Upgrading Headunit to Columbus?

7 hours ago, BlockABoots said:

what type of removal tool do you need to get the screen out?

just four euro stereo removal key, pennies on ebay or you can get them from halfrauds. 

the screen forsale at £400+ postage, i think the line issue is my connector and not the screen. still these are going for £400+ on ebay there are some crooks looking £700-800 as thats what the cost new. there are zero marks on this either the frame or glass,

I can post this next day recorded  on monday. paypal is fine.

Edited by JohnnyType2

What!!!!! They told me they didn’t have one the other day! They were the suppliers of my nav screen and I have been in touch about a few items. They also have a MIB2 Canton amp for sale but I’m not sure a full Canton retrofit it worth it. I’ve seen a thread where just the sub is installed though. I am tempted with that as I have been looking for one but if you want it @JohnnyType2 I won’t buy it from under you :)

So far this has been a real headache for me :(

Currently running Bolero MIB1 with canton, bluetooth and handsfree and want to upgrade it.

I found an Amundsen MIB2 head unit (5Q0035874A) and screen (5E0919605M) for 526 euro including shipping to Sweden. But I still need to remove CP, probably do SW and/or HW-hack and apparently also find a Canton MIB2 unit as well.
On top of that get navigation going with changing antenna. Then I noticed that it might be nice to play DVDs and that the navigation with a Columbus is better...

After a few days searching I found a decent Columbus MIB2 screen (5E0919606) and head unit (5E0035043D) for the same amount as the other package which is probably a steal but the bottom frame of the screen is missing something, like an insert. Can I use my Bolero MIB1 insert? If not, are they easy to come by?

My second question is; Can you somehow hack Canton MIB1 to be used with Columbus MIB2? If not, what is the serial number to search for for Canton MIB2?

And my third question is what else is needed in order to get canton, bluetooth, and navigation going with upgrading to Columbus?

columbus.PNG

On 12/10/2018 at 18:19, reven said:

Other than that, there are no functionality differences?

MY16 - only skin with 5 memories in radio and phone

MY17 - M16 + skins with 5 and 6 memories in radio and phone, Media Command

MY18 - MY17 + Skoda Connect, new graphics (pictures) in menu

14 hours ago, pab567 said:

CANTON amplifier for MIB1 - 8V0035223

CANTON amplifier for MIB2 - 3Q0035466A or 81A035223 

Columbus must be hacked to have feautres activated. 

I have 8V0035223 and planing update from MIB Columbus to MIB2 I know that need to update canton also but do this need to be "hacked" in MIB2?

1 hour ago, reven said:

You guys are all awesome!

By the way, regarding the bottom frame in my picture. Can I put in the one from my Bolero MIB1 unit, does it fit?

My bolero MIB1 is the smaller screen 5" and doesnt have the bottom detachable bar, i cant comment... but from the picture it looks similar.

58 minutes ago, BlockABoots said:

And installed, as simple as every one described.....

IMG_20181020_124540.jpg

so the audio on this units are supposed to sound better than the older ones correct?

its still rubbish though! at minimum you would need to get the speakers updated. 

I’m almost happy with the MIB2 audio quality but an upgrade would be nice. I’m far from an audiophile though and it’s far too much effort for me to be serious considering I’m not sure whether to keep the car much longer than the next 12 months. I love it, but might go for a new petrol car if I can do I’ll just tick the better audio option then :)

MIB1 audio is awful as standard no matter which way you look at it!!

22 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I’m almost happy with the MIB2 audio quality but an upgrade would be nice. I’m far from an audiophile though and it’s far too much effort for me to be serious considering I’m not sure whether to keep the car much longer than the next 12 months. I love it, but might go for a new petrol car if I can do I’ll just tick the better audio option then :)

MIB1 audio is awful as standard no matter which way you look at it!!

i usually drive my cars to the scrap yard, i have an old VW with 450K miles on it. This modification is an expensive time consuming one but i believe if your going to go to all the expense and trouble you might as well get a decent set of speakers. I have no idea why they put those awful weak paper cones in. i like it loud and decent quality and the only way to get decent quality using this setup is with a DSP as the OEM unit just tails the bass and quality off as you get louder to protect the crappy speakers. Ive heard the canton and its really not worth the money at all. You get better sound from an active bass under seat sub.

• Like 1

I like to change cars regularly tbh, it’s a curse so I’ll just tick the box come change time. I probably won’t have to worry about the quality of the CANTON system as the next car isn’t likely to be a Skoda unless they put the leather option back into the Octy vRS.

Hello everybody. Very intelligent and focused audience. I'm writing form Bulgaria. I read all posts in this topic and actually learned a lot especially from SashaGrace and PAB. Here is my case:

We have a company octavia III combi 1.4 tsi - 7DSG, vision outlook - that we bought 2017. It is a charm. And it is still on warranty. 

It has a Bolero system with 6,5" display which should be 800x480 resolution - the same as the columbus displays from the same year.

By accident I had a chance to own for about 300 euro columbus system main unit + its 8 inch display from a severely crashed octavia produced also in 2017th.

In the first place, since we mainly use android auto for navigation, my idea is to use the columbus display on our bolero system and after all I read - it should work right? Plug and play. 

But is the removing of screen somehow recorded by the car system and after some time the dealer to be able to intercept intervention and make the warranty void?

Second I found that the plug for the columbus screen is different than the plug for the bolero/amundsen screen. I saw that one of the posters sliced the plug that comes from the car in order to fit, but my intention is to make place for the plug into the nest of the columbus  screen rather than slicing the plug from the cabling - again from warranty void perspective. If for some reason the car should go for servicing or some warranty issues we can put back the original screen and leave everything intact. But I have to be sure that this 8" screen will work on our system before I intervene. So I'm asking is it going to work without any coding or component protection activation.

Secondly what is this component protection. Can somebody explain in more detail. Is it true that it only can be deactivated by a skoda dealer. What happens if he refuses. Also this additional coding that PAB is speaking about. Is the whole car needed for coding or only the main unit can be sent to PAB? What if there is no smart link or voice control activated - is this the hack that you are talking about or it should be added again by a dealer. On our current bolero system there were no smart link and voice control so we paid extra to activate them on the bolero.

IN SHORT Can I have a fully activated and full feature main unit that is plug and play for my car to wait for the warranty to expire and plug it in and work with all available functions.

SO IN SUMMARY If i also decide to use the columbus main unit - I have to remove component protection, do some coding(PAB can you explain in more details what happens here), buy extra gps antena and from were I take maps for the SD card in the columbus, since I can't do it from internet by entering my VIN. Maybe I can keep the main unit and wait  for the warranty to expire and then make the update.

I have some unlock code from the unit's book(does this help with CP) and I have the VIN of the crashed vehicle. I could also take the shark fin from it and maybe cable (but is it worth it ... we have to bore the roof to install it).

What would be your advice guys now that you know all the details?

Any advice is very welcome!

The radios are coded to the cars vin. The easier solution for you is just to pop the Columbus screen into the car and leave it all as it is. The screen is just a screen and nobody can tell if you’ve plugged a different screen in. The Columbus would get you some extra features (nav, HDD etc) but if you are concerned about warranty I’d leave that out and just use the screen. The nav and traffic buttons wouldn’t work, but the backlight still does, they just don’t do anything when you press them. No coding on the screen, just plug Columbus screen into Bolero and enjoy Android Auto on the big 8 inch screen :)