Putting fuel additive into a 61-plate diesel Skoda Yeti

MuddyLanes

I want to put a bit of BG244 into my Yeti 170 DPF 4x4. It comes in a "lager" tin so I'm going to need a funnel, but I'm wondering whether or not I'll need a very long-stemmed funnel to open some sort of "trapdoor" in the filler neck??? I tried poking a metal rod down the filler but it wasn't clear to me whether or not I was pushing anything open. I guess I'll be doing this in a petrol station so I don't want BG244 sloshing all over the place!

1 hour ago, MuddyLanes said:

Good ideas guys, thanks. If I get a diesel-can it means I can experiment in the comfort of my own home, so to speak, and see whether or not there is a "trapdoor" down there.

I'm almost certain there will do no 'trapdoor'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Llanigraham said:

No, but there is an anti-syphon device.
I fail to understand why you can't just pour whatever this "stuff" is straight down the filler neck. Pehaps you would like to explain?

In case there's a "trapdoor" and it all comes spilling back out ...

Would you please explain what this "stuff" is?

If it is a liquid then you can pour it straight into the filler neck. As has been said there is NO trapdoor anywhere in the pipe, just an anti-syphon device well down the tube, and this does not and will not stop any liquid being poured down.

2 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Would you please explain what this "stuff" is?

If it is a liquid then you can pour it straight into the filler neck. As has been said there is NO trapdoor anywhere in the pipe, just an anti-syphon device well down the tube, and this does not and will not stop any liquid being poured down.

The "stuff" is a diesel fuel system cleaner, something I saw recommended on this forum.

When people respond to this topic I get an email telling me they've done so. In the email is a link to click on to get to their response. When I click on this I get  -

"We could not locate the item you are trying to view. Error code: 2S136/C"

Anybody else get this? Known problem?

Be careful, there is definitely a flap in some fuel filler pipes, mine is a 2013 L&K 170 and it has a flap that pushes open when you insert the filler nozzle. I use Millers additive and this has a neck long enough to push it open. If I added anything without the flap opened it comes over the filler hole and, "Yes" I've tried it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MuddyLanes said:

Ah. Thanks for the warning. Maybe I will get a fuel can and do a little experimenting at home then, better safe than sorry and all that.

The fuel can with a nozzle is the best advice, mix some diesel with the additive and pour it in after you've fuelled up. Used to do that with my Octavia.

You can pour it strain in the filler without a problem, however if you can mix it with a little diesel in a jerry can first then do so. It won’t help mix it any better but lessens the chance of spilling some down the car. The stuff stinks and seems to linger on your hands so the less mess the better. 

14 minutes ago, CWARD said:

You can pour it strain in the filler without a problem, however if you can mix it with a little diesel in a jerry can first then do so. It won’t help mix it any better but lessens the chance of spilling some down the car. The stuff stinks and seems to linger on your hands so the less mess the better. 

I'll definitely do it at home them! Don't want to be faffing around with an audience at a petrol station :)

77% of the 173 ratings on Amazon are either 5, or 4 stars - just saying:thinking:

On a personal level I've been known to chuck the occasional bottle of Redex into my diesel Yeti, especially when it's on offer at £2 / bottle - no idea if it works though.

I can however definitely confirm there is a flap part-way down the filler neck, which must be open in order to get the the stuff in. The long neck of the Redex bottle is just long enough to push the little door open and ensure it all gets into the tank.

I do track all my fuel returns and the only thing that demonstrably affected my MPG (over 75K miles) is the EA189 update. Nothing else, be it "super-fuel" (Shell V-Power etc), super market fuel, or any of the Miller's additives (Eco Max etc) made any appreciable difference.

I always considered any benefits to relate to the cleaning properties of such premium fuels (detergents), or additives and hope this in some way contributes to not suffering any long-term issues relating to blocked / fouled injectors etc.

Of note I also found increasing mileage has yet to result in any improved MPG (be it petrol, or diesel, both run from new). The oft stated "they get better with a few miles" has yet to be proven to me.

2 hours ago, MuddyLanes said:

I've certainly read conflicting opinions on it, but the car isn't as smooth as it used to be so I thought I'd try some and see if it turns out be a quick fix. Or not.

Ignore the nay sayers. I first used BG244k when my Mondeo scrapped through  a smoke test with a reading of 2.97 just below the 3.0 fail level. The following year it was down less than 1 and after that between 0.14 and 0.16 up until I sold it. It was just given an annual dose of BG244K and in later years I switched to Archoil 6400d as I could buy it in 5ltr cans which made it cheaper. 

I’ve join st given the first dose to a smokey Mitsubishi Shogun and the difference has been immediate, much more responsive and less smoke with only 40 odd miles out of the tank so far. 

Some find they get better economy after the first Oil / Filter service and the Factory Fill has been drained.

With the latest VW Group engines arriving with VW508 / 509 so 0w 20 FS LL some might find that they give the better fuel consumption if that is what you stick with.

How the longevity of engines proves over the next decade is maybe the question that will be answered eventually.

"I do track all my fuel returns and the only thing that demonstrably affected my MPG (over 75K miles) is the EA189 update."

For better or worse?

If I get chance, I'll get the stuff into the tank tomorrow and take the car for a long run and see what's what.

If it's any help, for the first time ever, I bought a Millers additive (  MILLERS Oils Petrol Power ECOMAX Fuel Treatment Additive 500ml  )  having read that quite a few reckon they experience a tangible difference.  It cost £12.99 from Halfords (the cheapest I could see and it's local). 

It comes with a long enough neck to fit down the filler and it was painless enough to do on the forecourt prior to filling up. It might work, it might not... but I was prepared to gamble £12.99 and if it does nothing it won't keep me awake at night.

image.png.cac4471c56e1914ef27e2d879feff12b.png

Edited by oldstan
wrong photo
  • Like 1

i use archoil AR 6400 D annual dose..for this i have a little funnel and pour gently

then

AR 6900 D in the tank on each fill 1:100...i get usually 40 litres on top up so i use 40 ml

it comes with a insertion tube which has to be removed after charging up and then stored beside the bottle which has its own air tight cap

the instructions point out to hold the tube when charging up in case it goes into the tank

so far i have noticed clean burning, better mpg..i make my target on a day out around 60-63..going up the road 8 miles to the supermarket 55 usually...i dont drive fast though even though its dual carriageway...60 is fine and not really accelerating to much..i use the turbo for a gear drop and a fast pass...cruising is so much more comfortable for myself and my wife..

cheers

geof

6900-d_max_500ml_front_1.jpg

Edited by mrcrow