Question about Tyres

atki81

Hi I’ve got the Pirelli scorpion verde (summer) tyres on my bear but would like to ask if anyone knows if they are run flats and if they have the seal inside technology which auto seals punctures?

They aren't run flats, but they do utilise Pirelli's 'Seal Inside Technology'...

http://www.pirelli.cn/tyres/en-gb/car/find-your-tyres/all-about-tyres/technology-seal-inside

You should be able to see this logo on the sidewall...

sealinsidetechlogo.jpg.b8072fa7c971d791c04afd7b91a2205f.jpg

Some people say that the effort required to make a repair makes them more hassle than they're worth...

Capture.JPG.4bc7992ebb2a7950cde7da015dea85a5.JPG

Unfortunately, the other 19" tyre Skoda fit to the Kodiaq (Hankook Ventus S1 Evo SUV) also features self sealing technology (Sealguard)...

https://www.hankooktire-mediacenter.com/index.php?id=151&flt=1&tx_news_pi1[news]=181&tx_news_pi1[controller]=News&tx_news_pi1[action]=detail&cHash=b3428ccb3c9f0284b98e27bb1d4e5bab

So you can't escape it.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Pirelli don't make Runflat tyres in their Scorpion range that they sell in the UK that fit the Kodiaq.

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/find-your-tyres/fit-on-your-car/skoda/kodiaq/2018/244817

The 'seal inside technology' only helps with foreign object punctures in the tread.

Any puncture in the sidewall and you will have a flat tyre.

Thanks AG Falco

Edited by AGFalco
Add more detail and url.

Thanks for the replies guys. I’m a Just a little confused as looked in to it further and they show as self seal/run flat for the Scorpion Verde on Pirelli’s website as they are the summer tyres and not the all season versions. It’d be a lot easier if they had a spec sheet or better defined detail on the website. Was just hoping someone would have a definite answer or a link to the tyres spec sheet etc but everyone’s comments conflict slightly. Thanks for everyone’s advice. I’ll email Pirelli and see if they’ve got a detailed spec sheet and I’ll share it here.

0225C5A0-4777-4DA5-865D-FAE888F502CD.png

There is a big thread on 'All Season tyres'    & Lost in Translation.   German to English or American English.

Some All Season tyres are Summer Tyres, after all VW Group import to the UK 4x4 / AWD and other cars to use all year on Summer Tyres. All Seasons.

'All Weather Tyres'  is a pretty good term.   Michelin CrossClimate are 'Summer Tyres' with Winter Certifications,  ie All Weather. 

Their are 'Winter Tyres' & there are Snow Tyres.  there are Snow Flake Certified tyres and there are M&S Tyres that are not Snow Flake / 3 Peak Marked.

There are Brochures that says vehicles have All Season Tyres and they arrive on Summer Tyres that can be use All Season but might be crap in European Winters.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/423163-are-all-weather-tyres-legal-in-the-eu 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/372027-not-a-winter-tyre-thread-all-season 

Michelin who are French and own BF Goodrich who are North American and even manufacture tyres in the UK compare 

Michelin CrossClimates to All-Season tyres, (summer tyres) not to All-Weather tyres....

In the Video that follows this one Thomas is at that 'All Season thing'.

Lost in Translation as normal.

& WTF is the 'Usual one'  does he mean some crap 'All Season' German manufactured Continental or Pirelli, or is it Bridgestone, Dunlop or what.  Just say Thomas then which 'Summer Tyres are you talking about are these 'Eco' Summer tyres.

Edited by Offski

The scorpion verde fitted to my SEL are definitely seal inside and are summer tyres not the all season or run flat versions linked to above.

96CD867C-ED9E-46CA-9F20-2DCED6F3D3C1.jpeg

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 3

If you live in or drive near the Cairngorms now might be the right time.

But then you might have All Weathers on now and if the weather really gets snowy for any period of time fit the snow tyres, 

and others will just use the Summers on their Micra, Ka / Fiesta, Picanto, Up!MiiCitigo etc and drive all year without any problem as the Crossover / SUV's struggle.

17 minutes ago, robdav said:

is it worth investing in a set of winter tyres too?

For you (Reading) and me (Gloucester), probably not. For others up North, probably. Yes, I know they help in the rain and other crap weather, but I find not driving like an idiot also helps and I've never used winter (or 'all season') tyres ever. If the weather is that crap (snow), then enjoy the spectacle and go build a snowman instead. Whatever you were going out for can wait a day or two.

Does help that I work from home though, so I don't think there's ever anywhere that I absolutely must go when the weather is crap.

• Like 1

So many London Drivers & other City Commuters seem to think Winter Tyres are a must.  There were a few threads last winter on here.

I am amazed more do not ask on the forum about studded tyres availability, obviously there are no travel alternatives like the busses that are still driving around the cities. or trams, tubes or trains, or pavements. 

Edited by Offski

If you regularly drive in temperatures 7 deg and below during the winter months then it would be worthwhile considering fitting winter wheels/ tyres. 

The added bonus of fitting winter wheels is it saves you alloys from salt and any damage if your unfortunate enough to slide into a kerb. You also save wear on your summer tyres whilst they’re layed up for the winter. 

Most people change over to winter tyres around the clock change at the end of October, but it really depends on your location.

• Like 1

It is now officially Autumn, has been for a week.  People in the UK have been driving at temperatures around freezing over the last few weeks in the UK.

Not sliding off the road, spinning wheels or having accidents, and likely might not for months to come with what tyres they have from the car being delivered.

The Winter Fuel starts being delivered around Mid October up north, and then around that and later as you go further south, and that is until March.

Sometimes the Cold Wintry / Spring weather hits about April.

The Bridgestone Dueller on a Karoq & Ateca AWD are ridiculous IMO / IME if to be used as 'All Season' Tyres, ie on All Year including snowy roads..

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/445908-karoq-4x4-in-the-snow 

Edited by Offski

I don’t have a choice about driving when the weather is bad (within reason), so when the current set of tyres wear out they’ll be replaced with M+S rated all seasons - my dad’s old X3 had a set of those and they were phenomenal in snow and ice - managed to tow a MINI up our iced drive that was so slippery you could barely walk up it. And they didn’t have the faff of needing to change tyres/wheels twice a year and find somewhere to store them. 

I’m not in a massive rush to change though as summer tyres on a 2WD car have worked just fine for me up to now. 

£40-about £60 a tyre in a Kodiaq Suitable size,  (pay more as you want, buy premium, big brand if needs must) not ditch finders and German Technology 'Made In China'  It snows in China. Just budget 3 Peak / Snow Flake / M&S.

Horses for Courses. fit the Horse Shoes required. Correct speed / load rating most important.

DSCN2015.JPG

DSCN2014.JPG

DSCN2016.JPG

Edited by Offski

48 minutes ago, robdav said:

thanks guys.

for those of you who do run winter rubber do you have this on separate wheels or do you just swap the summer for winter on your existing wheels?

My mum, sister, brother in law all swap tyres over. I have Michelin crossclimates. I'm getting a second set of wheels to put winter tyres on for my fiance.

Often the recommended winter tyres are a different size to summers, so you may need a different size wheel. Often winter tyres sizes are cheaper than lower profile summers too.

Hi Robdav,

When I bought a set of 4 Kumho winters last winter, got them placed on my factory-fitted alloys.  When spring eventually arrived, I sourced a set of identical-sized steel rims from a large breakers (got advice from here on exact wheel spec to be demanded), then got same local tyre depot to transfer all over, so currently on the summers on alloys, the winters are slumbering in the shed!

Richard.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/09/2018 at 12:52, 05surveyor said:

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres fitted to my Bear are neither "Run Flat" or "Seal Inside".

The SE get's 18" alloys. It would appear that the Seal Inside (Pirelli) and SEAL GUARD (Hankook) tyres are only on the Kodiaq's with 19" alloys (Triglav, Sirius & Crater).

• 3 weeks later...

My sportline with 20’ wheels has come with continental sport contact 5’s with conti seal which I’m guessing does the same as the others, seal inside, seal guard etc. I was expecting to get the Pirelli tyres but quite happy with the Continental’s as I’ve had them previously and thought they where good.