How to use oil extraction pump properly?

KBPhoto

Can u remember when..........stick a bowl under the sump,drain oil,remove filter ,top up filter with oil,fit sump plug (and washer)refill with fresh oil..........job done no more fannying around,job done.FFS,not launching a rocket into space JUST a simple oil change.

• Like 1

Doh! Silly me,I was reliving my youth,no service indicators ,no maxidot ,get in drive ,change oil laying on back every 12 months with duck hams,f##khams.

• Haha 2

On 18/10/2018 at 22:53, Llanigraham said:

Is the suction tube a solid one or a flexible?
I have heard of people having problems using a flexible one, whereas a solid one follows the line of the dip stick.

It is a plastic pipe that is fairly rigid when cold, but easily becomes softer and more pliable with hot oil in it. However, it does not compress when pushed fairly hard at the bottom end of the dipstick tube.

On 18/10/2018 at 23:30, Sad555 said:

Can u remember when..........stick a bowl under the sump,drain oil,remove filter ,top up filter with oil,fit sump plug (and washer)refill with fresh oil..........job done no more fannying around,job done.FFS,not launching a rocket into space JUST a simple oil change.

FFS I wish people would stick to answering the OP's questions as opposed to belittling someone you have never met! (This negative attitude was one of the reasons why I stopped using this forum a couple of years back!)

As my question is about using an extraction pump which, from your comments, you do not do and have no experience of in order to offer a sensible suggestion to address the question, please stop 'fanning around' and wasting your own time.

For the record, I can do an oil change from the sump plug, change the filters, prime the pump reset the service interval, etc. On this occasion I was not able to and hoped to get more oil from the extraction pump alone.

• Sad 1

I asked my dealer if it is sucked or drained. He said, "always drained, sir." so I believed him and at every service a washer cost was added to the invoice. Also, according to the specification my sump contains 3.6 litres so why have I always been charged for 3.9 litres?

Edited by edbostan
  • Like 1

On 16/10/2018 at 19:00, KBPhoto said:

Or should I just accept that I can’t and drain via the sump plug every time?

Any helpful suggestions or questions about my technique appreciated.

44 minutes ago, KBPhoto said:

FFS I wish people would stick to answering the OP's questions as opposed to belittling someone you have never met! (This negative attitude was one of the reasons why I stopped using this forum a couple of years back!)

As my question is about using an extraction pump which, from your comments, you do not do and have no experience of in order to offer a sensible suggestion to address the question, please stop 'fanning around' and wasting your own time.

For the record, I can do an oil change from the sump plug, change the filters, prime the pump reset the service interval, etc. On this occasion I was not able to and hoped to get more oil from the extraction pump alone.

Well I think people have given their honest opinions and suggestions. Nothing about belittling anyone. And I think most also have much experience draining oil. If you cannot accept how this forum is, with the odd joke and banter that's your prerogative. 

My advice is to drain with the plug as you initially asked

None of us are being paid to give you advice, neither do we accept any liability for advice given.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KBPhoto said:

FFS I wish people would stick to answering the OP's questions as opposed to belittling someone

You'll always get a mixture of helpful and less helpful.

BTW, in an earlier post of mine I made reference to the angle of the engine in the engine bay, relating to where the oil would tend to be deepest in the sump.

I had a mental image of an engine leaning backwards at the top slightly, but having just been under my bonnet, I note that mine - albeit a completely different engine in a completely different car - leans the other way, top forward of bottom, by a fair bit.

Which way does yours lean?

24 minutes ago, edbostan said:

Also, according to the specification my sump contains 3.6 litres so why have I always been charged for 3.9 litres?

Prior to late 2012 1.2 tsi engines have a service fill of 3.6 litres, after they secretly redesigned it to stop chains failing the service fill increased to 3.9 litres.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wino said:

You'll always get a mixture of helpful and less helpful.

I know - but it's still sad when the comments add nothing to the actual question and use language that is necessary.

12 minutes ago, Wino said:

BTW, in an earlier post of mine I made reference to the angle of the engine in the engine bay, relating to where the oil would tend to be deepest in the sump.

I had a mental image of an engine leaning backwards at the top slightly, but having just been under my bonnet, I note that mine - albeit a completely different engine in a completely different car - leans the other way, top forward of bottom, by a fair bit.

Which way does yours lean?

I've just been to have look and I'm not sure. It looks like it may be leaning towards the rear of the car, but I'm not certain.

Just now, KBPhoto said:

I've just been to have look and I'm not sure. It looks like it may be leaning towards the rear of the car, but I'm not certain.

Probably more or less upright then.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier; if you do try suctioning with the back end up on ramps, bear in mind that when you refill with fresh oil, the dipstick will not give a good indication of oil level at that attitude. Refill by the amount withdrawn minus a tad, then top up to max once the car is back on the level.

7 hours ago, KBPhoto said:

FFS I wish people would stick to answering the OP's questions as opposed to belittling someone you have never met! (This negative attitude was one of the reasons why I stopped using this forum a couple of years back!)

As my question is about using an extraction pump which, from your comments, you do not do and have no experience of in order to offer a sensible suggestion to address the question, please stop 'fanning around' and wasting your own time.

For the record, I can do an oil change from the sump plug, change the filters, prime the pump reset the service interval, etc. On this occasion I was not able to and hoped to get more oil from the extraction pump alone.

I was only reminiscing about how oil changes were done  to save the expense  of a garage ,if you want to suck it out enjoy but don’t be so touchy .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Wino said:

Probably more or less upright then.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier; if you do try suctioning with the back end up on ramps, bear in mind that when you refill with fresh oil, the dipstick will not give a good indication of oil level at that attitude. Refill by the amount withdrawn minus a tad, then top up to max once the car is back on the level.

Thanks for the reminder. Next oil change I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I'll also try a stiffer tube down the dipstick to see if that helps.

• Like 1

I've tried both methods, and ended up back where I started, using the sump plug. It really is the best way to ensure all the oil is drained.

It might be just me but the thought of leaving old oil in the engine isn't something I like the idea of.

The pump I have wasn't all that fast either, so the extra time needed to jack the car up, remove the undertray and drop the oil from underneath isn't all that more effort.

A Pela 6000 on my Octavia Scout...

IMG_8415.thumb.JPG.98fb99efc9a0190e6eb2daa11c76c8ba.JPG

IMG_8419.thumb.JPG.2f3d4490788127e083e1077156ee9bf3.JPG

IMG_8422.thumb.JPG.3fe34fc279604e59e5b8feab12c1bcaf.JPG

You still need to handle the old oil though when pulling the filter off the cap.

Sump plug on my Superb...

9.thumb.JPG.82d5303b284692d749379ef40feb1233.JPG

39.thumb.JPG.e31dbf3317e8cad8e72364cfe851dce2.JPG

The only change I've made of late is to use latex gloves. It's not easy removing the sump plug without getting carcinogenic oil on your hands.

I invested in one of these to minimise the chances of the used oil contaminating my skin or the driveway, it makes getting the oil to the tip easier too (FloTool)...

91zpBUQREyL._SX425_.jpg.b015e9d2b3814ee854c94962d5b1f807.jpg

None of this anymore...

79.thumb.JPG.ae7e97d5023f39e8eb7ac82054063e44.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Interested to know Skoffski if you get much oil out of the sump after using a pump.

In my previous Citroen owning days I always drained oil via the sump plug  ( this was pre engine undercover days ) & was toying with using a pump which I thought wouldn't be as effective.

So after pumping out the oil, I removed the sump plug to find nothing extra came out.

Since then I only use a pump.

By the way, my electric pump is an old roller cell type fuel pump off a petrol car from a breakers.

It is a similar design to that used as the second fuel pump on the CR diesels between the filter & HP pump.

I use a cycle outer bowden cable that slips down the dipstick tube as a suction tube, nice & flexible but being a small diameter does take about 15mins to suck all the oil out.

Pumping can have other advantages too.

I changed the oil on my wifes Passat with CBAB engine yesterday.

Once the oil filter is removed you can put the suction pipe down the hole at the bottom of the filter housing & suck more oil out which I think comes from the oil cooler below.

Maybee 100ml or a bit more.

That would still be in there with just the sump plug removed.

On my Superb with CBBF engine, the filter is a different design with no access to any extra deposits of oil.