Rear wiper not squirting water.

I’ve not been on or posted for a while due to work and being on holiday. However I need some honest help and couldn’t think of anywhere better to come.

A while ago I changed my rear windscreen wiper, folllowing all the instructions, and the water then wasn’t as powerful but working. 

Thinking (and this is how useless I am with cars) I could sort this out I removed the rear wiper checked to see if there was anything blocking the water coming out, couldn’t so refitted the wiper. Now there’s no water coming out at all and I’m stuck. There’s plenty of water in the water tank and the front wipers are working fine. 

I did do a search and couldn’t find an answer (or missed it). Can anybody help? 

Thank you.

Ste.

10 minutes ago, Jonny118118 said:

As you’ve already stated I’d be checking the nozzle isn’t clogged.

Do you still get a noise as if it’s trying to pull the liquid through? 

Do you use water only or is it screenwash you’re using?

Yeah Jonny there’s still a noise as if it’s trying to pull the liquid through. 

I will check the nozzle again, oh and it’s screen wash with anti-freeze added. 

6 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Nozzle blocking is common, take the nozzle off and see if you get a jet stream of screenwash. I had to replace mine last year.

Cheers ahenners! I’ll give it a try. 

Stupid question is taking the nozzle off the same as taking the wiper blade off? 

@64vrs I did mine a couple of weeks ago, its straight forward. The circular bit at the bottom on the wiper arm is just a cap, with some gentle prising it will lift and rotate towards the back end. Under there you will find the nozzle. This also pulls off but it may be tight. Use a pair of pliers with a cloth if it wont come off. To clear ths nozzle is not easy, its very fine! I soaked mine in everything from rubbing alcohol. Oven cleaner, washing up liquid, boiling water etc. In the end I cut a bristle off a broom and that was a great size to poke through and clear. If you struggle let me know and I'll take some photos for you

• Like 1

As above to remove it's fairly straightforward to remove.  If you plan to clean it up, just be careful it doesn't ping off like mine did as it's on quite tight. Landed in a bush next to where I was parked never to be found again! It's only about a fiver for a new nozzle so don't worry if you can't unblock it or it gets lost :)

Don't even need to take nozzle off. Just use a sewing pin to poke in the nozzle holes (there are 2). The pin should go in quite a way so if feeling resistance early on then push it through as that is the blockage. You might find after that the jet is not going where it needs to as the the nozzle balls (for want of a better word/description) can be knocked out of line when pushing the pin about but you can readjust again with said pin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExSEAT said:

@64vrs I did mine a couple of weeks ago, its straight forward. The circular bit at the bottom on the wiper arm is just a cap, with some gentle prising it will lift and rotate towards the back end. Under there you will find the nozzle. This also pulls off but it may be tight. Use a pair of pliers with a cloth if it wont come off. To clear ths nozzle is not easy, its very fine! I soaked mine in everything from rubbing alcohol. Oven cleaner, washing up liquid, boiling water etc. In the end I cut a bristle off a broom and that was a great size to poke through and clear. If you struggle let me know and I'll take some photos for you

Wow sounds complicated, as stated before I’m useless with cars but trying to learn. Would it be too much work to stick a photo or 2 on? 

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

As above to remove it's fairly straightforward to remove.  If you plan to clean it up, just be careful it doesn't ping off like mine did as it's on quite tight. Landed in a bush next to where I was parked never to be found again! It's only about a fiver for a new nozzle so don't worry if you can't unblock it or it gets lost :)

Glad they're not too expensive. This is part of my problem, messing up stuff that’s expensive to fix. I’ll be looking out for the ping off. 

1 hour ago, hatchy said:

Don't even need to take nozzle off. Just use a sewing pin to poke in the nozzle holes (there are 2). The pin should go in quite a way so if feeling resistance early on then push it through as that is the blockage. You might find after that the jet is not going where it needs to as the the nozzle balls (for want of a better word/description) can be knocked out of line when pushing the pin about but you can readjust again with said pin.

Thank you for the reply. Good to know about the nozzle balls :D and them needing to be adjusted when they’ve been cleaned/unblocked and that there’s 2 holes. 

Hi again @64VRS

The cap lifts up by the round section, gently pull upwards towards the wiper arm and gently splay the plastic a little. It will hinge on the bit you can see. Once its up the nozzles are in one piece but are pushed on, theres a hexagonal piece under it that doesnt move. You may need pliers and some cloth to stop you damaging it. Reversal is pushing the nozzles on and then simply pushing the cover back into place, taking care the hinge bit is correctly aligned.

20181025_204709.jpg

20181025_204733.jpg

4 hours ago, Oldmansomerset said:

Just a thought, wondered if there is an air lock in the pipe from the reservoir as it has to travel quite a distance.  If poss blow it through or give it a suck.  Ugh sorry

If you take off the nozzle and try to blow through it even when it is clear you will see why thats probably not going to be much use, the holes are absolutely tiny and you'll pass out before you get much air through them!!Must be a decent bit of water pressure to get it to fire! Those nozzles will defo be blocked!!

42 minutes ago, Stewart7 said:

Could a pipe be disconnected somewhere inside the car, and the water collecting in the spare wheel well for instance?

That has been known to happen, easy way to know is to lift that cap up in the photo and pry off the nozzle. You can then activate the wash and see of the water comes out, much easier than stripping the hatch panels down. I was petrified that my pipe had come off, but was happy to find two very boocked nozzles!