Upgrading Headunit to Columbus?

On 08/11/2019 at 13:39, SashaGrace said:

That’s a MIB2.5, you can rebrand the the Columbus but the Amundsen equivalent is hard as the Skoda units have no CD player and rework cost is high, it’s not worth it.

I found an 565035021C with 5E0919606D screen to it.

Is that a good headunit?

13 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Best head unit :) I have the 565035021A radio. It’s brill.

What happens if I buy this unit, put it in the car, get CP removed but dont code it. 

What will work and what will not work? 

Have an mib1 columbus now. 

On 14/11/2019 at 12:24, Jsilva_2 said:

Hello, i tried a columbus retrofit in a Kodiaq w/ coding on line and did not work.

They told me to get vcds.. anyone could help?

VCDS won’t help for CP and feature enablement, you will need ODIS-E. I take it you have an Amundsen now? Contact Pawel, he’ll explain how these radios work.

14 hours ago, Obalaan said:

What happens if I buy this unit, put it in the car, get CP removed but dont code it. 

What will work and what will not work? 

Have an mib1 columbus now. 

You’ll then have a radio and a media player, maybe a phone. It’s not practical to do CP and not do the rest of the coding, so many features won’t work. At least the Columbus is the easiest unit to work with regarding CP.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello i have amundsen MiB1, and i buy lcd columbus and replace it. All work good, but lcd have problem... Can anyone help? 

Old amundsen: 5E0 919 605D

New columbus: 5E0 919 606

Primary Machine with CD a 2x SD: ZR_StdNav_MOST: 5E0 035 864 A

IMG_20191207_124708.jpg

5E0035864A is the part number for a MIB1 Amundsen. You have bought a Columbus screen 5E0919606. These are not compatible components. The screen is just a screen, the MIB1 Amundsen runs 240x400 resolution, not 480x800 for the 8 inch screen. The only fix for this is to upgrade the radio to one that supports the screen, either a MIB1 Columbus or a MIB2, or you go back to the old screen.

• Like 2

Swapping radios isn’t a cheap and easy process. All MIB radio’s have Component Protection that must be removed and then features need to be reactivated. I would recommend the MIB2 Amundsen for its cost, ease of rework and features including SmartLink for Android Auto/Apple CarPlay/MirrorLink. 5Q0035874A is the one to go for and then you’ll need to talk to member Pab567 about rework cost to get it to work in the car.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, cm9876 said:

Does any one know if the Amundsen on the octavia and fabia are the same. I have a fabia 2016 with Amundsen 2 sd slots. will the columbus screen work.

The Fabia dash is the wrong shape so although physically it’ll work it won’t fit in the car.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

The Fabia dash is the wrong shape so although physically it’ll work it won’t fit in the car.

ok thanks. thats a shame i found one quite cheap on ebay

Hello !  My cars is Octavia mk3  2013 . I have  a Blues Radio Unit !

What must I do   to change  this unit with  a Bolero / Amundsen / Columbus     unit with Bluetooth ?

Can I do something with VCDS   for   Component Protection  ?

Thank you !

bfsk1.jpg

Someone asked a similar question a while back. You'll need to take the glovebox out to reroute the cables from behind the centre console to where the glovebox unit will be. Then you'll need the required cables for the screen and any other cables (GPS, etc.).

If it were me I'd go for an alpine halo 9. Single din so should fit ok and gives a load more functions than you have already and carplay/android auto ready. Should be mostly plug and play.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hello all I'm new to the forim. Can somebody please give me the idiots guide to the columbus 9" installation? I should be picking up my 66plate vrs soon and I'm looking to install this. 

I know where to look to buy this and I have read you can buy the head unit also. 

What does the extra head unit do? 

What else do I need and where to go to get it done for full usability? 

Has anyone installed a non vag group screen from say halfords etc? Would I lose the vehicle drive mode select capability? 

Really appreciate the help 🙂