Columbus updates

V15 for Western Europe would be the latest map version - the Columbus will show this as version 8515 once installed.

To install and use the maps, Firmware Version 5238 is the one required.

I'm pretty sure a 2010 should be OK with that but perhaps an expert like Rustynuts will confirm...

Just a short story I'd like to share with you guys regarding the Columbus and using different maps (device itself and the DL DVD) ... so, I went to Hungary (I'm from Croatia, as it turns out, both countries are various East/West map blocks as that's how VAG makes them available) ...  I initially had the only formally available East v13 map, and had a DVD v15 West map ... so, I've inserted the DVD, the unit asked me whether or not I'd like to overwrite the current map on the device with the DVD-based one, or if I'd like to use DVD as a map source ... I chose the latter ... of course, the thing is slightly slower, but you quickly notice that there is much more data (v15, makes sense) ... but, I've lost access to the on-device map, basically, like I was out of the map range ... since that didn't bother me too much (I know how to reach Hungary, it's 20 min drive anyways from my place ... :)), I've decided to ignore it, and once I entered Hungary, used the DVD maps for navigation ... a lot of details, pretty accurate, but the thing died on me twice (I doubt it's the car vibrations or the quality of the DVD, probably the unit was just overworked - and showed a map error (can't remember the exact message), and I had to reset it (the three-button trick), and afterwards it was all fine ... when it was time to go back, I just used the new waypoint Home button (my predefined home address), and it actually calculated something (somehow surprising, since the DVD map doesn't cover Croatia) ... I didn't pay much attention to that, I guessed that it will take me just to the border ... reaching the border, I was surprised (pleasantly, that the unit somehow seamlessly made a transfer to the onboard maps (v13) and I came home with full navigation) ... so, I guessed at this point that you could use the on-device and the DVD maps in parallel, which would be great for those who're faced with the issue of traveling between map blocks (regarding the coverage) ... of course, after a day or two, I've quickly discovered a downside to the loaded DVD with the v15 maps ... the unit was slow to boot, immediately after entering the car (not even putting the key in), it would start loading the DVD, like it was preparing itself for use - the Columbus didn't actually turn on though) ... so, I've decided to remove the DVD, because I won't be traveling to Hungary or any of the countries in the West map block any time soon ... and, here's where it got really interesting ... I've lost the on-device maps ... nothing, it was just displaying map error, load the navigation disc ... I've tried to return the v15 disc, nothing changed (it was read, but the error message didn't go away, making the navigation useless) ... then, I've tried inserting the v13 maps on the DVD ... also nothing had changed ... of course, several resets, and what not haven't helped either ... finally, I decided to to the upgrade of the software as a last resort ... my unit is a G model (for @Rustynuts and a few others that know they way around the production codes, it is a 3T0035680G, H10, with the SW: 5238) ... I've decided to risk it and, put the latest available one (not the 6xxx version as that is only compatible with the 14's and onward), so I've selected the SW:5274, got the .iso, started the update procedure, it took some 30 minutes, and after all was done ... the on-board maps were once again available (Map version HDD 8350, which is th e East v13 map package) ... what happened, why it happened, what helped, I don't have any idea ... but, it works ... now, regarding the newer firmware, I've immediately noticed a faster boot time (since the ignition and the time it took to start playing the previously selected source of music (radio, SD or CD), and the GPS positioning is literally within 3-4 seconds ... on the previous firmware it took sometimes some 2-3 minutes before the car was put in motion on the map .... of course, this short story doesn't end here, I've tried to change the Columbus boot logo from the stock one (those who know what I'm talking about know what I'm talking about), but I've received an error while attempting what was previously done several times without issues ... the error that was displayed during the "upgrade" procedure was mentioning a Downgrade error, since the current and the new media versions are the same (5764302 ... so now I'm stuck with the old green Skoda logo on the boot screen ... I could live with that (I've upgraded all the emblems on my '08 to the silver only emblems, but I'd like to know what is the issue with the boot logo change procedure?

Of course, I have a lot of photos of the update procedure, but I'd like to skip uploading them, to avoid giving people false hope that all this is painless and risk-free ... :D

I suspect your unit was faulty to start with (or rather the software (5238) installed on it was corrupting), and finally after being subjected to the twin maps scenario it gave up somehow. Once you loaded the newer software (5274) then the unit was restored to full function and things were back to normal.

I'd say if you'd reloaded the 5238 software then you'd have the same result as loading 5274, a unit which boots up much faster and works as it's supposed to.

As regards the boot logo and the downgrade error. The system knows what level of software it has loaded on it, and it also knows the level of software you're trying to load. The boot logo software will be based on some earlier level and the Columbus sees this and tells you there's a problem. You can force the unit to "downgrade" if you wish by pressing and holding (all at the same time) "Setup" - "Microphone" - "Eject" buttons until the unit shuts down. Then when it boots up it'll complain the unit is unable to start and "Please insert the software update disc" or suchlike. At this point, insert your boot logo software disc and it should run through the load.

Be aware, I get many units sent to me with critical software errors caused by people trying to load custom boot logo images etc. and some of the units remain critically damaged (ECU Order.txt fault) and require mainboard replacement. It's entirely possible the issue with your unit failing was a result of previously loading such software. ;)

By the way, anyone of you Columbus owners noticed that the turn-by-turn instructions (voice guidance), will only be played on the front speakers (with lowering the music volume, if it was configured that way), the rear passengers will still have the music without nav interruption?

@Rustynuts - So, to summarize, there is no sure-fire way to update the boot logo in the current FW? By the way, I still have no idea how the maps actually work, I went to Vienna yesterday, and had the full map coverage with only the onboard v13 East (the Austria should be included on the West map pack)? Of course, the DVD was empty, no v15 inside like on the previous trip.

You can change the boot logo between the original and another Skoda Lux logo using VCDS, but any custom boot logo can cause issues in my experience. You may be lucky and have no issues, or you may end up with a useless unit, or anything in between.

• 3 weeks later...

Skoda is wrong - the dealers tend to be clueless when it comes to this area. 

4120 may have been the latest version when the Columbus in your car was manufactured (provided it is the original) but that does not mean it is the latest version that it can use.  

The 5238 is the one most talked about as it is needed to run the latest releases of the maps. The eBay pirates often provide 5238 with V14 and V15 of the maps because of this.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi guys! 

I'm new around here and also a new owner of a Superb 2 facelift.

I've searched to find If there is any update for my car's system and I could not find any for version 6xxx. My dealer tolf me there are no updates to be done, but somehow I doubt that.

In the attached picture you can see the actual versions on my car.

Can you please share some of your knowledge with me? Thx in advance!

20190217_131851.jpg

20190217_131851.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi, all. 

Just a query , please:

My current Map version HDD update is 8536.  Is this 8536-version from the V16 disc, please?  Or is it from the V17 disc, please? 

My unit was updated in 2019.

Many thanks in advance!

20230318_163407.jpg

20230318_163501.jpg

20230318_181453.jpg

Hi again,

I'm wondering if you know if the LATEST software version for my unit is indeed SW 6276, please? 

Many thanks in advance again. 

1 hour ago, Xande007 said:

Hi again,

I'm wondering if you know if the LATEST software version for my unit is indeed SW 6276, please? 

Many thanks in advance again. 

Unless mistaken, 5274 is the latest version for your hardware, and 6276 is for a different hardware revision.