1.8 TSi return to dealer

That is what the VW Group did, fitted wrong plugs, then changed the OEM, then changed engines and still one spark plug / cylinder overheated then the plug fouled and melts. 

So hardly a Owners Fault is it.  Then the Software Updates, and more updates, then Oil Spray Jet updates.

Only issue, they never admit to their Engineers errors, consumables and procurement. 

Nice that the Class Actions in Australia have won compensation / new engines. 

See pinned 1.8 & 2.0 TSI engine failure thread at top of the Octavia Mk2 page. 

Posted Yesterday.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/?page=64 

While VW Group Designed, & Manufactures sh!te Euro 5 1.8 TSI & 2.0 TSI they did the same with some 1.2 & 1.4 TSI's.

'Never admit anything. Vorsprung Durch Technik.  Never listen to those that do research! The VW Way!'

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/421365-links-to-lucifers-ultimate-guide-to-14-tsi--twincharger-engines 

Edited by Offski

19 hours ago, safari hunter said:

I know the statement with 500 ml / 1000 km, but when my engine reached  1 litre per 1000 km  my spark plugs ( brand new Irridium Denso) melted. So I don't  belive that the engine reached 2300 ml / 1000 km.

Do you think that Skoda would give him any paper with wrong statement? Be glad you fixed your engine soon enough with consumption of 1l/1000km.

Not only on this forum are many others, who must top up more frequently ...

This one is one of the worst case I have ever seen, though not precise measurement was done ...

Here Audi protocol with 1,95l/1000km ...

6 hours ago, rayx said:

This one is one of the worst case I have ever seen, though not precise measurement was done ...

Only a poor compression ratio might justify this outrageous oil consumption with no damaging effects on sparkplugs. My compression test was ranging between 10,6 - 11.00 however is pretty complicated to assume engine condition at this stage. I wonder how the car was not smoking any oil when purchasing???

Edited by safari hunter

No real smoke from the exhaust, no issues with performance.

Dealer is refusing to refund my money, he offered a replacement/reconditioned engine or buy it back at trade!

I am just about to send him a final notice before I take him to court and contact trading standards and trade bodies. I did drop in that my future son in law works on Watchdog!

Progress Skoda oil consumption.pdf

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@Herts72 I wish you well in your battle. Do give us an update if/when you can!

I'm in an almost identical situation, but further up the chain. Tomorrow I will be contacting the seller of my 11-reg 1.8TSI Superb (independent garage/dealer) for a refund within 30-days under the Consumer Rights Act due to excessive oil consumption.

The more I read up on these forums about this issue, the more I'm fuming at VAG. How they can get away with not recalling these engines is an absolute scandal!

I too bought an 11reg 1.8tsi skoda superb in June with 81k on the clock. Beautiful car, drove fantastic. Over a short space of time I realised it was drinking oil at a huge rate. I documented every time I topped it up and recorded the mileage. I used nearly 4 litres of oil in 2000 mile. 

I returned to the used car dealer I bought it from (Tynemouth Motor company) and showed him all the times I had topped up etc, and this forum about the 1.8tsi having faulty piston rings. He couldn't have been any better at dealing with me. I had took out an extended warranty and he sent my car away to Rosamund Rebores in Blyth, Northumberland to get the block rebored and new pistons and rings fitted, at no cost to me. I've had the car back about 2 weeks now and done 340 miles and the car hasn't used a single drop of oil. I consider myself incredibly lucky. If I'd seen this forum before I bought the car, I would never have bought it. The fault lies squarely with VAG. To wash their hands of this problem is a disgrace. 

I absolutely love the skoda superb, but when it's time to change it I won't have another VAG car. I'll be buying Japanese. 

It's a shame because previous to the superb I had a petrol octavia with 176k on it, and my friend bought it and uses it every day. 

I felt sick when I found out about the 1.8tsi. 

Hopefully people read this forum before parting with their cash. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2018 at 10:43, Mdk1970 said:

fitting the new pistons .

Can you mention pistons manufacturing code?

Engine looks pretty much OK and I hope after repair to be restored almost to its initial condition for your satisfaction.

On 01/12/2018 at 08:36, Mdk1970 said:

I too bought an 11reg 1.8tsi skoda superb in June with 81k on the clock. Beautiful car, drove fantastic. Over a short space of time I realised it was drinking oil at a huge rate. I documented every time I topped it up and recorded the mileage. I used nearly 4 litres of oil in 2000 mile. 

I returned to the used car dealer I bought it from (Tynemouth Motor company) and showed him all the times I had topped up etc, and this forum about the 1.8tsi having faulty piston rings. He couldn't have been any better at dealing with me. I had took out an extended warranty and he sent my car away to Rosamund Rebores in Blyth, Northumberland to get the block rebored and new pistons and rings fitted, at no cost to me. I've had the car back about 2 weeks now and done 340 miles and the car hasn't used a single drop of oil. I consider myself incredibly lucky. If I'd seen this forum before I bought the car, I would never have bought it. The fault lies squarely with VAG. To wash their hands of this problem is a disgrace. 

I absolutely love the skoda superb, but when it's time to change it I won't have another VAG car. I'll be buying Japanese. 

It's a shame because previous to the superb I had a petrol octavia with 176k on it, and my friend bought it and uses it every day. 

I felt sick when I found out about the 1.8tsi. 

Hopefully people read this forum before parting with their cash. 

Thumbs up to Tynemouth Motor Company then :thumbup:. A breath of fresh air.

https://www.tynemouthmotorcompany.co.uk/

• Like 2

Sorry chaps, things have been pretty mad this end!!

So to cut a long story short I got my money back all but £300 of the purchase price on the 15th November!!!

I am sure if I had toughed it out I could have got it all back but couldn't afford to keep running the Audi any longer.

So overall it probably cost me about £1000-£1200 in total losses inc skoda test, insurance changes ect ect.

I ended up getting a Mazda 6 Sport Nav Estate late 2015, which so far I have been very pleased with!

I wish everyone else luck with there issues.

Paul

• Like 2