Fabia vRS MK1 buying advice

cfm200

Hello there guys,

Recently I’ve been looking at purchasing a fabia vrs mk1. I’ve been looking at one with 111k on the clock but unfortunately it was sold today. However, there is another one I like but has 126k on it. It has full service history but would just like a couple of other opinions before I go ahead with the purchase. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? Here’s the advert on auto trader https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807188559368

Thank you for reading and taking the time to help me out, Cheers! 

It looks clean on them pictures it’s defintely worth going to have a look at. The seats look good as well as the bolsters are normally torn to shreds. I wouldnt decide that I was buying it though before seeing it in person. If you have already seen it and it’s mechanically sound then go for it if you like it.

If you’ve not already been to have a look at it make sure you have a test drive and a good look round it, make sure it boosts ok and listen for any suspect noises especially from the turbo. Check for any blue smoke coming out the back some black smoke is normal. Check the clutch feels ok as these are the sort of things that will start going with age if you’re lucky they may have already been done. Look through the history and make sure it’s had a timing belt change and if there are any other reciepts for any work carried out. These cars are getting on a bit now so make sure to look for the usual signs of wear and tear for a car of this age suspension knocks etc console bushes are known to be poor on Fabias, generally just make sure everything works as it should electric windows, rear wiper washer, heater etc

There are other things to check for too plenty of threads on here about them I can’t think of them all off the top of my head but I’m sure someone else will say anything I’ve missed. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Sy plenty of valuable info there that I can bring with me however I’ve spoke to the guy in the phone and apparently it’s got a straight pipe exhaust but he doesn’t know of any other mods that’s been done. I asked him has it been remapped and he said not that he’s aware of. I’m kind of thinking about looking elsewhere as I can’t see anyone putting a straight pipe on and not any other mods lol. 

Thanks again sy!

I understand where you’re coming from, personally I wouldn’t touch a car that had been modded by someone else if I didn’t know exactly what had been done and by who. It still could be worth having a look at, you don’t have to buy it but you can get a feel for what you’re looking for. I looked at a couple before I bought mine the first one i went to see was laughable, I’d tell you the story but it wouldn’t be appropriate for an Internet forum haha! 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DC2990 said:

From the reg it looks like the car is from scotland so i'd be taking a good look underneath and sills for rust because they put plenty of salt down on the roads.

Good shout mate 

2 minutes ago, SyVRS said:

I understand where you’re coming from, personally I wouldn’t touch a car that had been modded by someone else if I didn’t know exactly what had been done and by who. It still could be worth having a look at, you don’t have to buy it but you can get a feel for what you’re looking for. I looked at a couple before I bought mine the first one i went to see was laughable, I’d tell you the story but it wouldn’t be appropriate for an Internet forum haha! 

The thing is I’m in Ireland the cars in England so I wouldn’t be able to just look at it but no doubt form what you’ve said gives me a better hand at what to look for and about your story go on let’s hear it pm me it!!

I bought mine in England (travelling over from N.Ireland). Ask loads of questions and try and get a feel for the seller from their answers. I looked at 3 or 4 online and some of them were actually quite rough when I got a look at more detailed pics - seller described them as 'age related marks', where I would have described them as 2 or 3 hammer hits!!

The car I eventually got has been great so far (7000mls in 5 months)....but I still had a few issues with seller which I couldn't really complain about after travelling over and ready to drive car home. His website says if cars have less than 6 months MOT he will MOT for a year (mine had 4 months), his ad said 'Cambelt changed' (just neglected to mention it was 4+ years ago).

I am very happy with my VRS but could easily have been fooled in to buying a dog

VRS.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, king_o said:

I bought mine in England (travelling over from N.Ireland). Ask loads of questions and try and get a feel for the seller from their answers. I looked at 3 or 4 online and some of them were actually quite rough when I got a look at more detailed pics - seller described them as 'age related marks', where I would have described them as 2 or 3 hammer hits!!

The car I eventually got has been great so far (7000mls in 5 months)....but I still had a few issues with seller which I couldn't really complain about after travelling over and ready to drive car home. His website says if cars have less than 6 months MOT he will MOT for a year (mine had 4 months), his ad said 'Cambelt changed' (just neglected to mention it was 4+ years ago).

I am very happy with my VRS but could easily have been fooled in to buying a dog

VRS.jpg

I’m in Belfast atm where are you based? 

Yeah ah I’ll have to get a lot more info from them before heading over I just can’t seem to find the right one atm and it’s very frustrating lol 

5 minutes ago, king_o said:

I am near Lisburn

Nice! What’s your opinion on buying a 2003 fabia vrs was looming at 06/07 thinking the 03 was just to old lol am i a fool for thinking that 

7 minutes ago, cfm200 said:

Nice! What’s your opinion on buying a 2003 fabia vrs was looming at 06/07 thinking the 03 was just to old lol am i a fool for thinking that 

All depends on condition....

Reason I bought a VRS was because I had just bought a 2001 Fabia 1.9tdi with 123000mls on it (and rough bodywork). I had the 2001 for a year and did 17000mls without ever having a problem....and getting 55 - 60mpg. I was looking at a 2004 which seemed to be in good condition but I thought the dealer was asking too much for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Check the carpets in the back, the rear door seals go in these models, I have an 06 plate and mine went 4 years ago, it can be simply rectified with external sealant along the door rubber, it just means you can't open the rear windows. Don't let that put you off they have terrific engines and as long as you regularly service it the engine should easily do 250,000 or much more. I have had no major issues in 12 years have now remapped the car and am upgrading the brakes and suspension should be good for another 150,000 miles.

Don't be put off buying from Scotland, the west coast sees very little snow or ice (last year was an exception) the worst I experienced in my lifetime and I'm over 60, the east tends to get more of both. Happy hunting.

1 hour ago, Boatman1 said:

Check the carpets in the back, the rear door seals go in these models, I have an 06 plate and mine went 4 years ago, it can be simply rectified with external sealant along the door rubber, it just means you can't open the rear windows.

Don't know what you mean by that. It's not the door rubbers that leak but the ancillary carrier seals, and sealing them up has no effect whatsoever on the rear windows.

Edited by TMB

He means sealing along the outside of the bottom edge of the (previously lowerable) rear windows so that water can't get into the door, but thereby making the rear windows non-openable. Probably effective if you don't care about the rear windows being opened, to be fair.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/08/2018 at 21:25, TMB said:

Oh I see. What a bodge.

On a car that is now 12 years old, the bodge as you call it is still going strong and cost me exactly £6, and no one notices.