Si's clio 172 budget track car

SNH

• 2 weeks later...

Battery box in just need to fix it in place, floors not straight so bolting it down isnt really and option. Considering 4 90° small steel bends 1 in each corner bottled to.the box and welded to the floor. 

20190321_164422.jpg

To me a budget track car is putting more suitable tyres on an mx5.  I guess the title doesn't say 'low budget track car' :tongueout:

Really enjoying the read and gets me motivated to build something once I have the space.  Thanks!!

Edited by MarkyG82
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 08/04/2019 at 12:26, MarkyG82 said:

To me a budget track car is putting more suitable tyres on an mx5.  I guess the title doesn't say 'low budget track car' :tongueout:

Really enjoying the read and gets me motivated to build something once I have the space.  Thanks!!

That was the original plan, thats since gone out the window :(

It originally came off the road to sort the knackered suspension but the more i dug the more i found needing replaced. 

Since then its spiralled out of control :D

By the time its done i could have probably bought one already done cheaper but where's the fun in that ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SNH said:

By the time its done i could have probably bought one already done cheaper but where's the fun in that ;)

And you wouldnt have it juuuuuuuuust right :clap:

• Like 1

Another moment of madness to chase the weight loss and to simplify things. 

OE heater blower motor removed to make way for a smaller, lighter less complicated cup model one. I do need to make some sort of plate up to cover and seal the hole into the cabin just need to decide whether to rivet or weld.

20190324_155926.jpg

20190324_112749.jpg

20190324_162502.jpg

Edited by SNH

Bit of research on the heater swap didnt bring up much other than some pins in the main harness plug needed swapping as mine has climate/aircon and cups had neither. electrics aren't my strong point :D

Bit more digging and i stumbled across an old post saying he'd just trimmed the cup setup to fit the old heater resistor to keep the original plug, so i set to it and bingo it works. Just need to cut a plug off each setup and swap them over and its in and working. Whether it blows hot and cold i wont know till its on the road but it works off the climate controls.

Happy days.

20190421_144424.jpg

20190421_144419.jpg

20190422_094312.jpg

Edited by SNH

• 1 month later...

Apart from trying my patience this last few weeks not a lot has happened with it tbh. 

Had a bright idea to fit a battery cut off switch but not wanting to cut the dash to fit it internally i decided it'd go in the Passenger scuttle panel, easy i thought...wiper mechanic is in the way! 

Fitted it in the drivers side....happy days. Then realised the dash, wiper mech, alloy tanks all had to come out to re-route the power cable 😞

20190526_191038.jpg

20190526_191049.jpg

• Like 1

Its also aqquired a misfire since being park up. 

Tested the injector resistance today, 

1, 2 and 4 all measured a healthy 14.2 - 14.5ohm but injector 3 was 8.2ohm :D