MPG

I seldom look at my mpg figures. I always run it until it gets just below half full and then top it up.

Whichever Fabia I have had it always seems to take an age for my car to get to half full if I'm just on normal local driving and that suits me fine. :giggle:

Harry

It's good to see people getting close to the Combined figure (64 mpg). It's my first 55 mile commute to work tomorrow in my new 1.0TSi Colour Edition. I'm used to 62+ mpg in my old 1.9 Tdi Fabia Sport. I'll let you know how it goes.  

3 hours ago, roo2609 said:

It's good to see people getting close to the Combined figure (64 mpg). It's my first 55 mile commute to work tomorrow in my new 1.0TSi Colour Edition. I'm used to 62+ mpg in my old 1.9 Tdi Fabia Sport. I'll let you know how it goes.  

Congrats on the new car but don't try and drive it like the 1.9pd as they so different.

You have got to run it in so no low rev lugging like you could in the diesel.

It took me at least a month to transition from a 1.9pd octavia to a mk3 1.4tsi characteristics.

You are unlikely to match the disel economy but you should not be far behind.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2018 at 02:12, Gerrycan said:

Congrats on the new car but don't try and drive it like the 1.9pd as they so different.

You have got to run it in so no low rev lugging like you could in the diesel.

It took me at least a month to transition from a 1.9pd octavia to a mk3 1.4tsi characteristics.

You are unlikely to match the disel economy but you should not be far behind.

Gerrycan, you are right it is quite a transition. I've found that the gear change indicator helpful. It is such a different power curve although the performance (0-60 and combined mpg) of my new and old cars are nearly identical.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2018 at 22:51, roo2609 said:

I averaged over 60 mpg on my first commutes and that included being stuck in roadworks for the last couple of miles on the way to work. I admit I did take it easy on the return journey.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Beddiawl said:

I'm sitting at about 52 long term over 4k miles, the 1.0tsi 95ps impresses me sometimes and I can get around 59-64mpg on a long run! 

The 1.0TSi is certainly an impressive engine both for MPG and performance.

I have a 1.2 TSI 90 with the 5 speed manual gearbox.

I have noticed that in 5th gear at 2 K rpm the speed is about 55 MPH.

Is the speed at 2 K rpm in the 1.2 TSI 110 with the 6 speed manual gearbox, in sixth, the same or higher?

The 1.2 TSI 90 would easily pull a higher gear say with 2 K rpm equating to 70 MPH.

So if the 6 speed manual had a sixth gear that was as above the present five with the other 5 gear ratios unchanged,

I am convinced this would improve my lousy MPG figures of above 60 MPG long term. :rolleyes:

If it was an option to have the 6 speed manual in my 1.2TSI 90 I would have paid for it.

In a hire car I had, Citroen C3 Aircross 1.6 Diesel 100 PS 5 speed manual, the speed was about 70 MPH at 2 K rpm.

Although this higher gearing should help with MPG I only got 46 MPG out of this car.

This hire car also struggled in mountain roads going up hill which probably didn't help with the economy.

To change from second to third in the diesel you needed to go to 3.5 K + rpm in second before you changed up to not bog the engine down by the time you had changed gear.

Citroen also do this car with a 6 speed manual again with a more powerful engine.

My other car also has a 5 speed manual, but the same engine is available with a 6 speed manual in other forms.

Do car manufactures do this on purpose?

I would understand it, if the engine did not have the power to use a higher gear but this is not the case with my cars.

Thanks AG Falco

I have the 1.2L 66kw TSI (that's 90 horsepower in your money).

Last tankful I averaged 4.8L/100km, which converts to 58.8mpg. That's the best figure I've ever achieved - long term average is about 5.1L/100km (55.3mpg)

I've noticed fuel consumption does rise quite noticeably in summer, when the aircon runs pretty much non-stop, to around 5.6L/100km (50.4mpg)

But in any event I'm very happy with the overall fuel economy.

Well of course as we all know it depends how you drive. There are some locals to me for example, who habitually keep going right up to the traffic lights nearby then screech to a halt, when anyone could see from 200 yds back that they were on red or about to be. Then there are the gents who are always doing 80-90 in the outside lane when it is well known that overcoming wind resistance at that speed will always use more fuel than doing 60-70 and you will only save a couple of minutes on the average 20 mile trip. OK so I have a 1.2/90 estate and over the last three years I am averaging 57 mpg, very pleased as the previous Roomster only managed 42. Sadly the old Roomster is no longer available; I bet it would have done a lot better if it had the 1.2/90 in it but it didn't. Oh yes, I didn't sell/trade in the Roomy, a geezer going too fast in a Mondeo crushed it into the back of the car in front of me and it was a write off.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about you Roomster. It amazes me how badly some people drive and often, as you say, their speed gains them little time advantage.

I was quite shocked when a colleague told me that he couldn't understand why when drives at 90 on cruise control and he doesn't manage anywhere near their car's combine economy figures. Their chin hit the floor when I explained that any form of breaking (or not anticipating the road) was also bad for their fuel economy!

• Sad 1

Currently averaging about 45mpg combined the now, this long weekend the Furby is getting over 400 miles on the clock, the most the car will have done in a weekend, more likely its doing a months worth of driving from Friday to Monday going to Ayr,Edinburgh, Selkirk, Ayr and back to Edinburgh.

Davy

14 minutes ago, Offski said:

Was that like usually 520 miles from a tank & up to 640 miles from a tank full then 45.546 litres or so to fill up again?

Because a lot of my journeys are to places with cheap fuel, I always fill up there whatever is left in the tank, and note the mileage done since last fill-up. So from 200 to 450 miles.  Then I feed the data into Fuelly. Just noticed the MPG is improving year by year.

Oh, I always fill to first click as described in the manual.

Edited by Eeeekkk

whoa, this could (is) just my addiction to my local back roads but my average over the 12months and 14k miles ive done this year is 42mpg in my mk3 1.2 TSi, although that will drop further after payday this month... :devil:;) 

• 1 month later...

Great, but many could not be doing with the average speed,

& the Skoda / VW problem was & is that though that is the achievable economy which is very good, & because VW knew how to build 3 cylinder 1.4TDI's and get C02 g/km results in the old EU tests, when under WLTP / RDE testing the MPG might be achieved but not acceptable emissions.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.  Just do not have to publish the real world emissions...

You can get the advertised MPG is you are willing to drive at 55/60 on the motorway. But it's duller than dishwater to do so. However 70/75 MPG is possible at the usual cruising speeds if I put the 'speed donger' on at 80kph (!) and mostly lurk at 70ish.

I also live in a really hilly area and most journeys are 20 miles+ , hence the great economy.

• Like 1

What goes up must come down, so if the first 10 miles with a cold engine is down mostly, then coming up mostly is when engine at an efficient operating temp, 

but that is with usual diesels, 

the Euro 6 1.4TDI issue as VW finally found out was the quick warming up also went with Over Heating issues.

OK if you are not having this but not so good with those that are.

Unreal that after decades of building diesel engines they would get the water pumps so wrong and blame the coolant.

57 minutes ago, Offski said:

What goes up must come down, so if the first 10 miles with a cold engine is down mostly, then coming up mostly is when engine at an efficient operating temp, 

but that is with usual diesels, 

the Euro 6 1.4TDI issue as VW finally found out was the quick warming up also went with Over Heating issues.

OK if you are not having this but not so good with those that are.

Unreal that after decades of building diesel engines they would get the water pumps so wrong and blame the coolant.

Do have firm data on that yet? We know it's happening, just not how prevalent it is.