Grinding noise

By way of an update, Skoda factory are reporting this 'characteristic' to come from the 'friction compensator', part of the steering apparently. No idea what this does (nor did the service advisor - other than to say its a part of the progressive steering system)

Anyway - I finally received written confirmation of this today - next stop, raising a formal complaint with Skoda UK.

I will add any updates as I go

• Like 2

Hmmm, interesting. My service told me that it is SW update of transmission.

whatever it is... the question is, are they masking the problem with SW, or really doing soemething.

Edited by ppejic

On 17/10/2019 at 00:07, Adamsdad said:

By way of an update, Skoda factory are reporting this 'characteristic' to come from the 'friction compensator', part of the steering apparently. No idea what this does (nor did the service advisor - other than to say its a part of the progressive steering system)

Anyway - I finally received written confirmation of this today - next stop, raising a formal complaint with Skoda UK.

I will add any updates as I go

Two Kodiaqs, after applying SW patch as grinding noise solution, has returned the noise back after few days. Not completely, but again audible.

• 2 weeks later...

Front assembly, mounting point behind right wheel. it is shifted to outside 5-8mm.

72997013_3380503351967313_7485281055147032576_n.thumb.jpg.db9d1ace4f55c9c4320060b2af7e2e79.jpg

The washer must be in center of holed, but it is not..

At left wheel (driver side) it is moved to inside (same direction) but not more than 4mm.

My conclusion is that the front assembly is angled to chassis. If this can affect out problem, I don't know, but the Camber of front wheels is not same. One wheel is more angled than other.

Edited by ppejic

• 2 months later...

I bought KODIAQ 4x2 and i`m very satisfied, but yesterday and today i can notice a small noise wile driving on 2nd shift on low torque.

it`s like two metals, grinding together.. or when you pres and release the pedal fastly...(like krrrrr) than it stops when i drive faster..

i have opened a case on authorized skoda distributor and now i am waiting for they response..

i`m a bit disappointed anyone had similar case?

My experience is just like this description. 

I have a 4x4 Kodiaq model 2018 150hp diesel. 

I can notice this sound in my car as well under these circumstances.

On 30/09/2019 at 16:04, Adamsdad said:

Does anyone know of a satisfactory fix for this grinding noise. I bought a new Sportline 2.0d 150 dsg  in July 18 and I first noticed the noise in April/ May 19. Only happens on left turns - but once you notice the noise it will haunt you forever.

Reported at first service and has been back in 3 times. The latest is that the dealer (Mitchells) checked a similar model configuration and that one makes the noise too. Rather than accept there is a build problem, Skoda are now saying its a characteristic!

Any advice would be welcome. Suffice to say I'm very very disappointed.

In the meantime - if anyone is buying a Kodiaq - look out for this noise

I have just noticed a faint noise on left turn as well - car has only done a few hundred miles but I'll monitor it.  If it is just a characteristic than fair enough but if something needs fixing it should be fixed

19 hours ago, aquazi said:

I have just noticed a faint noise on left turn as well - car has only done a few hundred miles but I'll monitor it.  If it is just a characteristic than fair enough but if something needs fixing it should be fixed

"characteristic" is a loosely worded term which enables manufacturers to avoid expensive defect repairs and fob off concerned customers.

I wouldnt tolerate a noisy washing machine costing £500 so I am not about to accept a noisy car costing £40,000 + especially when some VAG cars do not emit any noise from the gearbox!

53 minutes ago, ppejic said:

from December '19 is available DSG update regarding this noise.

After update, noise is still there but with lower intensity.

Thanks, how do I get this update please?

One just solved in Germany. A DSG SW update resulted with NO improvement and after that the gearbox mount is replaced. No more noise. The gearbox mount is not replaced with same part number but with "new designed" part.

Edited by ppejic
  • Thanks 1

As more information collected are, sooner the problem will be solved. I would like if more members with this problem are involved in solution search... but yes, it is easier to wait for official solution :)

Additional info, it is also confirmed that in this TPI only SW update is applied. The change of DSG mount is not prescribed as following measure.

My impression after hundreds of pages of several forums about this topic have read, it is not issue with DSG or DSG-mounts or of any other part. If it is so, Skoda would know about problematic LOT numbers and would correct it before car is produced, but Skoda really has no clue what the cause of problem is. In fact, this problem occures sporadicaly without any rule. This leads me to think that it is a human mistake in assembly process or maybe to high tolerances in assembly proces (bigger tolerances -> faster car assembly).

Does anyone know, does Skoda have separate production lines for Kodiaq/Karoq/Superb/....?

For people willing to pay, this official/legal link could be very usefull.
https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do

Edited by ppejic

I have been listening carefully when driving my Kodiaq on left turns and I can say that sometimes I don't get any sound, sometimes a bit more - it is not consistent and the sound varies - sometimes it sounds like wind passing through some steel, machinery - it is a mystery to me but really doesn't bother me - I just hope no damage is being done 🙂

• 5 months later...

Officially, TPI with DSG SW update is not applicable at my DQ380.

Skoda said that they never heard before about this issue with FWD and DQ380

They will call me if they find solution.