yeti 1.2 winter tyres?

pip001

hi,after coming from a 4x4 for the last five years we found the 1.2 yeti truely awful in the winter conditions.it very hilly where we live and i think the light engine really didnt help with the traction.heading into this winter we are either going to change the yeti or try it on winter tyres.has anyone with a 1.2 ran it through a snowy winter and how did it cope especially up hills.

thanks for the help.

You will find a huge difference if you switch to winter tyres, its like night and day. I had Nokian WR D3's on my first Yeti, but any half decent brand of winter tyre will be superior to summer tyres.

Yes, I have a 1.2 Yeti and with winter tyres it a go-anywhere (within reason) car in the winter. If your current tyres are due for replacement then consider changing to Michelin Cross Climates, reputedly they give a quiet comfortable ride as well as being excellent winter & summer tyres. Otherwise invest in some steel wheels with any winter tyres from a reputable maker and change them over twice a year. I change to winter tyres end of October and back to summer tyres end of March, however when current tyres are worn I will convert to Cross Climates and sell the winter tyre/wheels.

I have just bought a set of winter tyres on steel wheels from MrWinterWheels.co.uk.

Excellent and quick service.

You can pick the make of tyres from a selection on the website, and they are supplied on the correct 16", 7J hub.

Beware of the tyres on Ebay. A lot come on 6J or 6.5J wheels and as far as I know these are too narrow and hence not approved for Yeti, even though they would fit.

Just waiting for temperature to drop before fitting.

Can't see the point of a second set of alloys where they cost at least twice that of steel wheels. Now I can store my alloys over winter and avoid salt damage, and it will extend the life of my summer tyres.

Never had a car with winter tyres before. looking forward to trying them out and seeing how much more grip there is.

I ran my wifes 1.2 Yeti last winter on my old Superb alloys with Nokian Weatherproof winters. It got me through some really serious white stuff when I had to go down to Ludlow despite a red weather warning.

For sale now but not sure if I can link ad on here.

As above, try Michelin CrossClimates - saves changing & storing wheels. Good wear characteristics as well as quiet & comfortable. I've done 40,000 miles on mine. 

What size Cross climates are recommended as there's no 17" 225/50/17 listed? (this might have been answered on here a million times already, but this is my first winter with my Yeti)

Edited by z1ppy
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, z1ppy said:

What size Cross climates are recommended as there's no 17" 225/50/17 listed? (this might have been answered on here a million times already, but this is my first winter with my Yeti)

I don't know where you are looking, but I can find them listed on several suppliers sites.

Hmm it seems black circle website is being wierd on my iPad, the sponsored ad pages won’t display the information but a ‘normal’ link further down the search results page does. How bizarre, cheers.