Maxidot - Warning. Error.........

1.4TSI.

Just recently a message or warning appears for the blink of an eye on the maxidot screen, accompanied by a single warning 'bong' By the time I have heard the bong, looked down the message has gone! There are about 5 lines in orange with WARNING at the top and under that ERROR then some text but by that time it's gone.

It only appears once and within a mile or so but not on every journey, it's so fast it's almost like it realises it's a mistake so quickly cancels itself.

Anyone else come across this? Could take it to a dealers who would want to charge a diagnosis fee + vat then tell me they cannot find anything wrong :mad:

13 hours ago, dunc69 said:

@ajw1100 is your car DSG?

If so, this may be your error:

Could be, although I only see the message for the blink of an eye and happens randomly, not seen it for over a week now. I have purchased the VW extended warrantly when the 3 years were up so hope this will cover it if the problem is the gear shift switch.

14 hours ago, ahenners said:

Have you checked the "vehicle status" on the main infotainment screen? Any errors or warnings should show in there.

Not around the car at the moment but will check that as soon as I can.

The car runs fine, the warning only appears when driving.

Checked the vehicle status, nothing showing there. Looks like a call to the dealers......

Just now, ajw1100 said:

Checked the vehicle status, nothing showing there. Looks like a call to the dealers......

If you have that as an option then that's the best bet. Will likely have logged fault codes even if the warning/error isn't retained in Vehicle Status.

On 22/07/2018 at 12:56, ajw1100 said:

The only problem is that the dealer may charge you for a diagnostic.  You may have a friendly VCDS owner nearby who can read the fault codes - I'm in Berkshire and would be more than happy to help, but I guess that's too far.

Try here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

Hi AJW. I've been seeing this same thing the last couple of weeks about 5 minutes (3 miles) into a journey, but only occasionally. It bongs and the message is gone before I can read it. I'm interested to hear how you get on.

2.0 tdi+dsg 64plate

If it is the error Dunc suggests then maybe the door switch/wiring is loose.... and thinking I'm exiting the car.

["Please move selector to Park before jumping to your death"]

No errors showing on infotainment system.

Ah - I see the other recent/current posts about this same problem.

Thanks Dunc for pointing it out.

Also Jaygemson's post this last Friday "Thanks Reading Skoda".

Seems I need to get the dsg selector changed - fortunately I have extended warranty AND skoda used car warranty.

Currently trying to get rain-sensing controller fixed under warranty but they claim windscreen mounts for controller too loose and its not a skoda screen (auoglass changed it a yr ago for prev owner). The windscreen is covered by warranties but the rain-sensor is!

Maybe I'll get them to agree what to do about the screen before I mention this other repair.

Hi Hermit.

No news, the popup has not returned over the last few weeks and I have been too busy with other things so not found the time to have the car looked at. If it comes back I will make the call though.

If I could read the message that might help, I much prefer keeping my eyes on the road and not on the maxidot screen.

On 27/07/2018 at 15:25, jaygemson said:

The only problem is that the dealer may charge you for a diagnostic.  You may have a friendly VCDS owner nearby who can read the fault codes - I'm in Berkshire and would be more than happy to help, but I guess that's too far.

Try here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

Thanks for the advice. That is my thought, hopefully they will not try and they owe me some favours anyway. I have decided to keep the car so might have an investigate of VCDS, but am wary of trying something I know nothing about and then screw the car up :crying:. Mind you I do love to play a bit.

Anyone seen the book 'A dummies guide to VCDS' anywhere?

• 1 year later...

I just had a red car symbol/drawing appear in the Maxidot for about 5 seconds accompanied by a ping. No indication of any faults anywhere and car running as normal, Called dfealer, but they have no idea what it could be. 

I get this sort of thing. Luckily last time it stayed on the VC long enough for me to get a photo of it,

What I found annoying was when I did a OBD11 scan the faults disappeared and left two unknown codes, it has happened 3 more times since and the same two codes appear each time P019800 & P019600.

Hence a trip to the dealer on September 30th for rectification work,

I have sent the dealer the two photos and the OBD11 dumps of the codes, so hopefully they can order the correct parts in advance.

11 hours ago, beecoh said:

I just had a red car symbol/drawing appear in the Maxidot for about 5 seconds accompanied by a ping. No indication of any faults anywhere and car running as normal, Called dfealer, but they have no idea what it could be. 

Collision warning not a fault. The front sensor picked up something too close to the car.

• Like 2

Yep. It can be quite erratic at times it also works in reverse gear too if you let the car go back at anything more than a crawl.

I know that when it hit the emergency brake because some stupid woman kept coming towards me at speed, I shoved it in reverse and tried to go backwards at speed to get out of the way and it (stupid thing) stopped me doing it.

Edited by TheWanderer

On 22/07/2018 at 07:19, dunc69 said:

@ajw1100 is your car DSG?

If so, this may be your error:

This is what I see also. Only 1.5 years old and I've driven it quite gently. The error only started to appear since the last service 6 months ago. And only intermittently, like every 2nd or 3rd drive and only at the beginning of the drive. The thread seems to allude that there is a genuine gear-shift problem that needs rectifying. What would happen if I just kept driving with it? So far my vRS has performed as normal for me.

I had the red car drawing appear again in the Maxidot when a car in front stopped  and I had to brake suddenly. I am beginning to think the Personalisation was changed at the last service and it could be due to this. I am not too worried about it as the car is running ok.

I had the car do a full emergency brake or UBA (Unsolicited Brake Application) the other day with nothing in front of me for a good 50m and so I switched off front assist for the remainder of the journey, unfortunately it throws up an annoying error on the dashboard/VC and no way to rid myself of it. 

So in the end I reinstated it much to my annoyance. But it hasn't tried to intervene since even travelling over the same bit of road as when it did the full emergency brake without due cause. 

This car is becoming more and more of a pain in the arse that whatever I could have imagined. 

• 3 weeks later...