1.8 TSi return to dealer

I just purchased a 2011 Superb estate 1.8 from an independent dealer. Took the RAC Warranty out as well.

The oil light came on after a few days so I topped it up to max.

Checked after 600miles and it was below minimum, so topped it up again!

Did another couple of hundred miles and down to Minimum.  :notme: Went to an RAC approved garage and they told me there was a 90% chance that it wouldn't be covered by the warranty when they had spoken to the RAC. And I would have to pay for it to be strippted down and inspected by the RAC before they would decide.

Contacted the dealer and said I wanted to return it for a refund under the Consumer Credit Act as I was within the 30 days and it was not of sufficient quality.

They have replied today stating if I get get Skoda to do a consumption test and it is the engine Skoda will repair it free of charge.

Having spoken to my nearest dealer they said this is not the case and I would have to pay £200ish for the consumption test and if it is the engine I would have to pay!

Has anyone else tried to get their pistons replaced through a main dealer?

I know it is a known issue but my car is 7 years old. I think if it under 6 years you may have a case!

Any advice welcome :sadsmile:

Paul

4 minutes ago, Herts72 said:

The oil light came on after a few days so I topped it up to max.

Checked after 600miles and it was below minimum, so topped it up again!

Did another couple of hundred miles and down to Minimum.

Did you check below the hood where that oil is coming out (leaks on the location where the car is left for several hours)? If it would be directly mixed in the air intake due to gasket/insulation issues, you'd have to see quite a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust every day ... engine oil can't just evaporate as easily and quickly as you describe in any easily explainable way without a mechanical malfunction/damage/failure somewhere ...

• Like 1

An Official Oil Consumption test is not £200. 

Removing the oil, new oil and filter, drive the 186 mile / 300km,

or really it should be 1,000 miles without putting a low oil, low oil pressure light on, or if it can do 1,000 km / 621 miles without drinking .5 litre oil, 

or times 2, so 1,242 without drinking a litre.   

Then drain the oil which you weighed before the test and compare the oil use.   A test not fit for purpose.  

Known fault,

known by VW / Skoda, but Skoda are not fitting a new engine.   Reject the car.   The Dealership can get their new engine from Skoda.  Doubt it though.

It is 2 Minor Oil / Filter Services just without the Servicing just changing the oil and filter, taping up the oil cap and dip stick.,

then after draining reuse the oil that was only in for 180 miles 

plus what was used because the test is done on an Excessive Oil user.

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

Edited by Offski
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Offski said:

An Official Oil Consumption test is not £200. 

Removing the oil, new oil and filter, drive the 186 mile / 300km,

or really it should be 1,000 miles without putting a low oil, low oil pressure light on, or if it can do 1,000 km / 621 miles without drinking .5 litre oil, 

or times 2, so 1,242 without drinking a litre.   

Then drain the oil which you weighed before the test and compare the oil use.   A test not fit for purpose.  

Known fault,

known by VW / Skoda, but Skoda are not fitting a new engine.   Reject the car.   The Dealership can get their new engine from Skoda.  Doubt it though.

It is 2 Minor Oil / Filter Services just without the Servicing just changing the oil and filter, taping up the oil cap and dip stick.,

then after draining reuse the oil that was only in for 180 miles 

plus what was used because the test is done on an Excessive Oil user.

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

My local main dealer quotes me £198

They can quote what they like for there labour, and materials and VAT, but they are taking the Pith.

The test is not fit for purpose and never has been.   That one linked has a major error, a litre of engine oil is not 1,000 grams.

here is how it used to be done.

post-86161-0-54740300-1365682049.jpg

post-86161-0-49942900-1365682152.jpg

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, as I thought.

I have asked again for a refund.

I will just take it back Saturday and demand a refund, if i don't get it I will go to the small claims court straight away.

It is a Skoda Superb 1.8 TFSI Elegance estate in Maroon reg AX11HCD bought from Kiteley motors in Stanstead.

10 hours ago, silver1011 said:

If the independent garage is so confident of Skoda doing a consumption test and replacing the engine for free then tell them to do it, and ask them why they didn't do it before they sold you the car. We know, they know and you know, Skoda UK are going to say no. To rub salt into the wound they'll no doubt tell you that they're unaware of any issues with the 1.8 TSI engine too.

I think we all know what's happened here. The previous owner noticed the excessive oil consumption, did their research and offloaded the car as quickly as possible. It's ended up at the dealer you bought it from, and they're trying to palm it off on some unsuspecting bugger i.e. you.

Take the car back for a refund first thing tomorrow morning.

When you have your money back be sure to post the registration number and the selling garage on here as a warning to others.

Absolutely, they previous owner had the mecatronic unit, clutch and water pump replaced under warranty. They probably would cover the oil loss so moved it on.

Thanks for the replies chaps, as I suspected.

I have sent them another email saying I want a refund again, I will just return it Saturday and if they don't refund me I will go straight to the small claims court.

It is a Skoda Superb 1.8TFSI Elegance estate AX11HCD in Maroon, from Kiteley motors in Stanstead. It has done 74,000.

Return it straightaway, do not wait, yes get your refund, it is your right under law. The longer you wait, the more leverage the dealer has.

There is no way at all that Skoda will entertain any claim under warranty or goodwill on 7 year old car. It is out of time for the 6 year EU merchantable quality rule too. Dealer knows the car is stuffed and basically a scrapper.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xman said:

Return it straightaway, do not wait, yes get your refund, it is your right under law. The longer you wait, the more leverage the dealer has.

There is no way at all that Skoda will entertain any claim under warranty or goodwill on 7 year old car. It is out of time for the 6 year EU merchantable quality rule too. Dealer knows the car is stuffed and basically a scrapper.

He said he would talk to Skoda as it was normally done for free!!!

I said I don't care I am returning it Saturday for a refund.

They can look at the car all they want, in their own time, after they've refunded you.

Put your rejection in writing...

[Your address]

[Manager/ owner]

[Dealership address]

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Ref: [registration number of vehicle]

On [date] I purchased, and took delivery of, the above vehicle [make and model] from you. On [date] I discovered that it was not of satisfactory quality: [describe the problem].

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires dealers to supply goods of satisfactory quality. However, the vehicle is clearly unroadworthy. You are therefore in breach of contract.

I am legally entitled to reject the vehicle and to be reimbursed for its full purchase price of [£xx]. I look forward to receiving your cheque for this sum within 14 days. 

If you fail to reimburse me, I shall have no alternative but to issue a claim against you in the county court for recovery of the money without further reference to you.

Yours faithfully,

[Your name and signature]

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Herts72 said:

They now want to look at the car before doing a refund. I am worried they will **** about until after the 30 days or just bodge it somehow!

I am tempted to get Skoda to do the test and just dump it with them.

Skoda wont look at it. Unless they are paid to do the test. And as u mention this can/will go past the 30 day. Its not worth the mess about. Refund and walk away! 

For skoda to even entertain goodwill, they car needs to be generally speaking less than 5yrs old and below 100k and have a full service history done within the skoda main dealer  network as a rule. It was very very rare that a car would get goodwill outside of this. (i know as i used to for for the brand gained goodwill authority from the brand as well as process warranty/goodwill claims) 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

They can look at the car all they want, in their own time, after they've refunded you.

Put your rejection in writing...

[Your address]

[Manager/ owner]

[Dealership address]

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Ref: [registration number of vehicle]

On [date] I purchased, and took delivery of, the above vehicle [make and model] from you. On [date] I discovered that it was not of satisfactory quality: [describe the problem].

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires dealers to supply goods of satisfactory quality. However, the vehicle is clearly unroadworthy. You are therefore in breach of contract.

I am legally entitled to reject the vehicle and to be reimbursed for its full purchase price of [£xx]. I look forward to receiving your cheque for this sum within 14 days. 

If you fail to reimburse me, I shall have no alternative but to issue a claim against you in the county court for recovery of the money without further reference to you.

Yours faithfully,

[Your name and signature]

I would not include "clearly unroadworthy" in the letter as it probably is not unroadworthy, just not of satisfactory quality.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Either or.

A car on the verge of seizing due to oil starvation doesn't make it roadworthy in my eyes.

I would tend to agree with you but I wouldn't put anything in a letter like that that could be misinterpreted.

• Like 1

I sent the letter via email this morning, I replaced unroadworthy with unsatisfactory quality.

I told them i would return it tomorrow as the 30 days runs out on the 28th.

Lets see where w go from here!

Thanks once again for all the support and comments, absolutely gutted as the car is perfect for what I need. I even updated the maps! lol

• Like 1

I think it should be "on paper" and with some kind of receiving confirmation... I think you should either post as SignedFor or hand it over in person. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Herts72 said:

I sent the letter via email this morning, I replaced unroadworthy with unsatisfactory quality.

I told them i would return it tomorrow as the 30 days runs out on the 28th.

Lets see where w go from here!

Thanks once again for all the support and comments, absolutely gutted as the car is perfect for what I need. I even updated the maps! lol

When you take the car in take a printed copy of the letter - sign and date it

• Like 2

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 08:51, Herts72 said:

. I even updated the maps!

Don't tell them that. to reject goods they have to be in the condition you received them.

If you think this doesn't matter I refer you to' ford uk' who wouldn't allow a customer to reject a three week old car with a seized engine because the customer had authorised a repair on it already.

that repair was for the dealer to change a blown bulb.

• Like 1