Aftermarket Head Unit Recommendations

Hello,

I am enjoying this thread.

I have a Columbus (RNS510) fitted to my 2014 Superb which has died, and I am considering replacing with an aftermarket unit. I have read there are units made by Alpine and a Pioneer etc, that are direct replacements. Can somebody recommend a unit/supplier?

Thank you 

Kevin

1 hour ago, Banjokevin said:

Hello,

I am enjoying this thread.

I have a Columbus (RNS510) fitted to my 2014 Superb which has died, and I am considering replacing with an aftermarket unit. I have read there are units made by Alpine and a Pioneer etc, that are direct replacements. Can somebody recommend a unit/supplier?

Thank you 

Kevin

I have Xtrons in my car, and I really cant recommend them enough.

Google play store so spotify, google maps even netflix and youtube as I've found useful when mc donalds is busy.

Supports my parking sensors and ac controls and I've added a reversing camera. 

7 eq settings and at the end of the day it does everything an android tablet would do.

2 hours ago, Banjokevin said:

Thanks. Do the Xtrons fit straight in without needing any extra kit/wiring?

My one came with all the cables needed and an adapter plate it was basically a plug and play apart from 4 screws, I would be careful to get one for your car to make sure everythings plug and play 

I went for an Xtrons unit about 6 months ago, I've been pleased with it. It's perhaps a bit more quirky than the Bolero it replaced, but in terms of functionality it's streets ahead of the Bolero and the Columbus. The screen resolution is better than the standard skoda units (although I'd still consider it a bit poor in this day and age), having google maps available is great. I fitted a reversing camera while I was at it, and it works really well.

Fitting it was very straightforward, although I did need to change the fascia surround to the columbus type as I was replacing a bolero.

4 hours ago, chrisund123 said:

I went for an Xtrons unit about 6 months ago, I've been pleased with it. It's perhaps a bit more quirky than the Bolero it replaced, but in terms of functionality it's streets ahead of the Bolero and the Columbus. The screen resolution is better than the standard skoda units (although I'd still consider it a bit poor in this day and age), having google maps available is great. I fitted a reversing camera while I was at it, and it works really well.

Fitting it was very straightforward, although I did need to change the fascia surround to the columbus type as I was replacing a bolero.

Couldn't agree more really, I have also got the reversing camera and wiring it into the stereo took less than 10 minutes, there's even switched power from the reversing gear 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/01/2020 at 23:46, Ididit99 said:

My one came with all the cables needed and an adapter plate it was basically a plug and play apart from 4 screws, I would be careful to get one for your car to make sure everythings plug and play 

Hi,

I am completely useless when it comes to car electronics. My radio is the basic model (cannot seem to remember the name for it). The thing is that I would like to get it upgraded to an android model with GPS (hopefully at a later stage include a rear view camera).

Is it still a simple straightforward  job?

Skoda Scout 2007_ 4x4 140cv_ ideal para viajar

13 minutes ago, kris_kristofferson said:

Hi,

I am completely useless when it comes to car electronics. My radio is the basic model (cannot seem to remember the name for it). The thing is that I would like to get it upgraded to an android model with GPS (hopefully at a later stage include a rear view camera).

Is it still a simple straightforward  job?

Skoda Scout 2007_ 4x4 140cv_ ideal para viajar

Which Xtrons model is compatible with my car? I am struggling to find it.

1 minute ago, kris_kristofferson said:

Which Xtrons model is compatible with my car? I am struggling to find it.

What's the year of your car? Is it pre facelift? I'm almost sure they'll have one compatible

4 minutes ago, kris_kristofferson said:

It's pre

I dont want to say for sure but if your car is 2007-2012 theres a high chance the same stereo will fit, this is one I've just found https://xtrons.co.uk/vw-seat-skoda-various-android-9-0-octa-core-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-ib99mtvpl

This one also looks like it has a canbus that'll allow the ac controls; reversing sensors and steering controls to all work along side the stereo. Along with this you'd also need a facia plate that can also be bought from the xtrons website. I'd would say instead of taking my word for it email them directly and give your car info and that stereo and they'll have a much better idea. One thing to make sure is that you get one with Octa core and 4gb ram 16gb rom, I've had both these and the 2gb versions and it makes a massive difference.

Just now, Ididit99 said:

I dont want to say for sure but if your car is 2007-2012 theres a high chance the same stereo will fit, this is one I've just found https://xtrons.co.uk/vw-seat-skoda-various-android-9-0-octa-core-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-ib99mtvpl

This one also looks like it has a canbus that'll allow the ac controls; reversing sensors and steering controls to all work along side the stereo. Along with this you'd also need a facia plate that can also be bought from the xtrons website. I'd would say instead of taking my word for it email them directly and give your car info and that stereo and they'll have a much better idea. One thing to make sure is that you get one with Octa core and 4gb ram 16gb rom, I've had both these and the 2gb versions and it makes a massive difference.

Thanks man! I have written to them. Hopefully they will get back with feedback

1 hour ago, kris_kristofferson said:

Thanks man! I have written to them. Hopefully they will get back with feedback

No problem, hope it all goes well let me know if you have any problems, I've only done it twice but maybe able to help

They recommended this one (obviously they didn´t recommend to buy it via Aliexpress but I found it there 100€ cheaper!):

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32998886427.html

What is your opinion on it? IOt looks quite good and in the videos it looks really responsive and I think that the 275€ tag on it is actually ok given the reviews on xtrons seen in this thread.

2 hours ago, kris_kristofferson said:

They recommended this one (obviously they didn´t recommend to buy it via Aliexpress but I found it there 100€ cheaper!):

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32998886427.html

What is your opinion on it? IOt looks quite good and in the videos it looks really responsive and I think that the 275€ tag on it is actually ok given the reviews on xtrons seen in this thread.

Just noticed its the 2gb

1 minute ago, kris_kristofferson said:

Just noticed its the 2gb

It is only 2gb but judging by the clips it's a straight swap and will fit stock where as the one I sent needed screwing in, and without taking the old radio out you wouldnt know if the screws would work. You could ask them if they have any 4gb options, the one they sent would be easy to fit and compatible out the box with no trial and error though.

I'd strongly recommend trying to get a Rockchip CPU rather than an Allwinner, and try to get the most recent (PX6 is the current chip at the time of writing, PX5 is still very common and quite decent though).

Can you convert the stereo/housing to the columbus type?

11 minutes ago, chrisund123 said:

I'd strongly recommend trying to get a Rockchip CPU rather than an Allwinner, and try to get the most recent (PX6 is the current chip at the time of writing, PX5 is still very common and quite decent though).

Can you convert the stereo/housing to the columbus type?

Hi Chris,

This is the one that I rather go for: Model: Xtrons PQ89UNVIP

However, I don't know if it would be compatible with my 2007 pre-facelift car. For the fascia I do not worry as there is plenty of available options for this size Din2 head unit in Aliexpress

Could I run into compatibility issues or the non-compatibility is due to the sahpe and size?

If you can physically get it to fit into the hole, I don't see why it would be incompatible! I think thats the one I have in my 2010 Face Lift, and it's a good stereo, I'm very happy with it.

If people can get the columbus to work in a pre face lift car, I can't see any reason why the android head units wouldn't work.

• 2 months later...
On 12/08/2018 at 03:59, HarleQuinn said:

Kenwood DMX-7017DABS

Has everything you require!

20180427_161206.jpg

Hi, I'm a bit new to the Skoda scene, I've got a 2010 Octavia VRS, it's got the dual climate controls like yours, I was wondering it the head unit displays what would normally appear on the standard Bolero unit? Also, does the unit work with the rear parking sensors or would I lose the visual and only get the sound output from the sensors?

On a side note, I reallt like your carbon look centre console trim, where did you get it? I can't find anything anywhere for my car! Is the head units adaptor plate a standard double din unit that you can just find online? 

Any help would be awesome :D

5 hours ago, Koda_VRS said:

Hi, I'm a bit new to the Skoda scene, I've got a 2010 Octavia VRS, it's got the dual climate controls like yours, I was wondering it the head unit displays what would normally appear on the standard Bolero unit? Also, does the unit work with the rear parking sensors or would I lose the visual and only get the sound output from the sensors?

On a side note, I reallt like your carbon look centre console trim, where did you get it? I can't find anything anywhere for my car! Is the head units adaptor plate a standard double din unit that you can just find online? 

Any help would be awesome :D

Hi,

This head unit does not show any displays, I don't feel they are needed with having the dials underneath and the trade off for this unit was worth it.

I didn't have factory parking sensors but the same person who fitted the head unit fitted my sensors and he has the ausio coming out from the car speakers. Yes you will also lose visual but again I don't feel that is too needed.

Thank you, the centre console is just the original pieces I wrapped with carbon wrap off ebay, I did all the silver / aluminium pieces with it!

1 hour ago, HarleQuinn said:

Hi,

This head unit does not show any displays, I don't feel they are needed with having the dials underneath and the trade off for this unit was worth it.

I didn't have factory parking sensors but the same person who fitted the head unit fitted my sensors and he has the ausio coming out from the car speakers. Yes you will also lose visual but again I don't feel that is too needed.

Thank you, the centre console is just the original pieces I wrapped with carbon wrap off ebay, I did all the silver / aluminium pieces with it!

Hi,

Thanks for your pointers, to be fair, I don't think I'm too worried about it really, the dials give enough information on them I guess :)

Was the unit a straight swap for the original unit or did you need any additional looms for it? Final question I promise, the unit doesn't look like it's got a USB port on the front for running Android auto etc... Did you route a cable for this anywhere and if so, where? 

Looks like I need to get on eBay and get myself some of that wrap, might go for black, just think the silver is a bit off really!

8 minutes ago, Koda_VRS said:

Hi,

Thanks for your pointers, to be fair, I don't think I'm too worried about it really, the dials give enough information on them I guess :)

Was the unit a straight swap for the original unit or did you need any additional looms for it? Final question I promise, the unit doesn't look like it's got a USB port on the front for running Android auto etc... Did you route a cable for this anywhere and if so, where? 

Looks like I need to get on eBay and get myself some of that wrap, might go for black, just think the silver is a bit off really!

Promise I'm not paid to say this but I have to go back to xtrons, my unit needed 4 screws to install and came with the cables, steering wheel controls, ac controls, reversing sensors and an after market reversing camera all work out the box + are all displayed on screen and having access to google play store means spotify and google maps works. It was a straight swap and has 3 usb ports with about 2 meters of cable. Android auto does work but you need and extra usb adapter sold on their site although I dont have this so cant comment, i can leave my house withouit a phone now I have this unit and get anywhere in the uk through downloaded maps and listen to any of my songs on spotify. Also my unit fits edge to edge so I have a much larger screen