1st to 2nd kick into gear

Ah, I forgot you have a proper handbrake don't you, the system works differently on a Golf with an electronic HB, I have to press the throttle before the engine restarts.

1 hour ago, gRoberts said:

That'd be fine but I don't use the accelerator to re-start the engine. Removing my foot from the brake pedal, or the car in front moving away does it for me. 

When it restarts and I let my foot off the break, it will start creeping. Sometimes it'll move slowly no matter how hard I mash the accelerator and other times, the slightly breeze causes it to lurch.

That seems to be what I found as well.. quirk of stop/start+DSG. Stop Start off fixes it.. stop start wayyyy to aggresive. I've had it stopping the engine before I've properly stopped sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

That seems to be what I found as well.. quirk of stop/start+DSG. Stop Start off fixes it.. stop start wayyyy to aggresive. I've had it stopping the engine before I've properly stopped sometimes.

Don't get this QUIRK (substitute the world software FAULT) with a manual gearbox, engine is cut at about 2mph when you knock it out of gear whilst braking (2 feet required so could prove tricky for some). Pull away is always smooth unless competitive streak kicks in and car bounces up and down as the engine moves back and forth enabling wheels to hop and tyres to spin frantically trying to deploy the power. Best to grow up and resort to plan B the smooth pull away and pass them discreetly a bit further down the road.:rofl:

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Don't get this QUIRK (substitute the world software FAULT) with a manual gearbox, engine is cut at about 2mph when you knock it out of gear whilst braking (2 feet required so could prove tricky for some). Pull away is always smooth unless competitive streak kicks in and car bounces up and down as the engine moves back and forth enabling wheels to hop and tyres to spin frantically trying to deploy the power. Best to grow up and resort to plan B the smooth pull away and pass them discreetly a bit further down the road.:rofl:

Zero need to explain mate.. manual boxes you can't mess that up.. it does what you tell it to with the pedals and stick :) DSG well I work in software development, QA and UAT.. how mine is currently for certain conditions/scenarios wouldn't have exited with the QA approval believe me lol

4 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Zero need to explain mate.. manual boxes you can't mess that up.. it does what you tell it to with the pedals and stick :) DSG well I work in software development, QA and UAT.. how mine is currently for certain conditions/scenarios wouldn't have exited with the QA approval believe me lol

Amazed how many DSG owners switch off the stop/start but understand because it drove me nuts (still recovering but undergoing therapy) on my 2015 Vrs TDi DSG hatch so after 7 months and 7,000 miles got rid.:cool:

10 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Amazed how many DSG owners switch off the stop/start but understand because it drove me nuts (still recovering but undergoing therapy) on my 2015 Vrs TDi DSG hatch so after 7 months and 7,000 miles got rid.:cool:

I've not driven a Manual with SS but I assume it is like my Mrs's Mini Cooper S - if you don't want it to stop you leave it in-gear with the clutch pedal down - if you want it to stop you take it out of gear and lift the clutch - you don't have that option with DSG and I find that in some situations it stops the engine when you wouldn't want it to - for example at a flowing roundabout where you might want to hold for a few seconds and then filter into a gap - SS would have stopped the engine and adds in a delay whilst the engine starts and the the delay of DSG releasing the electro-clutch.

So I just switch mine off for every trip and only re-enable if I want it on like in traffic queues.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

I've not driven a Manual with SS but I assume it is like my Mrs's Mini Cooper S - if you don't want it to stop you leave it in-gear with the clutch pedal down - if you want it to stop you take it out of gear and lift the clutch - you don't have that option with DSG and I find that in some situations it stops the engine when you wouldn't want it to - for example at a flowing roundabout where you might want to hold for a few seconds and then filter into a gap - SS would have stopped the engine and adds in a delay whilst the engine starts and the the delay of DSG releasing the electro-clutch.

So I just switch mine off for every trip and only re-enable if I want it on like in traffic queues.

Agree my commute involves 14 roundabouts each way (28 per day) so found the cutting out of the engine when I wanted to go incredibly annoying. Secondly I live up a narrow private road with shared access for 7 properties so have no option but to reverse into my drive (both our cars have reversing cameras for a reason). However the SIMPLY CLEVER DSG would cut the engine when I came to a stop outside my house appearing to my neighbours that I have stalled the car, then there is the delay and nonsense whilst you move the lever into reverse and the engine restarts. Yes I could have disabled the stop/start every time I jumped into the car but what a palaver every time I reverse into a parking space. Best £3,000 in depreciation ever during my short ownership.:angry:

My MY17 Manual Octavia, with S/S was a dream. I suppose that's the issue, still getting used to the DSG.

Silly things like coasting to a stop where the car in front pulls away. The engine doesn't always kick back in and you've now got a fairly large gap in front where some one can annoyingly push in.

Find that the worse problems I have are when being flashed in/out of a junction etc. I know people have said you have to take your time but when you need to pull away fast after S/S has stopped the engine, you're snookered :( 

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

My MY17 Manual Octavia, with S/S was a dream. I suppose that's the issue, still getting used to the DSG.

Silly things like coasting to a stop where the car in front pulls away. The engine doesn't always kick back in and you've now got a fairly large gap in front where some one can annoyingly push in.

Find that the worse problems I have are when being flashed in/out of a junction etc. I know people have said you have to take your time but when you need to pull away fast after S/S has stopped the engine, you're snookered :( 

It's the junction esp roundabouts where it needs to be less aggressive for me. I want it to be ready to go and move esp round where i live which is busy roundabout central.. You get gaps the car can easy launch into.. If the engine isn't stopped. I've now adapted and leave a bit more gap to slow for getting the engine started and the car moving ready to commit to work around it.. For the times forget to turn stop start off. I wish there was a long press override which said turn it off and leave it off even cycling the ignition.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scotty72 said:

It's the junction esp roundabouts where it needs to be less aggressive for me. I want it to be ready to go and move esp round where i live which is busy roundabout central.. You get gaps the car can easy launch into.. If the engine isn't stopped. I've now adapted and leave a bit more gap to slow for getting the engine started and the car moving ready to commit to work around it.. For the times forget to turn stop start off. I wish there was a long press override which said turn it off and leave it off even cycling the ignition.

I like the S/S functionality, but it has times where you'd rather it didn't kick in. 

Just going to be one of those things unfortunately :( I may end up disabling it at some point, although to be fair, I rarely use the car, so I can live with it.

7 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

I like the S/S functionality, but it has times where you'd rather it didn't kick in. 

Just going to be one of those things unfortunately :( I may end up disabling it at some point, although to be fair, I rarely use the car, so I can live with it.

I like it too except where I'm telling it not to kick in lol. My car is used evenings and weekends max by me and local trips during the week by the mrs. I can live with s/s accordingly

If you brake gently just prior to stop, S/S won't cut in on the DSG. If you brake firmly it will. If you want to keep it running at roundabouts etc. then you can keep it going by the way you brake. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Kenai said:

If you brake gently just prior to stop, S/S won't cut in on the DSG. If you brake firmly it will. If you want to keep it running at roundabouts etc. then you can keep it going by the way you brake. 

Correct, I know this already but requires practise to perfect every time. The brake pedal is frankly way to sensitive and overservod for my liking. Of course of late if it's trying to heat  up the car initially like this evening driving into town it's not cutting in which suits me just fine.

9 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Correct, I know this already but requires practise to perfect every time. The brake pedal is frankly way to sensitive and overservod for my liking. Of course of late if it's trying to heat  up the car initially like this evening driving into town it's not cutting in which suits me just fine.

Perhaps someone should start a thread and call it "How to adapt your driving style to suit your DSG".:rofl:

18 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Perhaps someone should start a thread and call it "How to adapt your driving style to suit your DSG".:rofl:

Well yes, funnily enough trying to drive an auto as if it was a manual doesn't tend to work very well :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/01/2019 at 20:17, shyVRS245 said:

It's easier to adapt your DSG remap or flash

I've found A/C fan speed 1 down from flat out is both quiet & stops SS cutting in

On 11/01/2019 at 14:48, shyVRS245 said:

I have watched many video's and read many articles that describe JERKY progress at low speeds (1st and 2nd gear) when the car can't decide which gear to be in and seems to take longer than expected to catch up with the driver's throttle input, which is why I prefer a manual gearbox, my shifts are always smooth and defo no head banging passengers due to gearbox indecision. Hope you resolve eventually but remember you could always buy a manual and eliminate the problem once and for all.:dry:

I gather you mean in D driving mode, since it is the computer making those calculations based on driver throttle. For me, in either D or S mode, there is NO jerkiness, only in M when shifting from 1st to 2nd at 2,000rpm and above after stop-start resumes the car engine.

On 11/01/2019 at 17:27, KevC_Derby said:

No problems with any of the 3 DSG equipped cars I’ve owned, it’s an automated mechanical box and shouldn’t be driven like a conventional Torque Converter Auto. You can’t use the throttle in a binary way, it still works best when power is requested smoothly. My guess is if you drove a manual in the same way as you’re driving the DSG in M you’d have some similar issues.

if you are continually driving in M then your driving characteristics learned by the car in D mode won’t happen.

It may be unique to mine, but I tend to drive more in M because D is just too lackadaisical. It prefers the car to be at 1,200rpm even when requesting some power. I dislike that. How is it that the car can "learn" that I would like it to be at 1,500 and above unless cruising?

On 11/01/2019 at 18:30, gRoberts said:

Annoyingly my 7 speed DSG has a similar issue but not sure if that's inexperience.

There are times when starting up again and the car will shoot off quickly and other times nothing what so ever for about 3 seconds (it's moving just not at the speed you'd expect) and then off it goes.

Mine seems to want to get into second really quickly, which often means the revs are too low and it bogs down :( 

Yes, as I said above my D driving mode is sluggish because revs sit at 1,200-1,500/min and pushing it above 1,600 causes it to gear down. Who wants to drive a vRS like that?

On 11/01/2019 at 18:44, Gti Jazz Blue said:

My 2005 A3 TDi DSG didn't have the violent shift action - my 17 230 vRS TSi does - I know how to drive a DSG - I did about 60K Miles in the A3 DSG. Seems to be a feature that they have improved into the box :angry:

So you have the same phenomenon. And I have the same model as yours. I also know the nuances of DSG and I am not aggressive with my driving. I can reproduce the kick when there is a decent amount of power being transferred from 1st to 2nd after stop-start. There isn't any solution to this?

On 11/01/2019 at 19:26, octavia5 said:

When stationary using Stop Start you must just caress the throttle to get an restart and then apply the throttle very slowly and smoothly if you push the throttle to far the instant you restart the engine will try to accelerate hard and this will cause a lurch when changing from 1st to 2nd whether you are in auto or manual, you are simply overloading the drive chain and need to moderate your technique.

You would get the same issue with SS disabled if you applied too much throttle from the off, the change from 1st to 2nd can be quite a jolt, this is a 'feature' of the DSG and you just have to modify your driving style to get the best from the box.

I take heed to this, but I want to reiterate that I drive the car quite gently. It doesn't require a lot of torque to reproduce the "kick" I'm talking about. Just modest acceleration from 1st-2nd at 2,000-2,500 rpm is all it takes for me to get the "kick". To avoid this in M mode I would have to immediately shift from 1st to 2nd to avoid revs going above 1,800 or so. Or I am compelled to go to D mode (too lazy a driving mode) or S mode (too aggressive a driving mode). That's why I like M mode. I get to change gears in the 2,000-3,000rpm range to maintain good power but not overdo the engine.

On 12/01/2019 at 00:34, Scotty72 said:

Yes, that's definitely noticeable. I find the engine stopping as I'm slowing down even going at 5kph or so in 2nd gear. It's like the computer anticipates me coming to a complete stop and it shuts the engine down, and yet all I'm doing is slowing down for a speedbump. :dry:

On 12/01/2019 at 00:55, shyVRS245 said:

How do you make Stop-Start off the default setting? Was that a mechanic-only action?

11 hours ago, SkodaAsh said:

How do you make Stop-Start off the default setting? Was that a mechanic-only action?

VCDS/OBDEleven can disable it, rather than you having to press the button.