Both rear fog lights, How-to GUIDE!

cristianene

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2020 at 20:53, Jakec said:

Does this work for reverse light as well?

Reverse light up on both outer clusters already

On 27/04/2019 at 10:44, Bap33 said:

@cristianene Do you have a picture of both left & right connectors to see cable colors where you plugged (out and in) ?

Thanks for your help !

if you look at his post is not so hard to see (the post with many pictures) brown is ground, grey is fog light and grey-red is for extended tail lights. to add to it if anyone interested the connector that comes from factory with 4 pins is 3B0972722 also useful for who needs to retrofit extended tail lights.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SpAwNtoHell said:

Reverse light up on both outer clusters already

if you look at his post is not so hard to see (the post with many pictures) brown is ground, grey is fog light and grey-red is for extended tail lights. to add to it if anyone interested the connector that comes from factory with 4 pins is 3B0972722 also useful for who needs to retrofit extended tail lights.

Thanks, I’ll have a look at it. 😉

• 7 months later...

So if I'm reading this correctly I should just need to splice into the grey wire on the right cluster with a 1.5/2m wire, add a connector to the end of that wire and plug it in to the left cluster plug with only 2 wires? If so, what additional connector is needed, and where is it plugged into? 

This is a great how to and solves an issue many have had with Mk3 superbs, it just needs fine tuning with the finishing details to help others carry out the DIY mod.

Can anyone suggest a connector they used and where they connected it to? 

• 2 years later...

BOTH REAR FOGS FOR 2020+ MODELS

I’ve The 2022 Facelifted Superb With The All LED Tail Lamps Setup

I Was Scouting For A Long Time To Do This Mod Too As Only A Rear Right Side Fog Light Made It Look Like A Cost Cutting On Their Flagship Car!

Then I Came Across This Post & Wanted To Give It A Try

Firstly Let Me Tell You That I Tried All VCDS Codings & None Of Them Work

NO VCDS CODING IS REQUIRED FOR IT

It’s Just A Case Of Hardwiring It From The Right Lamp To The Left One 😁

And As No Proper Way Is Listed Anywhere For 2021 Onwards Models And Our Connectors Are Totally Different From The Previous Gen Lamps, So Let Me Share The Whole Process With You Guys 🤪👍🏻

STEP 1 -

Unclip The Boot Closing Button & Remove It Aside, And Then Remove The Rear Trunk Liner (Which Is Held In Only By Metal Clips), So Pull It Apart In Downward Direction As Shown Earlier In This Thread With Plastic Trim Removal Tools 

A68FEBB7-8A4F-4284-8DF0-E4CC29637490.thumb.jpeg.f7b1445acb1648d56bce40de6dbe7d9d.jpeg

STEP 2 -

Find Both The Connectors For Both Left & Right Lamps

DA8936B8-26EF-40BB-A283-51FBA78D35C2.thumb.jpeg.99de17501e6d3b7672da72f496823047.jpeg

CE0E3CAB-608E-45D1-9AFF-5C022EE3EA05.thumb.jpeg.363cb0aa063065ceec25de8e61fac9fb.jpeg

As You’ll Notice From The Above Pictures, The Left Light Connector Has 5 Wires Going To It & 1 Empty Slot In The Connector 

Whereas, The Right Light Connector Has All 6 Wires & No Empty Slots

STEP 3 -

Take 2 Pin Crimp Connectors

(You Can Find These Easily In Old Computer Cables, Just Pull Them Out Of Any Lying Sockets)

See The Attached Picture For Reference

B03E6A45-FBA5-4775-B345-9F661FD69BC5.thumb.jpeg.248304aef76a1d6f0aebdd9fd21dee24.jpeg

STEP 4 -

Attach Both Of These Connectors To Both The Ends Of A 1-1.5m Long Wire And Solder Or Electrical Tape It Properly!

STEP 5 -

Now It’s Just The Matter Of Putting One End Of The Wire Into The Empty Slot Of The Left Connector (Refer Step 2) And The Other End Of The Wire Gets Joined Into The Bottom Right Light Purple Coloured Wire Which Is For The Fog Lights! 

Now Pack Everything Back To As It Was

AND VOILA YOU’RE DONE!

BDD3B2A0-52D3-4D05-813C-AE4463C68D36.thumb.jpeg.c94597dd7ba4937d832a037f04b3d4e8.jpeg

Enjoy Both Fog Lamps Working With The Same Switch 👌🏻

I Wonder Why They Provide Lights On Both Sides But Different Wiring 😞

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, 47Sportline said:

I Wonder Why They Provide Lights On Both Sides But Different Wiring 😞

because safety, brake lights are better visible with single fog

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

because safety, brake lights are better visible with single fog

Yes I Totally Agree With That 🤪

But For The Superb The Brake Lights Are On The Outer End On Both Sides

And Mainly It Is For The OCD Freak Inside Me 😝

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 14/09/2023 at 02:33, Bap33 said:

Do you know if this 'how to' also apply to a MY2017 Mk" (non FL version)?

Yes, This Is Done The Same Way On Pre FL Models Too, Just A Wire Needs To Be Run From The Right Coupler (With 6 Wires) To The Left One (With 5 Wires & 1 Blank)

• Thanks 1

On 13/09/2023 at 22:03, Bap33 said:

Do you know if this 'how to' also apply to a MY2017 Mk" (non FL version)?

Yes, certainly. I did that to our 2017 reg Superb. No coding or anything like that required. Everything works as it should. 

Errr... I think I have bad luck. It does work for me. 🙄

I have 3 wires on the left (4 slots / 1 empty on the connector) and only 2 wires on the right (4 slots / 2 empty on the connector). Note: I own a LHD Estate Mk3 (built in Q4 2017).

Nevertheless, I've noticed that the right rear light set (bolted on the tailgate) has an unconnected male pin, which I assumed to be for the right fog light.

I thought it would be as easy as you describe guys, but it ain't. I've made a connection on the Left rear fog light wire. I've checked that the voltage changes at the other end of my wire upon rear fog light activation: that's fine.

I've made a temporary connection to check everything is OK before final assembly, but the right rear fog light doesn't turn on... 😤

May be the male pin is a bit rusty. I forgot to check this point... 🤔

Conclusion: Back to square One... 😬

Has anyone done this on an estate version? Examples above are only for hatchbacks. May be there's a trick I miss?... 🤔

I'll also check my VCDS coding, because, I had tried (unsuccessfully *) to activate my right rear fog light using VCDS codes for RHD a couple of years ago. I'm quite sure, I' had put everything back to original LHD coding. But a double check doesn't cost much.

(*) I now better understand why, since the bulb😁 is not even wired... 

Well, any help would be much appreciated. ITA

On our RH drive Superb hatchback, I bridged our LH fog light from the RH cable (white/grey in colour), successfully. Original rear inner light connector had 3 cables on the RH side, and only 2 cables on the LH side. I've recently retrofitted the original 2017 lights to 2020 animation lights.

This why I'm doubting... Could there be something different on LHD estate version?

LH fog light has a white/grey wire too. I also tried to bridge the RH fog light from this cable but it remained off..

I'll give another try later. 

I don't know how the rear lights wiring on LH drive models looks like, but I would guess that it shouldn't be that much different to that of RH models.

If all attempts fail, it might be worth considering another check with a local motor vehicle electrician.

Also, ensure the fog light you're trying to connect to works. On ours, with the lamp off the vehicle, I firstly tested all individual lights (inside the lamp housing) by carefully connecting a 12V battery to the lamp's negative terminals (brown cable), then checked which light came on when the positive line from the testing battery touched individual pins. It's safer to use an 'automotive circuit tester' to touch individual pins to avoid accidental short circuiting. Attached here is a picture of how I linked our rear fog lights from the RH (white/grey cable) to the left side on a RH drive Superb Mk III model. Be patient and good luck.

20230928_134058.jpg

• Thanks 1

That's the best way to go about it, you'll eventually get there. It's not easy, but it can be done. Like you've said, start off by double-checking your individual lights first before connecting things up. And also, make sure your connector terminals and pins are sitting correctly in their individual housings. Please let us know how you get on. If you live around Midlands area, give us a shout for further assistance, if needed.

• Like 1

Well, I fear Midlands is bit far for me, since I live in France ~20-25km from Paris. 😁

Nevertheless, thanks for your proposal! ;)

I've been checking all my VCDS codes tonight. The good thing is that it's all set as it should. I was almost sure, but it's better to double check. When I tried to make the VCDS mod I had found on this forum, I had put all settings back to original values once I noticed the mod doesn't work for me.

Hence I "only" need to try the cabling again. But first I'll try to light up the right rear fog light on its own (ground with brown cable / +12V on unplugged pin).

I'll come back here when I find time to try again. ;) 

Thanks.

Sounds like you are playing it safe by testing the right fog light on its own whilst on an unplugged pin. It would also be worthwhile repeating the same testing to the left fog light, to ensure it works. If they both work, then there shouldn't be any reason why the cable bridging would not work for both fogs.

• Like 1