Si's clio 172 budget track car

SNH

Solid top mounts sorted 

Gaz gha's ordered. specced the front springs a bit stiffer 550lb fr 450lb rear and went with rose jointed rear mounts. 4 week build time though 😞

20190618_153439.jpg

20190618_153436.jpg

• Like 1

Electrics aren't my forté but i managed to wire a battery cutoff switch in and what a laugh that's been.

Take the keys out and it still runs until you turn the cutoff switch which baffled me, I've checked the wiring over and over and I've since been told thats normal? :D

Still not 100% convinced on that though.

Its had a new injector after one was found to be faulty and a decent lambda again faulty. 

Now ticks over nice and smooth :)

• 3 weeks later...

Gaz's should be built and here this week :)

Picked up some poly front windows with lockable sliders, still need to source the rear ones but I'll probably buy new as they aren't that dear tbh.

20190708_182130.jpg

20190708_182140.jpg

Picked up some non xenon headlights to do a cold air feed mod to do i could still retain lights and use it on the road. 

Didn't quite go to plan as it turns out the internals are pretty brittle and having a heavy hand meant i now have headlight blanks instead :D

20190707_214604.jpg

20190708_165540.jpg

Edited by SNH

So its on all 4's again!

Ordered lemforder rod ends and ball joints from ecp and for some reason they sent them seperate, rod ends turned up yesterday and joints today :D

Wheels are only temp things to roll it around while i decide on some 15's since getting rid of the super t's, 

Suspension wants a fettle to get the ride heights something like front and rear.

Still plenty to go at but its getting there :)

20190718_192129.jpg

20190718_192040.jpg

Edited by SNH

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Nearly there, Got it booked in for a shakedown track day yet?:thumbup:

Not yet, hoping it'll be ready to mot by the end of the year and I'll get some road miles on it to make sure its all ok before i kick its head in on track :)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Guess the X5 will make a good tow car.:D

The plan is to daily this and drive it to and from track, if now I've gone a bit overboard with it and its not very nice to live with as a daily I'll no doubt have to look at buying a trailer and prize the x5 off the mrs :D

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SNH said:

The plan is to daily this and drive it to and from track, if now I've gone a bit overboard with it and its not very nice to live with as a daily I'll no doubt have to look at buying a trailer and prize the x5 off the mrs :D

Wow that's a hardcore daily. I won't even lower/stiffen my Vrs as I like the comfort too much and accept it will understeer a fair bit on track.:biggrin:

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

I was wandering if your are planning to keep it road legal.  Guess that answers the question.

That is the plan, 

Bumpers now quick release and the light blanks use the oe mount holes so take seconds to swap over at track days. 

There's no warning lights on the dash so everything will be pretty much mot'able ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not updated in a while, 

Rear poly windows are in 

Abs is deleted (waiting on internal braided kit coming to replace all the lines.

Handbrake cables on 

Poly window slider scoops ordered 

received_407016766619114.jpeg

20190813_175903.jpg

20190813_175843.jpg

• Like 1

As there's no aircon i want a roof scoop but have been told to try these first as the scoops tend to be really noisey. 

Ordered from acw motorsport plastics (same place i got the rear windows) to give them a try. 

Slider scoops to try and force some cold air in :D

Lots more pics and randomness on my insta

https://www.instagram.com/cheapskate_racing/

20190827_184951.jpg

20190827_185001.jpg

20190827_184932.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had a couple of 172's in this last week so I've managed to grab a few bits off them for mine. 

Decent rear calipers as i think one of mine is sticking and some 15's. 

Not what I'd have bought as i hate multispokes and black wheels but they were free. bit wide for track but they'll do for the road. They want some decent rubber once its driveable and a refurb which is happening today hopefully. 

New steering wheel and boss also arrived too :)

20190907_135431.jpg

20190912_173450.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...