Steering wheel swap with kessy & disconnecting battery

Hi!

I have 05/2016 Superb Combi L&K TDI DSG for which I ordered a new flat bottom perforated leather sports steering wheel with DSG paddles (original did not have those).

Now I'm wondering if I start the steering wheel swap then do I need to disconnect the battery before? I've heard that models with kessy lock the steering wheel or something and therefore battery should be disconnected.
And if battery has been disconnected do I need to re-program something afterwards (meaning is it safe to disconnect battery in this model)?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, lkallas said:

Hi!

I have 05/2016 Superb Combi L&K TDI DSG for which I ordered a new flat bottom perforated leather sports steering wheel with DSG paddles (original did not have those).

Now I'm wondering if I start the steering wheel swap then do I need to disconnect the battery before? I've heard that models with kessy lock the steering wheel or something and therefore battery should be disconnected.
And if battery has been disconnected do I need to re-program something afterwards (meaning is it safe to disconnect battery in this model)?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Dunno about if anything needs to be done after battery removal but it is strongly recommended to disconnect battery before you go near any plugs that are even remotely connected to airbags. 

• Like 1

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I also checked the user's manual and there's the following:

After disconnecting and re-connecting the vehicle battery, the following functions
or devices are partially or completely inoperative.

• Power windows
  • Panorama sliding/tilting roof
  • Sun screen
  • Time setting

I changed to the same type of wheel on mine when I first got the car, hated the standard wheel.

Easy job but do disconnect the battery first or chances are the air bag will go off when you disturb it!

When I restarted the car all sorts of error codes came up but after a short drive and another restrart everything settled down and was fine.

Hardest part is removing the air bag, there are a couple of awkward clips, there are some online videos that show you how to do it. (Octavia etc are the same)

Any chance you guys could share the steering wheel you replaced? I'm pretty happy with mine tbh, but maybe in future when it gets used up I could be thinking to replace. However, mine is heated, so might have little trouble with that. I have to say though, out of steering wheels on other brands, I love the heated one. Feels very very good and it gives extra grip. 

1 minute ago, Adrian55555 said:

Yes thats the one, but i believe u can order direct from skoda dealer too.  

My dealer has awesome prices. When I wanted to replace my damaged (well very scratched) dashboard they said I can only get full dashboard, cost 800-1000€. Lovely... I'm sure steering wheel would be 450€+ specially heated one.

P.S.: Sorry not dashboard, instrument cluster.

Edited by JackySi

I replaced my steering wheel for one with paddles. I never disconnected the battery because the wiring clip for the airbag has a safety switch on it. When you pull the white bit out it shorts the connections so nothing can trigger the airbag, even random static if you put it down on the carpet.

My mistake was that I turned the engine on with the airbag disconnected to put the steering wheel straight before I removed it. I had an airbag error for a couple of months and then bought Carista which allowed me to reset it.

I swapped the steering wheel for one with paddles without disconnetcting the battery too. No issues.

Do not turn on the ignition with the airbag disconnected; errors will needs to be cleared with a tester (VCDS or similar).