DSG GEARBOX ERROR

Thanks guys for the very interesting posts regarding these boxes. Like I mentioned before thousands of them running faultlessly just the ones failed a money burner for the guy who has purchased a vehicle out of warranty or even with manufacturers warranty. 

As for ludicrous prices, it's just a rip off. 

Can DSG boxes be operated and driven detrimental to their function. Would a test drive throw up symptoms of problems. 

4 hours ago, benterrier said:

Thanks guys for the very interesting posts regarding these boxes. Like I mentioned before thousands of them running faultlessly just the ones failed a money burner for the guy who has purchased a vehicle out of warranty or even with manufacturers warranty. 

As for ludicrous prices, it's just a rip off. 

Can DSG boxes be operated and driven detrimental to their function. Would a test drive throw up symptoms of problems. 

Yes,, some people still treat DSG like an old slush box (torque converter). DSG is in effect a manual gearbox with automated clutches. The killer is allowing  prolonged clutch slip in a DSG. The DSG senses brake pedal pressure, full brake application while standing still fully disengages the clutch. Partial brake pressure causes the clutches to partly engage and causes heat and wear. If I get stuck in creeping traffic I either select sport mode or stick the DSG into manual change mode, to avoid the DSG shifting into 2nd gear as soon as the car starts moving. 

As for test drive, put car in manual mode and start driving as normal, select 3rd gear and allow revs to drop to 1,500 RPM. Make sure road conditions are safe, then floor the throttle, if the clutch slips or if there is jerkiness, the clutch pack is on it's last legs. 

• Like 1

On 24/02/2019 at 17:35, benterrier said:

Hi  How do you tell a wet from a dry,? 

For an Octavia Mk3

Any 2.0 will be a wet clutch, everything else dry.

Edited by logiclee

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Shobhit said:

Wat was the conclusion, how did the problem get solved.? I m having same type of issue. Pls help.

What are your issues?

1 hour ago, Shobhit said:

Geqr box error in skoda octavia 2015, conpany saying mechatronic error

Was it working normally and just showing an error or did you have mechanical problem as well?

• 8 months later...

Pretty sure I've just experienced the same problem. Last night, parking the car then no gears, flashing spanner on dash.  Found fluid to be leaking underneath the engine.  No warning at all, car and gearbox have been performing absolutely normal.

It's a 2013 rapid only 43k miles. Pretty annoyed as from what I've read it's going to cost a ton to fix.  I was going to be advertising it for sale next week as have a Kodiaq due for collection on Saturday. Didn't trade as better deal in England and I'm in Northern Ireland.

I bought it from a non-skoda dealer 3.5 years ago and had a service plan with them, it had the 40k dsg oil change in May.  I've checked the recall website and it comes up that one is required for it. I guess a non skoda dealer would not know about it?

Would I be best taking it (towed) to them or back to a Skoda dealer?

So disappointing as it's been a great wee car and the only issue I've had with it was a flat battery. Such a waste if it's going to cost the value of it to fix.  Probably get £1000 scrap for it otherwise.  Was hoping to get £4500 in private sale.

3 hours ago, tbone134 said:

Pretty sure I've just experienced the same problem. Last night, parking the car then no gears, flashing spanner on dash.  Found fluid to be leaking underneath the engine.  No warning at all, car and gearbox have been performing absolutely normal.

It's a 2013 rapid only 43k miles. Pretty annoyed as from what I've read it's going to cost a ton to fix.  I was going to be advertising it for sale next week as have a Kodiaq due for collection on Saturday. Didn't trade as better deal in England and I'm in Northern Ireland.

I bought it from a non-skoda dealer 3.5 years ago and had a service plan with them, it had the 40k dsg oil change in May.  I've checked the recall website and it comes up that one is required for it. I guess a non skoda dealer would not know about it?

Would I be best taking it (towed) to them or back to a Skoda dealer?

So disappointing as it's been a great wee car and the only issue I've had with it was a flat battery. Such a waste if it's going to cost the value of it to fix.  Probably get £1000 scrap for it otherwise.  Was hoping to get £4500 in private sale.

Get in touch with @alesypalsy on here, he has come up with a repair kit for about £200 for the DQ200 DSG box 

• Like 2

@tbone134

It might come up as a 'Recall' now, but since 2017 your DQ200 DSG will have been covered by the Recall Action or Skoda Secret Service tell few '37H5',  a Software update.

If the car had been at a Main Dealership since 2017 you should have been told.

It did not show here until recently.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

If you were not told and the car was at a main dealers since early 2017 you would have had comeback on them as it was a Preventative Measure. 

?

Did you just decide to have a Oil Change at 40,000 miles even though there was no Schedule or Guidelines to have one?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/425424-2017-another-dq200-7-speed-dsg-service-campaign

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/422718-rapid-recall-dsg

The posts by @ElectricalVRS In this thread are what the Service Campaign on DQ200 DSG's 2013-2015 is all about.

Not a Recall in the UK until recently, maybe after the Australian Recall, up till then it was a Service Campaign.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/425419-dsg-gearbox

It can only be a Skoda Recall or Recall Action, it is not showing as a DVSA / DVLA RECALL.  Meaning the DVLA does not give VW / Skoda keepers contact details.

For Service Campaign 34F7 the DVLA did give keepers details to the VW Group.

Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 10.05.11.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Thanks all for the replies.

@Roottootemblowinootsoot it was serviced by a skoda main dealer until I bought it in 2016, but I bought it from a Vauxhall/Mazda dealer who then carried out the yearly services. I was told by them that the mechatronic and gearbox oil should be changed at 40k. Incidentally the bloke who carried out my MOT after mentioned it too - MOTs aren't carried out in Garages in NI so no money to be made. They didn't mention anything about recalls, but not being a skoda dealer I've probably got no comeback?

Tony

• Thanks 1

So both were wrong and a DQ200 DSG which is a Twin Dry Clutch DSG does not have a Service Schedule for an Oil Change at 40,000 miles.

& having had that done it also never got a Software Update which if a Main Dealer had agreed to change the Oil, and there is 2 oils, they would or should have done.

Thanks @Roottootemblowinootsoot

I take it all Rapids from 2013 would have this gearbox? I was only assuming as it's the same symptoms I've found on various threads here.

In hindsight I probably should have taken out services at a skoda dealer but I was offered a service plan from the Vauxhall dealer when I purchased the car.

So if a 'Recall' is showing still this might well be '34H5' outstanding, the Software Update.

You had best check.  Regardless of the fault and cause of the leak now that will need doing. 

The leak might well have happened even if the Oil Change was not carried out as the Software was a preventative measure.

I doubt if Skoda will care though.

FWIW, my Skoda dealer (Murray's in Plymouth) also told me that my 65 plate DQ200 Octavia required a DSG oil change at 40k too! :)  It's not at 40k yet, but it would be interesting to see what they say if/when I book it in!!

Was thinking of changing from a 1.4 tsi manual to a 1.4 DSG, but after reading this thread , I will stick to my 16 plate 95K and climbing manual, that apart from servicing and one full set of tyres , its cost £29 for a temp sensor

Edited by skippy41

These gearboxes continue to fail and Skoda is just leaving their customers to foot the hefty bills. Skoda owners need to bombard Skoda with complaints. I have completely list confidence with Skoda and their unreliable cars. The complete loss of drive without warning can cause serious accidents.

• Like 1

Skoda Octavia Automatic 2015.  We were quoted £84 to run a diagnostic test. That failed to find the problem so the garage wanted £400 to strip down the gearbox. They diagnosed a problem with the mechatronic unit. A new one was fitted but the gears would still not engage. We were then told there was a problem with the cogs and it would be a further £600. Surely this should have been discovered when the gearbox was stripped down. Another new part was fitted but we have been told that although the car is running, it is very noisy.

The car broke down on 5th December and we are still waiting.

• Thanks 1

@Skodaliz   Is it an Octavia with a 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG? 

WHO PAID FOR THE MCU to be replaced?

The DSG will not have been stripped down just to install a new MCU.   The question could be did it require a MCU.

?

Was your car in since early 2017 to have Service Campaign '34H5' carried out before any issues?

?

Should it have been done?  The Software Update which was a preventative measure.  To prevent the sort of issue that required a new MCU.

?

Is this a Skoda Main Dealership you are dealing with.   

Best find out about the Service Campaign and if your DSG should have been in for the Recall Action.

Get that in writing from Skoda UK Customer Services.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot