Fabia Mrk III Locking wheel nut key

Hey everyone. Would anyone have any idea where I can purchase a replacement locking wheel nut key please? I left mine on the side of the road last week after fitting the spare wheel due to a puncture! 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

20181005_203002.jpg

I bought one, from the same range as that on ebay, as back up for my car, to have in the garage - and it was a reasonable price!

Once you have found where they are in ebay you should find a choice, though as most things, they only appear now and again.

17 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

I bought one, from the same range as that on ebay, as back up for my car, to have in the garage - and it was a reasonable price!

Once you have found where they are in ebay you should find a choice, though as most things, they only appear now and again.

That's great. Would you happen to have a link please?

Am I missing something? How can you buy a locking wheel nut key from ebay etc. when you need the code from the key to buy one from a VW dealer? The items on ebay are all four bolts and the correct key for those bolts.

Also, how do you remove the wheel bolts if you've lost the key?  

20 hours ago, rum4mo said:

I bought one, from the same range as that on ebay, as back up for my car, to have in the garage

I always suggest that you keep both in the car, but in different places, as you will only need the second one when you are out and miles away from home. ( sod's law )

One in the boot and one in he glove box is the way to go.

Thanks AG Falco

4 hours ago, bertJ said:

Am I missing something? How can you buy a locking wheel nut key from ebay etc. when you need the code from the key to buy one from a VW dealer? The items on ebay are all four bolts and the correct key for those bolts.

Also, how do you remove the wheel bolts if you've lost the key?  

The plan was to use that link as a starting point, normally there are partial sets being sold off and you can use the photos of these sets to work out which key code you you need, that is what I did, though finding a match for my 2011 Audi S4 was easier than finding one for my wife’s 2015 VW Polo as they seemed to change the code options. The one the OP has is like my S4, an older style so more likely to be bought via eBay.

new bolt kits is not what the OP needs - yet!

I’ll offer this advice yet again, when you buy a new car, record things like security wheel bolt code as it can come in handy.

Ive found that these keys can have a couple of coding options as more than one car group use them, but they are the same shape so fit.

34 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

I always suggest that you keep both in the car, but in different places, as you will only need the second one when you are out and miles away from home. ( sod's law )

One in the boot and one in he glove box is the way to go.

Thanks AG Falco

I will stick with my plan, and you can stick with your one.

My logic is, these keys will be typically be misplaced or lost at one of 2 places for someone that does their own servicing of their car - so that means either it gets left in my garage, or lost at the side of the road after an unplanned wheel change, so my plan suits me.

• Like 1

An simple idea would be to take a note of the letter stamped on the key and write it down somewhere safe like your manual. Or keep a photo in your phone

Key code A

s-l640.jpg.3f3c40d568a8e3397ac8b393e94ea812.jpg

342933900_s-l640(1).jpg.98c0af0608bb77cfa49a4b99310048bb.jpg

The OP appears to have a Key code X

1869739015_s-l640(2).jpg.6b659a4a3a0eabdc2c81f28d54a2013f.jpg

1983068121_s-l640(3).jpg.a7a5595426d39258fd79c8f1931ed78c.jpg

Edited by xman

I was going to say that my "5 lob" security key was E, but that A one has "rounded" lobs and my key has "squared" lobs, so to the OP make sure that you can spot the difference if the code letter is not quoted.

16 hours ago, xman said:

An simple idea would be to take a note of the letter stamped on the key and write it down somewhere safe like your manual. Or keep a photo in your phone

Key code A

The OP appears to have a Key code X

1869739015_s-l640(2).jpg.6b659a4a3a0eabdc2c81f28d54a2013f.jpg

1983068121_s-l640(3).jpg.a7a5595426d39258fd79c8f1931ed78c.jpg

I'm not certain the OP's bolt is an X, his bolt appears to be totally symmetrical, whereas the X I've got isn't

WP_20181007_12_00_57_Pro.jpg

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

So you are saying that while it looks symmetrical, it will only fit 1 or 2 ways - and not 6 ways?

No, I think it will fit in any position whereas the X one will only fit one way.

On 06/10/2018 at 18:42, rum4mo said:

I will stick with my plan, and you can stick with your one.

My plan is/was day one buy new car and drive it home.

Day two remove locking wheel bolts and replace with normal bolts and new plastic covers.

Now I have nothing to break or loose.

On 07/10/2018 at 12:47, peter3197 said:

will only fit one way

It is not uncommon to find the locking wheel bolt keys only fit in one place.

Thanks AG Falco

Hey everyone. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I ended up finding a website which were able to match my locking nut key from the picture above and have despatched it in the post to me. I needed to provide proof of ownership of the vehicle and identification. Although it did cost overall an eye watering £43. Safe to say that I won't be leaving this new locking wheel nut key on the side of the road again.

If you're curious, this was the website:

http://www.lwnk.co.uk/

Once again. Thank you all.

Good result, I note that they recommend “last in first out” which is what I have always done!

Edit:- I know that your cunning plan is to never ever lose this new bolt key, but it would be very handy to use that bolt key to remove a single security bolt, then clean up its lower end and check what it’s Skoda reference is, ie the letter stamped into its lower end - then record it!

Maybe also get back to us and let us know which code it is just in case someone else ends up in the same position?

Edited by rum4mo