Digital SLR Camera advice please

Having looked at a couple of photograph treads I'm thinking of a Digital SLR Camara and a Zoom lens.

My last SLR camera needed a roll of film so I'm a " Digital " novice.

Can someone point me in the right direction on what would be a decent set up for a novice, nothing to fancy, standard + zoom lens for general Photograph up to around £500/£600.

Thanks 

AG

Hi, I have recently downgraded my DSLR kit. I used to use pro-spec gear but the weight of it having to lug it around was getting too much. I opted for a Nikon D3400 with a couple of lens and to be perfectly honest with prints up to size A3 I really cannot see any difference from the pro kit (which was a few years older in tech terms).  Give it a look, it is in your price bracket. Also have a look at www.kenrockwell.com a brilliant site for expert and honest reviews.

Edited by The Zee
typo
  • Thanks 1

Andy

Are you buying new, or interested in second hand?

I've a Canon EOS D1000, with lens, a Sigma 135-400 lens and a tripod I could be persuaded to part with, if you're interested.

Gaz

I own both a Nikon D5000 and a Nikon D7000 (beginner, and amateur DSLRs), and although the D7000 has better picture quality (owed to its slightly larger sensor), its more fiddly to setup properly.

I would go with a Nikon, of a D3xxx or D5xxx line, which are in your price range, and should come with one lens.  There are longer lenses available from around £80 up to whatever you want to pay really.

Depends on the type of snaps you plan on taking...?

If looking 2nd hand, pay attention to the number of shots it's taken, and whether the kit has been serviced properly (DSLRs are mechanical so do need servicing occasionally) if its done lots of shots.

I appreciate that AG has asked about a digital SLR but maybe he's also referring to bridge type cameras which would be easier to use, a lot lighter and definitely more versatile. At his price point the world is his oyster and the 'zoomability' factor would outweigh any lens that even runs into £mega.

The downside is that the sensor isn't quite a good as in an SLR but check out photo samples on whichever camera you shortlist.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, john999boy said:

I appreciate that AG has asked about a digital SLR but maybe he's also referring to bridge type cameras which would be easier to use, a lot lighter and definitely more versatile. At his price point the world is his oyster and the 'zoomability' factor would outweigh any lens that even runs into £mega.

The downside is that the sensor isn't quite a good as in an SLR but check out photo samples on whichever camera you shortlist.

What would you say was a bridge type camera John.  The camera/lens choice is a mine field. As I said earlier I have used an SLR camera before but it needed a roll of film

Choices, Choices, Choices....................

I'm not in a great rush to buy but I need to buy one which suits my needs, Photographing the grand kids, cars, wildlife  etc etc..............

Thanks everyone for your input

What is your old film camera??...do you still have the lenses & are they good??...if so just get the digital SLR body from the same brand as your or old film SLR & reuse the lenses....

otherwise go mirrorless.....& go for micro four thirds or APS sensor size...& drop mases of weight & bulk....in equipment size..

I also think that mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras will dominate in the near future. At present, the electronic viewfinder screens are inferior to a good SLR but technology is moving fast.

My first SLR was a Pentax Spotmatic, bought in the 1960s when Pentax dominated the SLR market. A classic camera, superb quality and rugged - I still have mine, though I haven't used it (with film) for a few years.

Since then I have had other makes as well. Olympus SLRs were nice, but with limited life. After trying digital with some compact cameras, I came back to Pentax. They still make very good cameras, though the field has been dominated by Nikon and Canon. What I appreciate about the modern Pentax DSLR is that one can still use any post-1960 Pentax lens with any current Pentax camera, though one does need a Pentax 42mm screw to Pentax bayonet adapter to use the old M42 screw mount lenses.  Pentax are now an overlooked brand, but their cameras are good. Most of the current ones are way above your price range. The cheapest (at SRS dealer in Watford) is currently the K-70 at £729, sold with the 18-50mm water-resistant zoom lens. (The sensor is APS-C size, so 18-50 is roughly equivalent to 25-70 mm in 35mm film terms).

If you are prepared to buy a used DSLR, I suggest joining a forum devoted to the brand you favour. There are usually enthusiasts upgrading to a superior model and willing to sell their old model at a reasonable price. I have found this a reliable way of buying lenses and other lightly-used and well-cared-for accessories. I belong to the UK Pentax user forum: <https://www.pentaxuser.com/> and I have always found them a friendly and helpful bunch.

Really depends on how technical you want to get, DSLR’s give you versatility and flexibility over a compact or sports/ bridge type camera, though if you are going to leave the camera on auto and are after high quality snaps then a bridge camera may be the way to go.

As stated mirrorless cameras are catching up, though have a little way to go. Some pro’s are swapping out their gear for the more expensive versions. £2k plus.

Its worth thinking carefully about which brand as most tend to stay in the same camp once committed due to interchangeability of lens and accessories between different models. Not much between Canon and Nikon, Sony produce some good gear also and are flavour of the month currently for those with bottomless pockets.

I use a Canon D760 DSLR to capture motorsports,, old industry,  buildings etc. It gives me the tools (fast focus, good frame rate etc) and quality I want and a reasonable resolution that can take a heavy crop if needed.

If you do go DSLR, the Canon D1300 with a couple of lens comes in on budget and is a great value bundle for someone new to DSLR’s.

Whatever you chose it’s a great hobby,  made so much easier with the digital age, looking forward to seeing some images. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/09/2018 at 11:13, fabdavrav said:

What is your old film camera??...do you still have the lenses & are they good??...if so just get the digital SLR body from the same brand as your old film SLR & reuse the lenses....

Good advice, but check that the lens mounts are forward/backward compatible. Nikon have kept their basic mounts the same since the 1960s. Canon have changed their lens mounts several times: the old FD mount was replaced by the EF in 1987, and the latter has gone through modifications in 2003 and 2012 (according to Wikipedia). The Pentax K mount (1975) can be used with older M42 screw lenses by means of an adapter. The lenses for the Olympus OM series of cameras were highly rated, but Olympus has since used different mounts on their newer cameras and compatibility varies.

Probably best for you to have a look at what's on offer in a decent camera shop. That should give you an idea of the size and whether its something you could live with. then after that I would say start looking at a few reviews/ comparisons on line. I had Canon DSLRs for a few years and went from the entry model 350D to a 60D in the recent past just for better focus for sports. I'm only an occasional shooter and found that the size of the 60D + 2 or 3 lens meant I went without it most of the time. Downsized last xmas to a Canon M5 mirrorless after testing on out in calumet. The sensor is better than in my 60D, it is compatible with my EF lens via an adapter and more importantly with the kit lens attached (15-45mm) it fits in a small bag and I can take it anywhere. Small, discreet, very good image quality. Also, if you can adapt to the camera, i.e. the screen, focus etc then it will perform fantastically for you.

If you're looking to earn a living out of the camera then I wouldn't compromise but if you want versatility, the market is awash with some fantastic offerings.

www.mpbphotographic.co.uk is a good place for pre-owned gear.

As others have said, depending on what you're looking at doing with it, a bridge camera may be a good option but you could probably get an older mid-range DSLR and a lens or two within budget.

I started with a Canon 400D and Sigma 18-200mm, it was never going to set the World alight but it served it's purpose.  It's now 10 years old but still works just fine, however I would imagine newer bridge cameras would easily out perform it now.

On 21/09/2018 at 15:35, cmcm789 said:

Probably best for you to have a look at what's on offer in a decent camera shop. That should give you an idea of the size and whether its something you could live with.

I agree. Modern dslr cameras are appreciably bigger than their 35mm film predecessors, especially with a midrange zoom lens fitted. My old Pentax Spotmatic weighs 900 grams with its 50mm lens, my current KS2 with a 16-85mm zoom weighs 1215 grams and feels even bigger. For this reason I am now  self-conscious when out with it, to the point where I only carry it when "I am going out to take some photos".  I also have a tiny Sony RX-100, just 10 cm long, which fits into a pocket or a side-pocket of a shoulder bag, and I almost always have it with me should a photo opportunity present. The Zeiss zoom lens is excellent and even though the sensor is small it is rated at 20 Mpx and I can attest to the good definition. The downside is having to compose on the screen, which is difficult in bright light (later models have a viewfinder), and if you set the ISO above 800 the image noise becomes objectionable. This is just one example of many compact cameras now capable of taking very good photographs under everyday conditions.

Edited by OldTrilobite
added lens size