PreFL MFSW retrofit to PreFL without MFSW will it work??

Hi all,  I want to fit a MFSW in my PreFL O2, I have ordered one for the right price out of a PreFL O2, looks the same but with buttons. Mine is the elegance model so has all the bells and whistles apart from heated seats.

My question to you good folk is will this plug and play or have I got to buy a loom and/or a control module? To throw another spanner in the works, I have already removed the standard Stream HU and retrofitted a Bolero HU along with the CAN Gateway, will this set up work? BTW, No bluetooth unit is connected if that makes a difference.

Kind Regards,

Wig.

It can and has been done, it may be worth doing a search as i can't remember who has done it and what was needed, another spanner in the works is the MFSW fitted to cars with the Bolero head unit had slightly different buttons fitted to steering wheel; so might need a set of these as well.

Edited by Ju1ian1001

I have found a lot of threads on here, but all are about fitting a O3 MFSW to an O2 and others that mention using Superb buttons in an O2 etc..... gets very confusing, so I thought that I'd the question. Thanks for replying so quickly, I didn't know the Bolero unit used different buttons on the MFSW. I'll have to look into that, unless anyone else can kindly point me in the right direction?

Cheers Ju1ian1001!!

You may need the matching steering wheel controller and airbag loom for your car. If you could put up an auto scan so we can see what is already fitted to your car then it would help. More info on steering wheel controllers is available on the ross-tech site here

• 2 weeks later...

Based on a 1K0 953 549 BC and this page: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions#Part_Number_1K0-953-549

It doesn't look like it'll support a MFSW and will need replacing.

You might also want to add 42 to the installation list in the CAN gateway :)

Thanks Langers2k, I have added 42, didn't realise it wasn't there, someone else coded my new gateway so I have found myself correcting his wrong doings myself over time!

So by that chart, it seems that it will work but not operate the cruise control. Am I right in thinking that? I only really want it for the stereo controls, but all will be nice in the future!

Just plugged it in and nothing works, not even a light on the wheel, I didn't change any settings via vcds though, suppose that might help, after thought is a wonderful thing! Do I need to change the slip ring aswell, if so, does anyone have any part numbers for either or both the new fitments?

Kind Regards

Hi,

I just did this a couple of days ago. I have a y2008 PreFL octavia, 1.6 MPI.

I ordered the following parts:

Stering wheel:

Steering wheel itself: 1Z0 419 091 R/S or 3U0 419 091 N/P

Buttons:

- 1Z0 959 537 A - this is with the phone buttons and the vioce control for bluetooth

- 1Z0 959 538 - this is for the volume and track controls

Control unit in the steering wheel: 1P0959542

Steering wheel airbag cable for MSFW: 3T0971584A

I ordered these (1. to 4.) as a complete steering wheel off ebay, it was ~60EUR.

MSFW control unit:

1K0953549CH

I also ordered this off ebay, it was ~65GBP.

The retrofit is not really complicated, Check out this video: 

After fitting the mechanical parts only the VCDS/Obdeleven coding was needed. I made a screenshot of my original MFSW control unit (1K0953549C) which turned out to be very useful since the 1K0953549CH has more coding options.

My MSFW, since it had buttons for the bluetooth controller, needed to be coded as an MSFW with push-to-talk. I ended up having the long coding to be 0000334, where

0000x00 is Multi functional steering wheel without triptronic and with push to talk installed (if one has no voice control buttons on the wheel but the other ones with rewind/etc. then this is 1)

00000x0: Cruise control system with 4 positions via blinker stalk installed (without cruise control this is 0)

000000x: Rear wiper installed, board computer via wiper stalk installed

Check out a picture of the result and also a video how the vioce control works in my car.

Pic:

20180805_185937.thumb.jpg.105abc0e65f3e1326bfe94f01eaf2436.jpg

Video:

Edited by olesz

Great help, thanks Olesz, bought the control module as you described, it was one of the codes I had been looking at against the chart that ross tech have, installed it today and all works well, but now I have no PAS, despite driving and doing the setting sequence by turning the wheel left to right with 30 second gaps between. Any one have any clue? I will put up an auto scan for you all, cheers! No cruise control from normal stalks either, but i think this is down to adaptation rather than a fault as there are 2 choices for that, but the steering assist is the main thing, it's like driving my old MK1 and 2 Astra's!! :evilgrin:

Log-OCTI 1-TMBGE21Z572032773-410630km-255153mi.txt

Edited by wig

Hi,

I had the same problem, no PAS after changing the controller.

I had two fault codes, exactly like you have:

- 02546 - steering limit stop - no or incorrect basic settings/adaptation

- 00778 - steering angle sensor - no or incorrect basic settings/adaptation

I think the PAS functionality loss is because of the first one.

Driving a longer distande plus doing the setting sequence with the 30 seconds gap did the trick for me.

Plus I did the procedure described here to elliminate the second one:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Skoda_Octavia_(1Z)_Steering_Assist#Basic_Setting. You can also do it because you have the mk70 ABS module based on your scan attached.

I was also worried that I srewed up something and I have to revert the retrofit to get the PAS back but after ¬ 1 hour of trying the 30 second gap sequence and driving the longer distance (as I've mentioned) made the PAS to come back.

Regards,

/Olesz

I have to admit something regarding the steering wheel buttons which I just realized.

Until now I didn't have any phone calls made or received in the car with the MFSW fitted. This is why I just realized that the receive/end buttons don't work :(.

I don't really understand. Even the voice command buton work, as the video in my earlier post shows. But I cannot receive/end calls using the leftmost two buttons (having the phone pictograms on hem), I have to use the touch screen of the radio...

I'll try to figure out why and share another post if I have any result.

I don't have the bluetooth installed, as I have a stand alone Parrot, so it's not an issue I have come across. Got the PAS sorted finally, just when I thought all was lost it just came on after driving over 30 miles round town! So all I have to sort now is the cruise control, it isn't working on the stalk or the wheel, yet it worked before the installation of the wheel. Maybe just coding, now the PAS is back to normal I will spend more time on that and post up here how I sorted it, unless anyone has any info on this.

Many thanks for all your help!! The wife now wants it installed in her Octi too, and as it's the main tow car which I drive alot, it looks like I will have to do it all again. Happy days!

Thanks again all!

According to the scan you've posted you have a faulty cruise control switch.

1 Fault Found:
00895 - Cruise Control Switch (E45) 
            014 - Defective

Try to check wiring or clean the stalk as described here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00895. Or replace the stalk. Upon replacement do buy an original VW/Skoda make. Chinese ones tend to become faulty.