£169 for a first service

Wilbour3

My Citigo isn’t a year old yet, just over 6000 miles on the clock. Just started getting phone calls from my local dealer saying it’s due it’s first service in October. I asked if it was free as it had been on my previous two Citigos , just received email stating no , it’s £169 .

just what do they do for that price ? Can I take it to an independent ?

when I purchased my shiney mark two 7 miles on the clock car, there was no mention that servicing wasn’t free as it had been before , feeling a tad aggrieved. It’s bad enough the road tax is now £140 per year and not £20 .....bloody government.

Edited by Wilbour3

Hi Wilbour3,

Sounds to me as if it's your "Stealer" trying to rob (& rape) you with/without menaces.

I'm now on my second Citigo SE-L, in 2-3 years, as I think that they're fantastic little cars, & I too shelled out mega bucks for the 1st service (which was no more than an oil & Filter change - together with perhaps 5 seconds ' worth of work that was unrelated & totally irrelevant rhubarb) & as the 2nd Service was going to be even more expensive (around £150+) I went to a garage that I trust for that service - which was basically also just another dose of new oil & the filter, and it cost me around £70.

I've just exchanged my previous SE-L for another one, but this time, the Stealer (sharks to a man, in my opinion) threw in the first 2 Services as part of the deal - so I will use them, although I don't trust them.

If you're only doing an annual mileage of around 6-7k (which is also what I tend to do) then having the oil & filter changed each year is all that you're likely to need.      Our No. 1 son also had a new Citigo (on my recommendation) which is now coming up to 4 years old, &  he has done somewhere in the region of 17+k.    He too used the same garage as me at each Service (again just oil & filter) at years' 1,2 & 3, + the MOT at year 3 (which the car sailed through) & he's not needed any work to the brakes , air con or indeed anything else.

Using an "independent" is not going to affect your Warranty, as Skoda only stipulate using oil & Filter (& HTF do you check the oil) to their specifications, to validate their Warranty.   In any case, if you browse through Briskoda, you will see that some Dealers tend to use various types of oil, and some of the more enlightened & customer-friendly Dealers even chuck a pint of new oil in the boot when handing the car over - and this tends to be of differing brands - albeit very good quality mineral oil.

My advice would be to tell the Stealer to take a running poke at a rolling doughnut: go to private garage that you trust: have just the oil & Filter renewed with perhaps a "check-over" (although it's highly unlikely that you'll need anything doing - which you probably know full well, as you're now on your 3rd Citigo, & check out all other Stealers in your vicinity for faint indications that they want to please the customer as much as they want to stick their hands (up to the elbows) in your pockets.   There's some info from owners on Briskoda who have Citigo's that have done mega mileage (over 100k) in some cases, & there doesn't seem to be any of the usual horror stories about their reliability.   Keep us posted though, please.

6 minutes ago, Michaelski said:

If you're only doing an annual mileage of around 6-7k (which is also what I tend to do) then having the oil & filter changed each year is all that you're likely to need.      Our No. 1 son also had a new Citigo (on my recommendation) which is now coming up to 4 years old, &  he has done somewhere in the region of 17+k.    He too used the same garage as me at each Service (again just oil & filter) at years' 1,2 & 3, + the MOT at year 3 (which the car sailed through) & he's not needed any work to the brakes , air con or indeed anything else.

I’d make sure you get your brake fluid changed after 3 years from new then every 2 years thereafter... as it absorbs water over time therefore making them less efficient, i.e increasing braking distances, pedal travel etc. 

Our Citigo service was around the same price (somewhere between £160-170) however it was a 2nd year service. Filters, screenwash, oil and filter. Plus handbrake tightened and brake pedal seemed improved. Also did a recall check and found that the tow eye wanted replacing due to threads. 

12 minutes ago, Jonny118118 said:

I’d make sure you get your brake fluid changed after 3 years from new then every 2 years thereafter... as it absorbs water over time therefore making them less efficient, i.e increasing braking distances, pedal travel etc. 

Our Citigo service was around the same price (somewhere between £160-170) however it was a 2nd year service. Filters, screenwash, oil and filter. Plus handbrake tightened and brake pedal seemed improved. Also did a recall check and found that the tow eye wanted replacing due to threads. 

I only keep my new cars for between 2-3 years, so changing the brake fluid/discs/drums/pads usw isn't likely to be an issue.   And irrespective of what Skoda say "should" be attended to on the 1st Service (or what the Stealers give the impression will be done)  I KNOW that on my first Service (confirmed by the Stealer), ONLY the oil & Filter were changed.  But there was no need to sic "top up the screenwash (at around £1 a throw) as I always keep mine topped up.

Perhaps you patronise a more-reputable Stealer - but my previous one, was anything but.  Most of them are scrabbling for major profits with minimum outlay - the poor old customer seems to be always sucking on the rearmost teat.

Edited by Michaelski

8 minutes ago, Jonny118118 said:

Yes it can and does absorb water, but no it doesn't make it less efficient (water is incompressible) so won't normally increase braking distances etc.

What it will do is increase the chance of internal corrosion, leading to sticky brake/clutch pistons and possible ABS,ESP,HBA etc problems/failure. It also lowers the boiling point so increases the chance of vapour lock (where you can lose all braking when brakes are stinking hot)

• Like 1

It is £169 for a Minor Service on a Fixed Service Regime on the offers 3-10 year old cars.

a 1st Minor Service at 1 year can be cheaper, ask what they are doing for the £169.

If just Oil & Filter, sump plug and a look see and report ask for a better price.  Or go to someplace else.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

45 minutes ago, Offski said:

It is £169 for a Minor Service on a Fixed Service Regime on the offers 3-10 year old cars.

a 1st Minor Service at 1 year can be cheaper, ask what they are doing for the £169.

If just Oil & Filter, sump plug and a look see and report ask for a better price.  Or go to someplace else.

Going "somewhere else" is what I did, & what I will continue to do.   Plus I am not going to return to that particular Stealer, he's totally blown it as far as I'm concerned.    Still love the Citigo, but even if it means travelling some 40+-odd miles, I won't be getting my next car from that particular penny-pinching, money-grubbing, speaking-with-forke`d tongue, bunch of disreputable shysters!!!  There's got to be some customer-friendly people "somewhere" out there.

Most manufacturers recommend 2 years so I wonder if VAG recommend 3 years for the first change to attract fleet buyers buying on a 3 year lease. How they can justify this I have no idea.

29 minutes ago, nbramwel said:

If the original brake fluid is good for 3 years, why does it need replacing every 2 years thereafter?  Another money making ploy from manufacturers?

Reality is that the fluid is not simply drained and refilled rather its bled through with new fluid. New fluid mixes with the old, not all the old fluid, in the abs block and clutch slave cylinder for instance is flushed out. Some garages may even use less than the total capacity.

It's akin to cleaning a bucket full of dirty water simply by pouring some clean water in. The water is cleaner but some contamination remains.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Whilst on this subject I read on one of the car magazine sites (Autocar or What car, something like that) that if on PCP the final value of the car is based on may things but one of those is having the car serviced by Skoda main dealers. In other words if it doesn't have full Skoda history they can subtract £££'s from the final value.

I don't know whether that is true or if anyone has experience of it but it might be something to be wary of if your car is on PCP. If it isn't an issue then definately find a reputable Indy and use them...

5 hours ago, Eltezz said:

Whilst on this subject I read on one of the car magazine sites (Autocar or What car, something like that) that if on PCP the final value of the car is based on may things but one of those is having the car serviced by Skoda main dealers. In other words if it doesn't have full Skoda history they can subtract £££'s from the final value.

I don't know whether that is true or if anyone has experience of it but it might be something to be wary of if your car is on PCP. If it isn't an issue then definately find a reputable Indy and use them...

In my case, that was total rhubarb, Eltezz.    When I checked into the Stealer regarding changing onto a new PCP (& therefore a brand new car sale for them) the dipstick salesman with whom I was dealing, did not even bother to look at the previous car (I could have rolled up on a pogo stick for all the interest he  took - & a bent, battered & buggered one at that) -  he didn't even bother to check if I'd left the PID in the car, just asked me, & took my word for it.

As far as the trade-in value was concerned, there was no questions of what condition the car was in, or where or even if I'd had the Servicing etc carried out, and as for the trade-in price, he simply offered me the GFV - which I was stoopid enough to accept without challenge - I've learned a little more sense since then, which is why I won't be buying any more cars from that particular bunch of shysters .   I genuinely believe that, despite their self-serving claims,  "most" Stealer/Dealers are only interested in how many sales they turn over, & everything else is academic.      Before they flog the car on to another member of the gullible public (& mine was offered at around £1,000 more than they offered me) they may get "some" form of a Service, & tarted up a little, to make them appear attractive.    Whether the engine/clutch/brakes etc has been really abused from day 1, they have no means of telling & care less anyway - providing some "mug" somewhere buys it, that's the limit of their interest.  

Ok, I'm not sure that answers it fully as my understanding was that some PCP's can stipulate that all servicing is only carried out by a main dealer. I guess if an individual's PCP doesn't mention anything then as long as it's done on time they obviously don't care when the car is returned.

Just the Servicing that needs doing.

So on a 2 year old car that can be 2 oil and filter changes and a pollen filter.

& if returned before 3 years, nit even the 3rd Oil & Filter change, or brake fluid.

Oil & Filter @ 1 or 2years should not cost £169 each time or £169 & £279 on a UpMiiCitigo.   So Dealerships should stop the greed.

The cars are under Manufacturers Warranty.  The rear wheels and drums are not coming off, nothing is but a Sump Plug if it is and an Oil Filter.

£99 each Service / Inspection should be more than enough for profits. & no Upselling needed.

£99 is seemingly enough on bigger cars with more Oil capacity.

Edited by Offski

Thanks to all for your input , lots of ideas now . Have also rang three other dealers and have been quoted lower prices so who knows what planet my dealer is on . 

Will check my pcp paperwork to see what is stipulated and take it from there although when looking at my main service book ,the dealer never filled in anything when I purchased the car although I suppose tis all on thee inter web now .