Test drove a rapid today

Hello rapid owners. 

So today I test drove a 2017 plate rapid space back 1.0tsi se sport with the glass roof. 

I absolutely loved it. Now I'm stuck between a rock and a heart place.

I'm 25 years old me and my girlfriend are literally in the final stages of buying a house and I'm tempted to go out and buy a car. We both have good jobs and no student loan due to not going to university and instead focusing on careers. Either way I we can easily afford it but I don't not how I can explain it to my partner. Either way my current 2.0 MK2 2005 is my life. I love it. Just had the timing belt changed the heated seats still work and the only thing that died this summer due to hear was the compressor on the air con. Sucked. 

Either way my local dealer where I also go and my family have always done gave me a great trade in price for the rapid I wanted. Thought you might like to hear my sorry. I'm new here, either way I will update as I go. 

Seconded - don't get any car finance yet otherwise it may(probably will) scupper any chance of buying a house. Get the house first and consider later after you've paid a few months mortgage. I know people who are desperately trying to get out of a car PCP just to be able to buy a house - the affordability criteria are very strict these days.

Avoid anything new on your credit history.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Yeah, a buddy was unable to obtain a mortgage soon after committing to 20k+ of loan on a car. Couldn't stomach the loss on selling the brand new car so it delayed his house purchase years.

Edited by camelspyyder

Guaranteed when you move into the house there will be some sort of additional expenses, changes you want to make, some utility or insurance costs that you forgot to put in your costings, or just additional furniture.

You are about to make a huge financial commitment with your girlfriend that suggests your relationship is a bit more than a fling.

You have got to involve her in any major decision such as  new car purchase otherwise there will just be recriminations and a total loss of trust.

Seriously it is just a car.

Think how you would feel if the situation was reversed and she did not tell you.

2019 is going to be the best probably for new and nearly new cars, Demonstrators, Pre Reg and used / ex lease.

The dealership are sitting with so many cars and so many going through the auctions they need to get real.

Finance as well.

Buy cars that most do not want and you can get real bargains, ie SEAT, Skoda.

• Like 1

I've just joined this forum having just bought my first Skoda (Rapid Spaceback) having always driven VW and Seat (anyone want to buy my Altea 2.0TDI ;)). Just wanted to say after reading all the advice offered on this thread that it is nice to see people sharing common sense. Good to know I'll be surrounded by sensible people. 

• Like 2

I was in the same situation and I was thinking of buying an Austin Allegro Sports. The purchase price of the car equalled the cash deposit of a maisonette I was thinking of buying. I thought hard and cancelled the car and bought the maisonette. Two years later I bought a house. Property every time, ditch the car.

Edited by edbostan
  • Haha 1