Feedback wanted on 1.0 TSI 110 DSG Hatch

jbyrnes82

I am considering a new Monte Carlo 1.0 TSI 110 & DSG and am looking for feedback from anyone who has experience of this setup.

Does the engine have enough go at dual carriageway & motorway speeds?

What real world mpg are people getting?

I currently have an Octavia VRS but don't need two large cars in the family so am looking to downsize my wife had a MK2 Monte Carlo before so we are looking at one again.

Any constructive comments appreciated.

Pic below is my build from the online configurator.

image.thumb.png.6ef10d3ccc9f214857a7bf57d4975984.png

I can’t speak for the exact combination you have chosen, but have driven Fabia in past and it is surprisingly good

I have same engine in my new Arona (although SEAT brochure has it as 113, not 110) and it is much better than I expected, lot more lively than the 1.2DSG in the Yeti (that has just gone back), and the car being lighter than Yeti makes part of the difference.  The engine is very free reving and particularly suits the 7 speed DSG box as always in sweet spot.

You will not struggle at Motoway speeds, with 7 gears cruises comfortably

Regarding mpg, mine is still tight as only done 700 Miles, but currently getting around 36-38 in traffic and 42-45 on open road, would expect it to be even better after 2000-3000 Miles.  Fabia may be better than taller Arona

There is a very slight 3 cylinder thum when idling, but can only hear this if radio is off.  It is much quieter than any diesel car.   The engine is very quiet on move.

Not sure what fuel tank size is in Fabia, but discovered range is about 100 miles less in Arona than both the Yeti and our roomster (it only takes about £45 of fuel instead of £60-65 to fill it).  Unlikely to be a problem unless you live in remote part with lack of petrol stations)

Personally would recommend the 1.0 tsi DSG  for smallish car like Fabia, it sounds small, but is better than you will expect.

I have a Yeti L&K with 150hp TDI engine 6 speed manual & my wife's Fabia Hatch is a 1.0L DSG.

I was truly astonished when I needed to overtake from about 40mph - I floored the pedal and it just flew. It is a joyous combination of engine & transmission.

The economy (now about 5,000 miles) is about 53ish mpg.

It really is my go to car - the Yeti gets an outing now & then :).

Bill

On 14/09/2018 at 23:37, jbyrnes82 said:

I am considering a new Monte Carlo 1.0 TSI 110 & DSG and am looking for feedback from anyone who has experience of this setup.

Does the engine have enough go at dual carriageway & motorway speeds?

What real world mpg are people getting?

I currently have an Octavia VRS but don't need two large cars in the family so am looking to downsize my wife had a MK2 Monte Carlo before so we are looking at one again.

Any constructive comments appreciated.

Pic below is my build from the online configurator.

image.thumb.png.6ef10d3ccc9f214857a7bf57d4975984.png

That looks awesome, so much so I’ve just quickly specced on up and nearly fell off my chair when I saw the 21k price tag!!!

Also I’d be concerned about how high it sits on the 18” rims although they do look nice. On paper it looks like it should have plenty of power for every day driving

Edited by pee81

13 hours ago, lawnmowerman said:

I have a Yeti L&K with 150hp TDI engine 6 speed manual & my wife's Fabia Hatch is a 1.0L DSG.

I was truly astonished when I needed to overtake from about 40mph - I floored the pedal and it just flew. It is a joyous combination of engine & transmission.

The economy (now about 5,000 miles) is about 53ish mpg.

It really is my go to car - the Yeti gets an outing now & then :).

Bill

Thats encouraging to hear as our other car is a Tiguan with the 150 TDi engine so almost similar to your household having had no real experience of these new style small turbo engines its good to hear positive comments. Thanks

50 minutes ago, pee81 said:

That looks awesome, so much so I’ve just quickly specced on up and nearly fell off my chair when I saw the 21k price tag!!!

Also I’d be concerned about how high it sits on the 18” rims although they do look nice. On paper it looks like it should have plenty of power for every day driving

I must admit the price could always do with being less and I do get carried away with the options list at times but its comparable with the rest of its segment with the Ibiza FR and Fiesta ST Line being similar money and the Polo R Line pushing 24k my next headache is going to be choosing one out of the many available from a range of manufacturers.

I lean towards the Fabia as have had a number of Skoda's now but guess it will come down to which suits me in terms of comfort and spec and the price I will pay each month for the pleasure. 

Are there no VW Polos's including r-line with the likes of 3-£4,000 off the RRP / List Prices.

There are cars everyplace on offer, the Mk3 Fabia Face Lift is just available and £1,750 off looks good and the extra £750 off i got through in an e-mail yesterday but the prices are crazy and next year they will be greatly reduced no doubt as usual, all the cars in all the colours and too expensive sitting at Skoda storage facilities.

In stock and just needing buyers.

http://broadspeed.com 

Ah Broadspeed, I remember when their main activity was sorting out Minis!

They were one of the brokers I checked up with when I was importing my Passat in 1999/2000, when I went looking for prices for a new Polo in 2015 I got quotes from CarWow, DriveThe Deal and OrangeWheels.

I do realise that you are just providing evidence of prices available though.

• Haha 1

There are lots of deals out there and have been given a range of discounts through carwow, Ford are doing 0% which is a bonus, have been offered nearly 4k off a Fabia so far

I got that through the car wow site after hitting the options list price was 22k got that down to 18k following offer from dealer. I hope its for a FL as thats what I asked for will be going for a demo this week

7 hours ago, jbyrnes82 said:

I must admit the price could always do with being less and I do get carried away with the options list at times but its comparable with the rest of its segment with the Ibiza FR and Fiesta ST Line being similar money and the Polo R Line pushing 24k my next headache is going to be choosing one out of the many available from a range of manufacturers.

I lean towards the Fabia as have had a number of Skoda's now but guess it will come down to which suits me in terms of comfort and spec and the price I will pay each month for the pleasure. 

Specced up a 1.0 110 dsg on carwow. Pan roof, parking sensors, rallye green paint and 18” wheels just below 19k was the cheapest price.

• Like 1

I've done more or less the same through Carwow.

It's been pointed out to me by other forum members that same or higher spec models from other reputable manufacturers are cheaper.

Someone has mentioned the Citroen C3 Flare and another the Mazda 2.

On 16/09/2018 at 14:15, jbyrnes82 said:

I got that through the car wow site after hitting the options list price was 22k got that down to 18k following offer from dealer. I hope its for a FL as thats what I asked for will be going for a demo this week

Be careful jb. Carwow is good but when you actually come to do the deal you will find you cannot get 0% on a pcp with a very low retail discouinted price with 4k off. You end up with being offered a pcp with 7.9% or something like that. They have to make their money somehow. The dealers also charge you a Carwow fee of £360 which is included. Some dealers will absorb that £360 for a limited time in the summer months and in effect you get an extra discount but still have to pay a higher % rate. If you go for a 0% rate pcp the vehicle price will be higher but still less than the full retail otr price. My Citroen was £18200 otr discounted to £17400 with a 0% pcp. I was offered the car on Carwow for £14890 but the pcp was 7.9%. If you do the sums it works out much more  expensive to take the pcp with 7.9% on a lower priced car. The 0% pcp on a higher vehicle price worked out a bit less money over 4 years. In the end the only way to get a truly very discounted car is to pay cash which is what I did. I got my Citroen for £14500 otr which is a hellava saving. This was made up of a factory discount voucher and dealer discount. I also got £1000 extra on my trade in of my DSG Fabia from my Citroen dealer. Much more than it was worth according to all the books and dealers I spoke to. So in total I saved near £4700 on the deal by going outside of Carwow and dealing straight with my local dealer. My car has way more stuff in it and has a way more powerful engine than the SEL Fabia  which would have cost me near £20k specced to what I wanted. Way too much for what they are in my opinion. BUT, still a very good car and you won't go wrong with one if you go that route. 

Good hunting! Let us know how you get on. 

I have tried and was suitably impressed with the Fabia to place an order.

I was able to use the discount offered from a car wow dealer to haggle direct with my dealer and get a similar deal and still use the current Skoda finance deals.

Thanks for all the information its been useful in helping make a decision 

• Like 1

Blimey, that's a hell of a wait for the car. I don't think I could wait that long. It was bad enough waiting 3 weeks for my new Citroen! But well done. Sounds like you got a good deal. Let us know how you get on once you have the car. Bye for now.

Ordered one car in October and it turned up next June for me.

The Fabia III was only 12 weeks from order to me collecting on a factory order.

Thanks AG Falco

We ordered our 110PS Fabia in late February and we took delivery on the 1st of May, just over 2 months. It was a factory order since we were very specific with the options.

Its a 110PS SE-L hatch and the wife loves it. Its a manual (hate autos and the 3 DSG's I have driven in the past have not changed my opinion). So far its averaged about 52 mpg in mixed use. Performance is excellent, plenty of go for overtaking and no need to drop gears for lane changing on M Ways. Refinement is better than that of some much bigger/more expensive cars we have owned and the ride on 215/45 x 16 tyres has actually stunned me. the 2 previous cars we hsve owned with 45 profile tyres have ridden very poorly but the Fabia whilst no limo is more than acceptable.

An excellent car for the money, after discounts/PCP conribution and test drive bonus we paid just over £12000, over £5000 off list via Carfile. Paid PCP off within the week to keep deposit.

• Like 1

Hi,

I've the same engine and transmission and find it great. Never had any issues on Motorways or overtaking and I came from a 170Bhp Golf GT so was expecting to really notice it. Find it surprisingly responsive that I don't ever use the manual gear switching. I find if you're in Regular drive mode 'D' and you need to move it, the kick-down features works nicely. In saying that, I've recently started driving in Sport mode and have been pleasantly surprised at how it works in comparison to the sport mode on the older Golf I had that I use that mostly now when not doing city driving.

For MPG, just checked mine there, we've done nearly 6000Km's but the 'long-term' figure says it's based on around 2100km so don't know why that is. Anyway it's 6.6l/100km (43MPG) and that would be 80% city driving using D mode till this week. Also ours is the estate so I'd imagine the hatch would be better if everything else stayed the same.

Wife drives the car too and loves it. First time using DSG and says she'll never go back to manual. Hope that helps!

Edited by mark_irl
  • Like 1