17 inch alloy wheels for winter tyres

Muzz

Hi all

I would like to purchase some 17” wheels to put winter tyres on.

the size I’m looking for is 17x7 with a centre bore of 57.1 and a PCD of 5x112 but I’m not sure what offset (ET) they should be.

so if anyone could give me some advice or if any owner has the standard 17” alloy wheels then it states it on the back of the wheel.

My current wheels are the 19” and I can’t get winter tyres for that size.

Any help would be much appreciated 

thank you in advance

Muzz

My summers on the SEL 4x4 are 18" so I ordered a set of 17" rims with winter tyres this morning from http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/  Had to call them as they haven't updated their site for new models. 
215/55/17 ET 45mm was the size I went for, and very helpful on the phone.

• Thanks 1

Yes my car is Karoq edition 1.5 tsi, my previous car was a mondeo. Thank you both for the fast and helpful response.

I  can recommend the 5-spoke Dezent RE 17x7 ET45 wheels I use for winter tyres on my Octavia VRS (the standard summer wheels are 18x7.5 ET51).  The RE is available in silver or black.  Very easy to clean.  Available for around £90 each. 

• Thanks 1

When I had the Yeti a few of my mates had full winter tyre sets and they used the steel wheels which Skoda supplied as the spare wheel - at that time cheaper and more robust that some of the alloys around. My Karoq has a 16" steel spare in the boot - might be worth comparing.

17" wheels on Ateca SE are ET45 IIRC, so Karoq should be the same.  My winters are 235/55 17s and are just at the limit of where the GPS and Speedo agree. I've used 7.5" wide rims though as I already had them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just purchased a set of 17” alloys and was wondering about this TPMS (Tyre pressure monitoring system) and should I have to pay for modules in each wheel or are they controlled by the ABS? Which system does the Karoq have?

seems really confusing for me as I think that when I change to different wheels it will throw up a warning light.

please if anyone has the answer to 1 or all my questions I will be very grateful.

I’m in the uk

thank you kindly

Agreed that the information is confusing.

You don't need sensors fitted to the wheel. Fit the wheels and set your pressures correctly then you can recalibrate the TPMS in your Columbus/Amundsen 

I'd agree with what windsurfer answered.

As I understand it, it is the wheel speed sensor component of the ABS system that does this job. In simplified terms, when you set the TPMS it stores the current RPM /rotation speed of the wheel, for the pressures you have pumped  (it doesn't have any idea if you are at 32 or 40 psi).

If you get a puncture, the wheel effectively shrinks and the RPM / rotation speed increases. The wheel speed sensor spots the change and then alerts you.

While it is called tyre pressure monitoring - it's not really correct.  It is really spotting a change in wheel speed that most likely indicates a loss of air.