Mk2.5 facelift / bolero to pioneer swap

Hi all. 

I purchased my first Skoda this weekend, and got an Octavia vrs  estate tdi CR. The car came with a bolero unit, no Bluetooth. Only Input I have is an aux. I do have a parrot kit installed, but it’s a fairly basic one without AD2p annoyingly. 

Straight away, the stereo doesn’t have the features I like to have, and I’ve always fitted aftermarket stereos in every car I’ve ever owned. 

Im a little confused about how to go ahead with this on the Octavia. I’ve pretty much decided I want the pioneer SPH-DA230DAB unit or similar, and looking at buying the Connects2 ctusk01 info lead to keep the original heater climatronic and parking sensor visuals. 

Now, my questions are:

1: am I overthinking this and I won’t need that specific lead, as the headunit can already process that data?

2: I don’t have steering wheel controls, and the destructions from Connects2 day they are programmed through SWC. Do I need to worry about this? Something to do with setting the visual display (left hand drive / right hand drive). 

3: simply, will it all work ok? Obviously, I need a mic and stuff which I have from a parrot kit installed already. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Usually I can work it out, but I’m completely stumped on this one!

cheers. 

Rob. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

You will need the one for steering wheel controls even if you dont have them. It uses the box as part of the wiring kit to create a fake switched live.

You will need to make sure your pioneer will fit unless you will need a adaptor.

You aren't overthinking it, newer cars with canbus are a pain lol

Also, congratulations on being sensible and not buying one of these nasty chineese ebay specials like most people seem to do on here

No buy Japanese instead, have you had any first hand experience with any said 'Chinese EBay Specials'?

Edited by T2000

Right, I've found the answer to my problem, and thought I'd post up what I've done and how.....

So, I purchased the following:

- Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB

• Apple Carplay 
  • Android auto ( i think)
  • Bluetooth
  • Handsfree calling
  • Spotify
  • Maps through phone (Or purchase the AVIC GPS module for the radio for £600 for navigation)
  • Halfords Pioneer SP-DA230DAB - £360 (If you have a friend who works in Halfords you can get it for £270)

- Connects2 CTUSK01 OR CTUVW01 

• Both the same lead. Both have the same functions.
  • This is an infoadaptor lead which plugs into the reversing camera input for the radio.
  • Also has steering wheel control inputs (requires patch lead)
  • Connects2 CTUVW01 Lead - £149.00

-Standard factory fit USB socket for a Mk6 Golf

• Used to attach to fly lead (below), into the back of the stereo, to replace the AUX socket in the jumbo box.
  • OEM / Factory finish (kind of - see notes with photos)
  • Ebay Link Here - £16.99 (very fast postage)

-  Factory Fit 4 pin to USB fly lead for VW / Skoda

• Attach into USB socket, then attach to back to headunit.
  • Keeps everything tidy and means you can plug Iphone leads in without hiding them behind dash's etc.
  • Ebay link here - £13.99

- Aerial adaptor - Double fakra with phantom lead and DAB aerial

- In car tech fascia

• Skoda Octavia / Yeti fascia - 50-713
  • Can't actually find a link to purchase as I got it from local car audio shop.
  • £30.

- Parking brake bypass 

• saves faffing with the handbrake lead.
  • Gives more functionaility in the headunit (such as updating firmware)
  • If the parking brake lead isn't attached, you can't update the unit.
  • Amazon Link - £12.50

Common questions / answers I found along my way:

- I had a very fancy lead ordered which didn't work for my radio. It was a CD-SVW-UAR.003Ae lead, which will only work with a Pioneer AVIC models with a UART connection the back of the headunit. Do not buy this lead unless you're buying a piooner AVIC. This lead should work and show all the A/C and parking sensors on the screen.

- The lead I do now have does not need to have steering wheel controls to function. This does work with any unit with a reverse camera input. The only function you can't get to is the menu choices to change the drivers side display on the headunit. (LHD / RHD). Other than that, the parking sensors work perfect, and the display for air con and climatronic works.

- You don't need to cut any wires. You need to join the parking sensor wire to between the infoadaptor lead and the pioneer patch lead.

I plugged everything in, split the remote lead into the 3 connections (DAB aerial amplifier, FM aerial amplifier, and Parking brake bypass), and placed DAB aerial on windscreen. The bypass is brilliant as you don't need to run any wires away from the headunit. Saves trying to get the parking brake lead down to the handbrake. Just makes sense.

The USB socket and fly lead hide right underneath the centre console. Pop out the gear gaiter, undo the two T20 screws to take out the bottom storage box. Go into the back seat and pop out the bottom store box, and then take the the air vents out with a plastic removal tool. Undo the 4 T20 screws (2 top in the middle, 2 bottom in the side) and pull the panel back towards the rear of the car. It clips top (centre) and bottom (sides). 

Open the top of the cubby box and lift carefully. Pop out the wire on the back of the AUX socket. Once the wire is off the centre console will lift a little further. Pop out the AUX socket and removal complete.

Feed the USB fly lead down from the radio, behind the heater controls, and down past the gear lever. Feed under the centre console and come through the AUX hole in the box. 

The USB socket is slightly smaller than the AUX socket that came out. I took up the difference with some electrical tape wrapped round it and pushed back into the hole. It does leave a little gap around the edge, but still found it tidier than a Iphone lead appearing from under some plastic somewhere / drilling a hole somewhere. 

I hid the info adaptor behind the heater control as there wasn't enough space behind the stereo. Just ran the leads down and behind, and the radio went in perfectly. 

So, in conclusion. I now have a pioneer radio, with carplay and bluetooth, with my climatronic stuff and parking sensors showing on the screen. With a USB socket in the car. Here's some photos / video of how it look in the car. 

44407953401_91753e01bf_k.jpgIMG_5053 by rob allen

43499966545_c45f61fd22_k.jpgIMG_5056 by rob allen

30539793858_d41ade5dde_k.jpgIMG_5055 by rob allen

Youtube link (Sorry - Can't work out how to insert into the post!)  

I hope this helps someone. It seemed to be more difficult challenge to get everything to work in a very odd spec'd car.  This wasn't an overly expensive headunit choice and did everything I needed it to do. It was a perfect option instead of buying the specific Kenwood unit, or a pioneer AVIC navigation from £600-£1100. In total, this has cost me £522.20.

Cheers all.

Edited by Rallen
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/09/2018 at 18:26, Rallen said:

Right, I've found the answer to my problem, and thought I'd post up what I've done and how.....

So, I purchased the following:

- Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB

• Apple Carplay 
  • Android auto ( i think)
  • Bluetooth
  • Handsfree calling
  • Spotify
  • Maps through phone (Or purchase the AVIC GPS module for the radio for £600 for navigation)
  • Halfords Pioneer SP-DA230DAB - £360 (If you have a friend who works in Halfords you can get it for £270)

- Connects2 CTUSK01 OR CTUVW01 

• Both the same lead. Both have the same functions.
  • This is an infoadaptor lead which plugs into the reversing camera input for the radio.
  • Also has steering wheel control inputs (requires patch lead)
  • Connects2 CTUVW01 Lead - £149.00

-Standard factory fit USB socket for a Mk6 Golf

• Used to attach to fly lead (below), into the back of the stereo, to replace the AUX socket in the jumbo box.
  • OEM / Factory finish (kind of - see notes with photos)
  • Ebay Link Here - £16.99 (very fast postage)

-  Factory Fit 4 pin to USB fly lead for VW / Skoda

• Attach into USB socket, then attach to back to headunit.
  • Keeps everything tidy and means you can plug Iphone leads in without hiding them behind dash's etc.
  • Ebay link here - £13.99

- Aerial adaptor - Double fakra with phantom lead and DAB aerial

- In car tech fascia

• Skoda Octavia / Yeti fascia - 50-713
  • Can't actually find a link to purchase as I got it from local car audio shop.
  • £30.

- Parking brake bypass 

• saves faffing with the handbrake lead.
  • Gives more functionaility in the headunit (such as updating firmware)
  • If the parking brake lead isn't attached, you can't update the unit.
  • Amazon Link - £12.50

Common questions / answers I found along my way:

- I had a very fancy lead ordered which didn't work for my radio. It was a CD-SVW-UAR.003Ae lead, which will only work with a Pioneer AVIC models with a UART connection the back of the headunit. Do not buy this lead unless you're buying a piooner AVIC. This lead should work and show all the A/C and parking sensors on the screen.

- The lead I do now have does not need to have steering wheel controls to function. This does work with any unit with a reverse camera input. The only function you can't get to is the menu choices to change the drivers side display on the headunit. (LHD / RHD). Other than that, the parking sensors work perfect, and the display for air con and climatronic works.

- You don't need to cut any wires. You need to join the parking sensor wire to between the infoadaptor lead and the pioneer patch lead.

I plugged everything in, split the remote lead into the 3 connections (DAB aerial amplifier, FM aerial amplifier, and Parking brake bypass), and placed DAB aerial on windscreen. The bypass is brilliant as you don't need to run any wires away from the headunit. Saves trying to get the parking brake lead down to the handbrake. Just makes sense.

The USB socket and fly lead hide right underneath the centre console. Pop out the gear gaiter, undo the two T20 screws to take out the bottom storage box. Go into the back seat and pop out the bottom store box, and then take the the air vents out with a plastic removal tool. Undo the 4 T20 screws (2 top in the middle, 2 bottom in the side) and pull the panel back towards the rear of the car. It clips top (centre) and bottom (sides). 

Open the top of the cubby box and lift carefully. Pop out the wire on the back of the AUX socket. Once the wire is off the centre console will lift a little further. Pop out the AUX socket and removal complete.

Feed the USB fly lead down from the radio, behind the heater controls, and down past the gear lever. Feed under the centre console and come through the AUX hole in the box. 

The USB socket is slightly smaller than the AUX socket that came out. I took up the difference with some electrical tape wrapped round it and pushed back into the hole. It does leave a little gap around the edge, but still found it tidier than a Iphone lead appearing from under some plastic somewhere / drilling a hole somewhere. 

I hid the info adaptor behind the heater control as there wasn't enough space behind the stereo. Just ran the leads down and behind, and the radio went in perfectly. 

So, in conclusion. I now have a pioneer radio, with carplay and bluetooth, with my climatronic stuff and parking sensors showing on the screen. With a USB socket in the car. Here's some photos / video of how it look in the car. 

44407953401_91753e01bf_k.jpgIMG_5053 by rob allen

43499966545_c45f61fd22_k.jpgIMG_5056 by rob allen

30539793858_d41ade5dde_k.jpgIMG_5055 by rob allen

Youtube link (Sorry - Can't work out how to insert into the post!)  

I hope this helps someone. It seemed to be more difficult challenge to get everything to work in a very odd spec'd car.  This wasn't an overly expensive headunit choice and did everything I needed it to do. It was a perfect option instead of buying the specific Kenwood unit, or a pioneer AVIC navigation from £600-£1100. In total, this has cost me £522.20.

Cheers all.

Been looking at getting one of these units myself, not to fussed about the heating controls be shown on the display, just looking at fitting the unit & possibly the usb socket.

• 8 months later...

Wow!

hi @Rallen, first post here but it’s great to see your detailed information. I have a 2013 Octavia mk3 and the bolero has horrible sound. Seems to adjust volume and tone automatically when bass kicks in. Sounds so harsh and tinny even with the treble turned down. Odd!

Everybody talks about the Amundsen or Columbus or MIB2 etc because of the OEM look and retaining climate visuals, maxidot and visual parking....

theyre so expensive though....and the main thing is that you still can’t get separate high/low pass filters or pre-outs for subwoofers with dedicated controls....I know people splice into the speaker wires etc.. but this is where I’ve been interested in the pioneer....good sound plus CarPlay

they seem to have a lot of units for the Octavia

i just wanted to clarify what I would LOSE by installing this pioneer unit in my car....

The bolero obviously is jam packed with menus about car, mpg, door locking, lights and so many controls....then there’s maxidot and the rear parking visual...

would I lose all that?

Do you know if other pioneer units would operate in the same way and with the same extra parts??

thanks

• 4 months later...

@Rallen

Project looks good mate, thanks for the detailed info too. 

Iam currently change my head unit out and was wondering if anyone had tried swapping the aux for usb! So thanks for that in particular. 

I have got the Connects2 facia for my unit but it doesn’t seem to fit quite as nice as yours is. Was there any reason you went for the facia you did and was this the one? 
https://incartec.co.uk/product/Skoda-Octavia-Yeti-audio-fascia

How you enjoying the head unit? 

thanks again. 

richie 

• 4 months later...

Just done an install of exactly the same head unit in my Yeti but for the life of me I cannot get the info dapter to work, any tips on the dip switches etc, steering wheel controls work fine but I cannot get the setup menu up?

Been trying so long just killed my battery so have a few hours whilst it charges!

• 4 months later...

Hi, i am doing exactly the same installation as this, but am having problems..... All is working apart from the climatic display and parking display.  I don't understand where to connect which cables.  I have the exact same cables as listed above. Any help would be much appreciated! Photos of where the cables are connected would be even better! Thank you!! 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up doing this mod myself and I’m really pleased with it. 

I didn’t need to hard wire the ignition as I used the Connect2 harness. 

Also I found a really nice USB solution that uses one of the blanks beneath the heating controls so it blends in nicely. 

Also I used a VW fascia as the previous head unit was out of a Golf. In my opinion it looks better as there is less black plastic to look at. 

On 08/06/2022 at 08:10, jaykyu said:

I’m looking at doing this too. Did you have you run a cable through to the fuse box for the switched ignition?

In case anyone is looking at this later on, I didn't have to do this. It is handled by the harness that converts the quad lock interface to the standard interface on the after market head unit.