What tool do you use to remove wheel bolt covers?

P@ul

I think a proper tool to remove wheel bolt covers is missing in my car.

There is a spare wheel kit which includes:

tow eye,

wrench,

socket to remove security bolts,  

jack,

screwdriver

and a little pick-hook.

I tried to pull the bolt covers off using included hook, but ended up finding long nose pliers and using them instead. I think there should be a U shaped tool to remove these covers.

Do you people have it in your cars from the factory?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Yes the lower picture is the tool you want. It is in my tool kit, but you might only see the curved end sticking up.

Thanks AG Falco

• Thanks 1

I think that I bought an extra one to have in the garage along with a spare set of bolt covers for my car years ago, I've still not found where I put the spare set, maybe under the spare wheel which covers the battery, so I'll leave then looking for when I next load test that battery.

On 14/08/2018 at 21:11, P@ul said:

I think a proper tool to remove wheel bolt covers is missing in my car.

There is a spare wheel kit which includes:

tow eye,

wrench,

socket to remove security bolts,  

jack,

screwdriver

and a little pick-hook.

I tried to pull the bolt covers off using included hook, but ended up finding long nose pliers and using them instead. I think there should be a U shaped tool to remove these covers.

Do you people have it in your cars from the factory?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I had a similar plastic u shape for my old 55 plate Fabia estate but on the new Mk3 you seem to have to push the tool further in before the little lugs catch the back of the covers before you pull them off. The bent bit of metal is to remove a cover under the wheel arch when replacing the headlamp bulbs. If you value the skin on your hands and having to learn more !"£$*!! and !"£$£"!$ words than you thought you might ever need get a garage to do it for you, I did :) Joe

I used the black tool on my Mark 1 and mark 2 Fabia, because I added the alloys to my mark 3 I do not have to worry about removing bolt covers as I do not have any covers to remove.

On my last car a Astra I actually used a screw driver and inserted it into the groove and removed as there was no wheel cover removal tool.

Davy

I hope that the China sourced one is made of the correct grade of plastic, if not, one dark wet night you might just curse wasting 99 pence instead of spending almost £3.00 at any VW Group dealership, it does not need to be Skoda, just get one at your nearest VW Group place now that you know the part number.

Edit:-  I bought a "fog light upgrade kit" for my old 2000 Passat 4Motion from China - they fit that kit to some of their home grown version of Passat, while it was official VW Group (China) part numbers, the quality would make you puke, the plastic trims were, maybe strange type of material, the foglight assemblies which normally would be metal and glass were almost 100% glass with black paint where the metal would normally be - still got that kit, I should really bin it as it is not fit for anyone to use, a lesson learned! China not world class in all areas - yet!

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1