Warranty repair and courtesy car

I posted the other day about lights coming on: EPC and the engine management light. 

I had Skoda roadside assistance out and the guy was great but could not fix it. He found a number of faults. He rang the dealer and booked me in telling them he wanted a courtesy car sorted for me. They started saying it would take weeks and he cut them short saying he can get a hire car in under 4 hours under something called the "mubic" scheme (not sure of spelling) and so could they.

According to him they have contractual obligation to provide a car, with no wait if they don't have one going spare. 

Anyone know know about this?

The car was bought as an approved, used Skoda and is under warranty.

Cheers

You do get a replacement hire car if yours can't be fixed and your car was towed to a dealer by Skoda Assist. I think the duration they told me was 5 days with the approved warranty and after that the dealer would need to pay for the car to keep you in it if it's taking longer to fix yours.

I had a terrible experience with it though last year. Car towed to dealers Saturday morning, couldn't be looked at until Monday. Skoda Assist said they'd sort a car for me asap. Could only get a Toyota Aygo the same day. Useless suggestion as too small with children and we were going away to Center Parcs for the week on the Monday! Imagine trying to pack a week's worth of stuff for a family, pushchair etc. plus take family in an Aygo :D There's a reason I have an Octavia and not an Aygo sized car in the first place...

They then basically said anything else bigger would have to wait until Monday when the leasing company opened again. Wouldn't let me take the Aygo until something bigger became available. Ended up being carless for the remainder of the weekend until Monday afternoon when they drove up a poverty spec Audi A3 to me. It was awful, can't see why people fall over themselves for such a car to impress the neighbours, but it did the job to take us and our stuff away. Overall, not quite the smooth, seamless process it should have been.

Hope you have better luck than I did! :)

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

While the Rapid is in for accident damage , the [paid for] hire car is a Renault Captur ...lets just say I would NOT buy one !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nozzmaster said:

I posted the other day about lights coming on: EPC and the engine management light. 

I had Skoda roadside assistance out and the guy was great but could not fix it. He found a number of faults. He rang the dealer and booked me in telling them he wanted a courtesy car sorted for me. They started saying it would take weeks and he cut them short saying he can get a hire car in under 4 hours under something called the "mubic" scheme (not sure of spelling) and so could they.

According to him they have contractual obligation to provide a car, with no wait if they don't have one going spare. 

Cheers

If the car is recovered to the dealership by recovery then the recovery agent should be able to provide a car immediately. I thought it was for max of 2 days but I could be wrong. From then it's up to the provider of the warranty to organise a replacement vehicle. If the garage can't provide a courtesy car then the manufacturer/warranty provides a rental car.

Long story but 1st time my previous Honda broke down (recovery made temp fix - enough so I could drive it to local dealership) I arrived late Friday pm, the garage didn't have a car and Honda Euro customer services that deals with such matters were closed for weekend. Recovery agent couldn't organise car as they hadn't recovered it to garage. I simply hired a like-4-like replacement from Enterprise (as used by Honda warranty), kicked up a fuss on Monday morning about lack of support, Honda changed the hire over to their account and I had that car for a few weeks.

Second time the car broke down (on a weekend again) I made sure the recovery agent accompanied me to dealership. Recovery organised car this time and again Honda took over the hire next working day. Had that car for 4 weeks this time.

Third time it broke down (Honda reliability eh?) the garage contacted Honda Euro central and they organised a hire car. I was on first name terms with the girl from Enterprise. 

That's generally what happens with original 2yr warranty - not sure if applicable to yr3 ( it's usually the garage rather than maufacturer who provides yr3 warranty in UK). Don't know if it's applicable to extended warranties either.

Having had a Renault Megane as a company cars for a few years I get a cold chill everytime I walk past one :evilgrin:

Many a headlight bulb I had to change in that car but my favorite was the driverside door not unlocking and having to climb in through the passenger side.

Edited by ScoutCJB

Read the Terms & Conditions in the Warranty Booklet you received from the people that sold you the car and the warranty. 

That was a financial deal and the warranty a financial product.  An Insurance Policy.

If you do not have that T&C Booklet / Policy have them provide it to you.   And they can do that when getting your Courtesy car to you.

I got the car in. Bit of a delay but I have a courtesy hire car.

The code came up with a problem with the Charge Pressure Actuator, amongst other error codes (6 in total). They think it'll require a new turbo by the sound of it. That's a bit rum on a 4 year old car with 35k on the clock isn't it?

I asked about the other code warnings and they said the one problem may cause other code errors. I pointed that it seems unlikely a turbo would cause codes relating to the passenger window. They said they'd look I to it and the car wouldn't have any errors when I got it back.

Apparently they have to ensure the work is covered by the "warranty company" which I thought a bit odd. I'd assumed, as an approved Skoda, that it would.be warrantied by Skoda?

Edited by Nozzmaster
  • Like 1

Warranty with a Warranty Company / Underwritter,  owned by the VW Group so Skoda as well, but at arms length, so they can go through whatever kidology required and get the Warranty Managers approval, and all that jazz, but when it comes to the crunch it is known issues, known why, VW Group parts failing, 

so be sure always to have it all covered in writing, and speak with Technicians not just receptionists, secretaries and communications manager that do not know a fault code on the Coffee Machine from a Fault Code on a Diagnostic Print out.

On 27/08/2018 at 14:34, Nozzmaster said:

Cheers

Would that be Mobex maybe? That seems to be what the hire cars provided to people by Skoda when waiting for overdue new cars are called.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:34, Nozzmaster said:

Cheers

Clutch went at 11,500 miles on my Superb 2.0Tdi 140PS manual and wife was near Nottingham at the time. Car was only a year old and AA Patrol towed it to Leicester Skoda dealer who found it parked up the next morning.We were lucky the cleaners were onsite because it was almost 8pm before the AA guy arrived. I was waiting to take the wife home at the dealers. Next morning phoned the dealer to explain the situation and demanded a courtesy car while they carried out the FOC repair. We got a basic VW jetta hire car delivered that day and kept it for 4 days, collecting the Superb on a Saturday morning and dropping off the hire car at the Skoda Dealer. Everyone was great no hassle and that's why we still use the same dealer and keep buying cars from them.:biggrin:

Well it's supposedly all going ahead. New turbo to be fitted under warranty. Is this is a common fault. Seems a bit early to be needing one. I wonder if it was thrashed before I got it.

The hire car is a new Octavia estate with half-leather, better entertainment system etc. Nicer than my car.

On 04/09/2018 at 11:10, juan27 said:

Would that be Mobex maybe? That seems to be what the hire cars provided to people by Skoda when waiting for overdue new cars are called.

I think it must be. I only heard it spoken but sounds about right.

On 28/08/2018 at 15:05, ScoutCJB said:

Having had a Renault Megane as a company cars for a few years I get a cold chill everytime I walk past one :evilgrin:

Many a headlight bulb I had to change in that car but my favorite was the driverside door not unlocking and having to climb in through the passenger side.

Hi Scout, once you were in the car, were you able to exit through the drivers door? - if not,  your company was almost certainly in breach of H&S legislation, and endangering your life by not getting it fixed immediately.  

1 hour ago, Noz said:

Well it's supposedly all going ahead. New turbo to be fitted under warranty. Is this is a common fault. Seems a bit early to be needing one. I wonder if it was thrashed before I got it.

The hire car is a new Octavia estate with half-leather, better entertainment system etc. Nicer than my car.

Good to hear it's being sorted under warranty.:biggrin:

6 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Scout, once you were in the car, were you able to exit through the drivers door? - if not,  your company was almost certainly in breach of H&S legislation, and endangering your life by not getting it fixed immediately.  

Yes it did open from the inside ... if it hadn't then I wouldn't have driven it.

Yes Mobex.

Had it a couple of times now, both times sorted by Skoda Assist, once without argument and once when the dealer refused point blank to provide a car.

That time was during heavy snow early this year and I reasoned that as I pay for a Scout I needed a 4x4, as well as needing it for work.

I was provided with a Tiguan Sel  within 3 hours via Thrifty