once it had downloaded the last update the screen stopped on download for 30 minutes and didn't appear to be doing anything.

I cancelled the update after that as it was taking far too long.

Has anyone else successfully downloaded updates and installed them? If so what are the sequence of screens displayed during the install?

Hi RichardPB 

I also today tried to update the "England North, Ireland update" unsuccessfully.

I downloaded it through my 4g o2 service provider it downloaded the Technical package twice then I watched it's progress as the green bar slowly scrolled across the screen, but at the end it seemed to just sit doing nothing further, and not providing any clue as to anything happening, I gave up after 1 and a half hours ... will try again later today and update if successful.. 

Over the last 7 days I have downloaded both updates.  At the end of each both appeared to sit on 100%, I just left them and switched to the radio, next time I checked there were no new England updates.  The maps do show updated road layouts that were not shown when I collected the car. 

Edited by CanIDrive
grammer

Yeah after powering up the car this morning it didn't show the England North, Ireland as an option, and I checked on a new road that was not on the previous mapping and it has been added to the mapping software.

So I downloaded the England South as a test, sadly the software doesn't tell you it is completed and updating, so you have to leave it on the update mapping for a few mins after it the green bar travelled to the right hand side of the display, ( Do not cancel) when you turn the car off and power up again it says " Updating" and will show a percentage up to 100%. Then when you go back into update screen it should not show theitem you want as available..

Hope this helps..

I hate systems like this which don't provide the user with messages to say exactly what it is doing or what the user needs to do.

It doesn't take much effort to include messages for things like this.

I wonder what the 'Technical Package' updates are. I wonder if it adds or removes any functionality to the Columbus system.

I managed to get a good connection between my car and my broadband. However the map downloads are so slow from the Skoda site that I've given up. I'll wait until they are online.

Can't see the point of providing an online update if their servers aren't quick enough.

• 5 weeks later...

I've tried several times to update the maps on my Columbus screen from an SD card formatted at Fat32 on my Mac but Columbus doesn't recognise it. I followed the instructions from the Skoda Portal but I'm unsure what this means:

"Open the first file in the folder with the downloaded data and extract into the SD card"

On the SD card I put the complete folder that was created after unzipping the download from the Skoda Portal onto my Mac's hard drive. Did I do it right?

I belive macs leave files on the SD card that the system doesn’t like. I’m sure someone will be along and explain how to remove these files. Unless you have access to a PC where it’s straightforward.

• Like 1

If it helps at all, I downloaded from the Portal to a USB drive instead of SD card. Download took a long time, but once done, I went to map settings and selected update via SD / USB, plugged the USB into the port ahead of the gearstick and that loaded onto the Columbus system in under 30 minutes. When the bar gets to 100% on the screen, give it a few more minutes and it then gives an update successful message.

Hi. Didn't check what files were on the drive, just did the following:

1. Format USB drive as FAT32 and 4kb packet size

2. Download maps from portal (took a few hours and is a zip file)

3. On the portal then unpacked the downloaded zip file to the USB drive

4. Switched on ignition but not engine in car

5. Went to map settings and selected update from USB / SD

6. Inserted USB into port in car

7. Waited for software update to complete and message that confirmed done

Cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi, I tried to update maps on my Columbus. I downloaded the data from Skoda update portal, format SD card (32GB) to FAT32, copy the data on SD card and plug it in the slot. But unfortunately it freeze on 95% and it writes "Software error". I tried to download data and format SD card again, but nothing change. Anyone can help please?

Thanks Peter

1 hour ago, petr758 said:

But unfortunately it freeze on 95% and it writes "Software error".

This happened to me as well, I just started the process over and it began at 95% and finished with success.

And as FabFabFabia says it seems to work best with an USB drive.

1 hour ago, FabFabFabia said:

Mine installed fine off a USB stick so you might want to try this method instead of an SD card.

Okay, I'll try it with USB stick......Now I see I wrote to the wrong thread, my car is Skoda Octavia III (not Karoq). Thanks for advice.