What's happening with VAG

Skinneroo

On 09/09/2018 at 18:06, rum4mo said:

VW can easily fix this for a bit over £3000 - leasing company did not like that and suggested that he did without the radio even though that is not ideal

Christ on a Bike, that's a lot. My beemer has had two radios in 18 months due to cosmetic cracking of buttons and I thought they were extortionate at £1500 each.

5 hours ago, Odin1123 said:

Yesterday (14/09/2018) I took the car in to the dealer to get a broken door edge protector replaced. It had fallen off when I opened the near rear side door. I fully expected that this would be replaced under warranty, the car being less than 12 months old. I was informed however that VAG had issued a notice, dating from August this year, saying these were no longer covered by warranty. They were blaming the customer for missuse.

My view of this that if you place something on a car that is easily broken through normal use of the car, it is bad engineering. The cost is small (£35) but the principle of VAG being able to void parts of the warranty as they please is unaceptable.

If a part designed for wear and tear fails to carry out that function then I'd have thought there is an argument for that part not being fit for purpose. However at £35 VAG likely know that it is too low a price to bother going through that effort for.

Skoda is quite right there, now, if VW Group extended that way of thinking to all their other mess ups, they would be almost back in profit?

Shame their past customers would be out of pocket so maybe not ready cash wise to buy a new car if they (VW Group) go down this amazing new line of operating.

I used to be quite happy in a twisted kind of way when my local Ford dealer's warranty officer rejected my requests for FOC repair/replacement to the steering column control switch assembly, it just forced me to write a silly note to Ford UK explaining the "true" meaning(s) of F O R D, that worked twice.

Perhaps if people stopped buying from VAG they might start to improve reliability/quality and would not have to keep fobbing customers off with b******t every time they have an issue.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Odin1123 said:

Yesterday (14/09/2018) I took the car in to the dealer to get a broken door edge protector replaced. It had fallen off when I opened the near rear side door. I fully expected that this would be replaced under warranty, the car being less than 12 months old. I was informed however that VAG had issued a notice, dating from August this year, saying these were no longer covered by warranty. They were blaming the customer for missuse.

My view of this that if you place something on a car that is easily broken through normal use of the car, it is bad engineering. The cost is small (£35) but the principle of VAG being able to void parts of the warranty as they please is unaceptable.

My step mum, had a Hyundai I30 and 2 years in,one of the silver chrome trims fell off one of the window surrounds.

She popped into the dealers and they turned around and ordered a full set of trims, saying if one had fallen off there must be an issue with the glue and duly removed them all and glued on all the new ones under warranty.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Odin1123 said:

I have mine in tomorrow for the same issue, up to now the dealer has been saying it’s a warranty claim. If they come up with something different tomorrow words will be said, as the evidence on other groups points to a design issue.

On 09/09/2018 at 09:33, Estate Man said:

No engine needs to be noisy these days, yet they produced the 1.2TSI engine which is by far one of the most mechanically noisy engines they've made.

I'm genuinely surprised to read that.  One of my colleagues has a 1.2TSI, and it's nearly inaudible when moving around the car park.  I had one as a courtesy car for a few days, and the same was true of that (it was quite noisy when being revved, but I don't know if it was "noisy as an absolute" or "noisy relative to quiet low rev noise", if that makes sense).  Of course, my experience is brief and limited to two engines ...

In contrast, two people I know have BMW 2 series petrols (a 218 and 220), and another has a Mercedes B-class (B180, I think) - in terms of exterior noise, they are getting on for as loud as my PD on start up (I was genuinely surprised and thought they were CR diesels!), and sound considerably noisier than my dad's SAAB 9-3 Aero.

22 hours ago, Odin1123 said:

I was informed however that VAG had issued a notice, dating from August this year, saying these were no longer covered by warranty. They were blaming the customer for missuse.

Well, a warranty is a contract, and you can't retrospectively modify it without the consent of the other parties, unless it's to their advantage.  Have you tried taking it to another dealer?  I had the silvering fail in a replacement fog light 18 months into its' 2 year guarantee - one dealer refused to replace it calling it "fair wear and tear", whilst another replaced it without question and effectively called the other dealers idiots (paraphrasing, "they get paid by VW for warranty work, so it's in their interests to do it").

On 09/09/2018 at 21:06, silver1011 said:

As with everything in life, cars are becoming consumables.  Throw it away and finance a new one.

Sadly, I fear that attitude is becoming more prevalent within the industry.  One of the BMWs I mentioned above had been spotted using coolant twice - the dealers stopped investigating when the pressure test came back OK.  It also plumed blue smoke when being started after being left sitting for a week - from what I was told, the dealers weren't interested.

On 18/09/2018 at 09:55, Odin1123 said:

Took mine in today and the dealers comment was ‘The retaining clip is deformed. Warranty issue. Parts ordered’. It’s booked in again next week as they expect the parts by Monday.

On 18/09/2018 at 19:25, Defenderben said:

My step mum, had a Hyundai I30 and 2 years in,one of the silver chrome trims fell off one of the window surrounds.

She popped into the dealers and they turned around and ordered a full set of trims, saying if one had fallen off there must be an issue with the glue and duly removed them all and glued on all the new ones under warranty.

I would suspect there that Hyundai is still trying hard to build reputation and so for now will be more generous with warranty claims. VAG has established a reputation for reliability (irrespective of real life) and so feels likely it has some leeway to burn a bit of that save money and still maintain sales. From a bean counter pov that's a valid strategy.

From my observations right now the majority of breakdowns I see are Vauxhalls. But they don't have the worst reputation for reliability yet.

• Like 1

Skoda certainly seem to be getting worse at engineering. This seems to be influenced by VAG who now have a reputation for taking short cuts that backfire on them.The US government took action against them on diesel emmisions. The British government have done nothing. At least in England class actions are permitted. In Scotland they are not.

Edited by Odin1123

In Scotland an individual can raise an action and that can be crowd funded,  or the Scottish government could raise an action and that will be tax payer funded. So that is a class action pretty much.   If in doubt Google 'Alex Salmond',  people paying for the one persons court action and others paying the other sides, just they defendants side has no choice, there public money will be burned up by lawyers.

Edited by Offski

http://www.lindsays.co.uk/news-and-insights/news/class-action-claims-are-being-introduced-in-scotland

FTFY

[EDIT}

This was passed, it got royal assent in June 2018 so Class actions are now permissable in Scotland.

http://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/Bills/104998.aspx

Edited by Aspman
  • Thanks 1

& now the Scottish Greens, Scottish Labour, Scottish Lib Dems & the SNP are backing the Green MP's proposal for the default 20 mph speed limit in Urban Areas.

That Bill is going to committee or what ever to examine and if a Bill goes before the Scottish Parliament and is passed it could be in place by the end of 2019 in Scotland.

Or so i read kind of yesterday.

So just as predicted in the last thread on here, the SNP would give the Greens this.

So instead of the 30 mph and councils can reduce to 20 mph, there will be 20 mph and councils can increase to 30 mph.

Money spent, point to the Greens, and the Conservative and Unionists are as they were, could not give a monkeys.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-45631496

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/438295-proposed-20-blanket-limit-on-scottish-roads

Edited by Offski

On 25/09/2018 at 10:22, Offski said:

& now the Scottish Greens, Scottish Labour, Scottish Lib Dems & the SNP are backing the Green MP's proposal for the default 20 mph speed limit in Urban Areas.

That Bill is going to committee or what ever to examine and if a Bill goes before the Scottish Parliament and is passed it could be in place by the end of 2019 in Scotland.

Or so i read kind of yesterday.

I can see the man with the red flag walking in front of motor vehicles making a come back. 8-(

• Like 1

On 19/09/2018 at 20:19, Jfhuk said:

Took mine in today and the dealers comment was ‘The retaining clip is deformed. Warranty issue. Parts ordered’. It’s booked in again next week as they expect the parts by Monday.

Door protector got fixed today, ‘no charge warranty’

told by Skoda customer service that if the car is less than six months old they replace door edge protector without issue. unfortunately my car will be 12 months next month. However they have at least agreed to look into this.

Just now, Odin1123 said:

told by Skoda customer service that if the car is less than six months old they replace door edge protector without issue. unfortunately my car will be 12 months next month. However they have at least agreed to look into this.

Thats crazy, if its faulty, badly designed etc. , its faulty and should be covered for the entire warranty 

The whole issue of reliability and build quality comes down to money! VW had some serious money issues in the eighties and nineties (and now) and the quality of their cars was at rock bottom because of it. Rust, water leaks, electrical trouble, engine and gearbox issues etc etc were common place on their new cars. JUST LIKE NOW, THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BUILD THEM PROPERLY!  VW was regularly featured on consumer rights programs on telly with problem after problem being flagged up with their cars. Yet, the VAG marketing machine went into full swing with adds showing cars dropping off the ceiling from a great height, meant to indicate how strong the cars were and how reliable the VW range was. The public bought this muck and continued to buy their cars. That's why we are where we are today. VW has no money as they are being sucked dry by law suits all over the world due to the emissions scandal and other issues. A good rule of thumb is don't buy a car from a money starved manufacturer because they won't be building or designing good quality cars. A tech acquaintance of mine recently moved to Skoda as a master tech from Audi. He was just fed up with the constant major issue that Audi has with it's cars. Interestingly, he fixed my second Mk3 Fabia clutches with the new type of clutch. Not sure how he'll fare with Skoda! Yes, I broke my own rule in buying from a manufacturer associated with a cash strapped mother company. I made a mistake in buying a new Mk3 Fabia and allowing them to replace it with another brand new but equally bad car. A mistake I won't be repeating. 

• Confused 1