181ce

2 minutes ago, Ttaskmaster said:

What, you just set that and go to bed for 8 hours, fully expecting to still be afloat, upright and going in the right direction come morning?

Yep out in the middle of a ocean and single handed yes.

Just don't think along the lines of I just drilled a 5mm hole in 10sq metres of wall and hit the only 10mm water pipe in there.............

9 minutes ago, 181ce said:

Yep out in the middle of a ocean and single handed yes.

Just don't think along the lines of I just drilled a 5mm hole in 10sq metres of wall and hit the only 10mm water pipe in there.............

What happens if the weather changes (or the forecast wasn't the most accurate), and you end up in large waves, or something?

Just now, Ttaskmaster said:

What happens if the weather changes (or the forecast wasn't the most accurate), and you end up in large waves, or something?

I think that wouldn't be long waking you up , certainly when you find yourself on the cabin floor rather than your nice cosy bunk,had you the luxury of radar that will scream at you as well should you encounter other traffic,probably don't work for whales or containers though.

21 hours ago, 181ce said:

I think that wouldn't be long waking you up , certainly when you find yourself on the cabin floor rather than your nice cosy bunk,had you the luxury of radar that will scream at you as well should you encounter other traffic,probably don't work for whales or containers though.

Hmmm.....

Well, that'll all have to wait until I get my various Yachtmasters and things, anyway. Hopefully by then there'll be a Sargo or a similar style of boat, that is big enough to accommodate my rather unusual tastes and requirements...!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 21:36, VWD said:

Cal Mac used to run an ex minesweeper ( Loch Arkaig) on the inner Hebrides run some 30/40 years ago. Problem was that they'd added to the superstructure and in a breeze of wind it helled over like an old sailing ship .

Tt- it might be cheaper to look at some of the redundant fishing boats.

I've had the pleasure of being on that one frequently in my younger days, very interesting sitting along one the benches in the saloon area and seeing nothing but sea through the side windows followed by the sky!  We used to reckon that when the engine room folk came upstairs to join us, it was getting bad and they were just wanting to be a bit closer to getting off if it went over! I think that she was classed as a Nova Scotia Schooner in hull design, someone let her settle down on something nasty while tied up at Mallaig I think, so that was that.

Cal Mac had worse, the Loch Buie an ex naval range boat maybe, got the name of "yellow submarine" due to its creamy/fawn/yellowish superstructure and the fact that it went through the waves not over them, horrid nasty dangerous thing especially in winter!

Edited by rum4mo

• 2 months later...

Well I've only go e and done it,brought home another orphan,just like the one pulling it ,no engine rotten floors, tired upholstery.

BUT it was 1250 euros boat trailer,and has very good bones.

I'm just a glutton for punishment this is going to be restored #3

IMG_20190101_135409.jpg

• Haha 1

Looks like that could be a good little runabout - Is that a cuddy cabin I spy, too?

Will you just be day-cruising in this, or will you throw a cover over the cockpit and overnight somewhere?

On 05/01/2019 at 16:52, Auric Goldfinger said:

I'd like something like this. :nod:   but It costs £400 Million.   :sadsmile:

Meh... My fantasy boats kinda stop long before they get this big.

The main problem with these massive things is that they're supposed to be shown-off... but you have to park them so far outside the marina, nobody really gets to see them up close. It's like taking your Lambo to the Oscars, but having to use the Park & Ride instead of pulling up at the red carpet!

• 7 months later...
On 03/01/2019 at 21:42, 181ce said:

I'm just a glutton for punishment this is going to be restored #3

How's the restoration going? You managed to get out on the water in this good weather?

21 hours ago, 181ce said:

Nah mate,work continues very slowly

Due to lack of time n reasources ....

I know the feeling...

I was looking at Gulf Craft's new Nomad SUV series - A little quirkier than most, but much better decor and notably cheaper. They even have solar power. If ever I win big on the lottery, I'll be interested.

So far, I've managed to get the wife interested in having a boat and going away on it, but with our current finances we'd be lucky if it's big enough to have a cover over top and an engine!

• 1 month later...