Dealer dented my Karoq

palmerama

It's only a slight dent just below the passenger door, but it has taken the paint off. Looks like a door's been opened on it, then the other car's raised (someone got out). The dealer pointed it out when I went to pick it up and said they'd pay to get it fixed, but their dent and paint guys weren't in that day. 

I'd bought from a dealer 2 hours form home as they were cheapest on CarWow, so he suggests I get a quote from this local SMART repair company and they'll foot the bill.  

Here's the question: will this affect my warranty if it's not done by the dealer? What if something goes wrong? Dealer says he can't see why it'd affect it, which is strangely vague. Skoda Customer Services also didn't seem to have a clue on the phone, said to go with whatever the dealer says, then said they thought it probably would affect it. So no idea.

Any ideas? And how can I get a definitive answer?

My basic feeling is I shouldn't have to be putting any work or worry into getting this sorted. It's £30K's worth of brand new car.

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

Edited by palmerama

3 minutes ago, Vectis said:

I'd get it done by them and get them to pick your car up and drop you off a courtesy car while they repair it.

This.  It's the dealers fault and it's their responsibility to resolve the issue to manufacturers standard and to your satisfaction, at minimal inconvenience to you. 

For added peace of mind I'd take a walk around video of the car showing panels and alloys, before it goes back to them.  

Thinking about this more..

I'd also make some enquiries about how they'd get it repaired too.  I've nothing against SMART repairs if done well and in a workshop but having their 'dent bloke' come and work on the car outside, with dust and all sorts blowing around, then drying any filler/paint with a heat lamp is a recipe for disaster.  In situations like that the dealer will have a few other cars stacked up for him to do that day, and they'll probs pay £30 a car, do you think you're going to be getting an exceptional finish? 

Push for a new door or at very least, a dedicated body shop repair. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

I have to say we used Chips Away to repair the wifes Yeti (bad crease/dent in the rear wheel arch) and they did an exceptional job, they took the car away and delivered it back and fully guaranteed to work, couldn't fault the service and it was impossible to tell it had been done.

• Like 2

Dealer told me they do have a body shop on site, which he said was unusual. So I presume it'd be done in there. Think I'll push back to them to come and get the car, leave me another, then get it back to me all done. 

• Like 2

& Done to Factory Finish / Specification / Thickness. (better actually as Factory Finish can be crap.)

Afterall Skoda Dealers are the ones that have a Warranty Manager come out when someone has a Rust / Zinc Inclusion issue and says, paint thickness is wrong that has had a repair.

Kerb Side Auto / Forecourt Repair, exactly as the kind Dealers have done on Sales cars and even brand new cars damaged in transit from the factory and before even First Registered.

Couple of things you may wish to consider from my recent Skoda bodyshop experience. 

I'm currently in dispute with a Skoda dealership due to rust returning to a body panel less than two years after it was resprayed under warranty. 

I went to another dealership, but although they have a bodyshop, it is not Skoda approved. Any resprays that come in are sent to the Dealership I am in dispute with. 

So although the Dealership that caused your damage has a bodyshop, get it in writing they are Skoda approved to conduct the work. 

It may also be worth contacting Skoda CS and make them aware of the situation, just in case there is any fall out from this further down the line. 

Bare in mind, when I raised a dispute with SUKCS reference my above experience, they stated they do not get involved in Dealership performance issues. 

(And before anyone cries BS, I have it in writing from them.) 

2 hours ago, palmerama said:

It's only a slight dent just below the passenger door, but it has taken the paint off. Looks like a door's been opened on it, then the other car's raised (someone got out). The dealer pointed it out when I went to pick it up and said they'd pay to get it fixed, but their dent and paint guys weren't in that day. 

I'd bought from a dealer 2 hours form home as they were cheapest on CarWow, so he suggests I get a quote from this local SMART repair company and they'll foot the bill.  

Here's the question: will this affect my warranty if it's not done by the dealer? What if something goes wrong? Dealer says he can't see why it'd affect it, which is strangely vague. Skoda Customer Services also didn't seem to have a clue on the phone, said to go with whatever the dealer says, then said they thought it probably would affect it. So no idea.

Any ideas? And how can I get a definitive answer?

My basic feeling is I shouldn't have to be putting any work or worry into getting this sorted. It's £30K's worth of brand new car.

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

Our Karoq picked up a similar small dent on the nearside rear door whilst parked at East Mids Airport back in June. NO one to claim against as could have been absolutely anyone and only spotted it when we got home and unloading the car. Only saving grace was that it didn't break the paint. First battle scar waiting for number two probably in a supermarket car park (careless trolley)!:angry:

So annoying. I was in Iraq when a dealer delivered my new car to SWMBO with a dent they had done since I saw the car mid PDI. Even though they repaired it, 2 years down the line I wasn't happy with the paint match but I was stuck with it.

Just seen this post, I'm in a similar "battle" with my dealer at the moment.

When I picked up my car I spotted 4 dents in the bonnet that were missed on the dealers PDI..... not sure how they missed them but that's a different story. I assume they were caused on the transporter.

The dealer said he could get them repaired by Paintless Dent Removal but their dent guy took one look and said it would require filling and spraying. The dealer then tried to get me to send it to their body shop. I refused and asked for a new bonnet. I'm now in limbo driving around in a "new" car with a dented bonnet because they wont commit to a new bonnet. 

It has been raised to Skoda customer care but this has so far only had the effect of slowing things down (tbh they have been pretty useless).

Have you asked for any compensation? I am, as your new car will effectively be a damaged repair?

20180706_192755.jpg

21 minutes ago, Rich_H said:

Just seen this post, I'm in a similar "battle" with my dealer at the moment.

When I picked up my car I spotted 4 dents in the bonnet that were missed on the dealers PDI..... not sure how they missed them but that's a different story. I assume they were caused on the transporter.

The dealer said he could get them repaired by Paintless Dent Removal but their dent guy took one look and said it would require filling and spraying. The dealer then tried to get me to send it to their body shop. I refused and asked for a new bonnet. I'm now in limbo driving around in a "new" car with a dented bonnet because they wont commit to a new bonnet. 

It has been raised to Skoda customer care but this has so far only had the effect of slowing things down (tbh they have been pretty useless).

Have you asked for any compensation? I am, as your new car will effectively be a damaged repair?

20180706_192755.jpg

Personally I think you should have got this sorted before you picked the car up as now you have accepted the car they are not going to be in any hurry to rectify the dents to your satisfaction which I agree should be a new bonnet.

When I collected my Fabia I brought a bright torch and spent 10min glancing over every area of the car for damage or ill-repairs.

I recommend everyone to do the same on collection.

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:13, Vectis said:

Personally I think you should have got this sorted before you picked the car up as now you have accepted the car they are not going to be in any hurry to rectify the dents to your satisfaction which I agree should be a new bonnet.

I agree.

Rich H - that is disgraceful service from the dealer. No way should that have been missed when doing the PDI and cleaning etc.

If you don't get some satisfaction fast I'd start the returns process.

• Like 1

A new bonnet can come from the factory ready to fit.

If the person accepting the car off the transporter missed that, or whoever removed the protective cover then some retraining is required, 

in using a broom and dust pan, because they are in the wrong job.

Is the Dealer Principal refusing to hand over his car as your courtesy car and driving yours until the bonnet arrives?

* I would be parking it up at the front door of the showroom with a sign in the windscreen and an arrow, & saying, 

* look at the bonnet, this is the standard of new car delivery at this dealership.*

I hope you told Skoda UK about this farce.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us     An Official Dealers Principal Dealer needs retraining, maybe as a Refuse Collector.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1