Hill Hold VCDS

clarky2

On 27/10/2018 at 07:55, langers2k said:

Depends on the abs module fitted.

Can you post an autoscan?

Thanks for the reply. I don't personally have VCDS (I presume this is needed for the auto scan) so my next question would have been whether any members with the right equipment were in the area! My car is a manual 2017 1.2 petrol SE Drive.

1 hour ago, clarky2 said:

Thanks for the reply. I don't personally have VCDS (I presume this is needed for the auto scan) so my next question would have been whether any members with the right equipment were in the area! My car is a manual 2017 1.2 petrol SE Drive.

There is a list of VCDS owners in the relevant section elsewhere on this Forum.

Pretty sure 1K0 614 517 AS is the pump rather than the electronic control module. It might be connected to a 1K0 907 379 AH module which doesn't support HHC. A VCDS autoscan would confirm it.

There are plenty of choices in this post:

35 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Pretty sure 1K0 614 517 AS is the pump rather than the electronic control module. It might be connected to a 1K0 907 379 AH module which doesn't support HHC. A VCDS autoscan would confirm it.

It is the pump. 

I will make a scan with vcds

On 04/11/2018 at 14:08, langers2k said:

I have indeed the 1K0 907 379 AH module. 

Can i replace this with a 1K0 907 379 AJ module? And leave the pump intact ?

I would expect the 1K0 907 379 AJ version to be fine.

No idea if you can reuse the pump unfortunately.

Just make sure you know the lcode and have an adaption map for the ABS pump before doing any work...

On 03/11/2018 at 14:43, clarky2 said:

I have VCDS.  Do you live anywhere near to Little Paxton?

The ability to enable Hill-hold has just popped on the latest version of Carista (v 3.7.1)

I'm yet to enable it on my 2014 4x4 TDi Yeti, but thought I'd mention it, given how relatively inexpensive this is (compared with VCDS).

On 05/11/2018 at 19:14, pinkpanther said:

The ability to enable Hill-hold has just popped on the latest version of Carista (v 3.7.1)

Thanks for that info. I have just now successfully enabled hill hold via my carista app on my 2016 Yeti Monte Carlo. This was one of the features I missed most from my previous 2011 Yeti Elegance.

Edited by Yetiflute

I'll readily admit to being a dinosaur as regards some aspects of modern cars, namely; the TT has auto-dipping headlights - I don't use that function, I turn the stop/start off on the Yeti and don't make use of the hill hold. In fact, not long after picking up the car and dropping off my son at a friend's house where the road was on a slope and wanted to roll back in neutral past the junction and wondered what the hell was going on when the car wouldn't move! Of course the salesman hadn't bothered to explain this function on handover!

I suppose I should really get to grips with this technology after 3 plus years :) but to be honest with the Yeti and TT having proper handbrakes I really wouldn't be bothered if I didn't have hill hold - depends on what journeys you do I suppose. Had electronic parking brakes on my Passats - worked well on the DSG but I hated it with the manual.

There is one place on my run to work where the hill hold would be useful, quite a long, not too steep approach to a junction. I've had half-hearted attempts at using the hill hold but sometimes the car has rolled back and as I'm usually in traffic I don't trust it and prefer to use the hand brake. I guess as I'm only braking gently I'm not pressing the brake peddle hard enough to activate it? If so that's part of my resistance to using it, I don't know if it's engaged or not. I'll have to have another look at the handbook.  

Remember that HHC only holds the brake on for a few seconds.

I had a slightly different experience with HHC on my 140 4x4.  On my route home there was quite a steep hill with a traffic light controlled junction at the top.  More than once I got caught out by braking to a stop, putting the car in neutral and putting the handbrake on - only to find the car rolling slowly backwards a few seconds later, because the HHC had disguised the fact that I hadn't put the handbrake on quite hard enough.

I found HHC was also a bit of a pain when reversing back on to my steepish drive.

If I had known an easy way to turn it off, I would have done!

It does seem to be more less intrusive - possibly even actually useful - on DSG equipped vehicles like my current 150 4x4 (or maybe I just got used to it over time on the 140).

(On my Subaru the hill hold system actually dropped a pawl in to something on the output side of the gearbox.  That stayed put until you put the clutch in to take the 'box out of neutral.  Seemed to be much more intuitive than the VAG system.)

Edited by ejstubbs

I was quite happy with hill hold in manual Yetis. To the extent that I often forgot to use the handbrake in my wifes car!

As above you have to be quick though such that the clutch is biting and taking up the weight of the car before the brake releases enough to start to roll back.

I can imagine some drivers would not get used to this. EG when using the brake you can feel the clutch biting and the car wanting to go before you physically release the handbrake.

In my current DSG it would be impossible really to drive without it.

My dsg test drive was in a Monte Carlo dsg and that either had no hill hold or it wasnt working. Trying to hold the car on the handbrake whilst applying power via the dsg just didn't work.

Some of this tech is a good idea and can work well most of the time, it's those more demanding situations, like your drive, that it tends to fall down.

BiL also had a manual Passat with the electronic handbrake and he recalled the nightmare he had once when parallel parking on a steepish hill between two others cars. With a manual handbrake it's a doddle because you can finely control the amount of hold and roll back at will without using reverse, it's all fully under your control. With the electronic handbrake you had to be in gear and throttle applied - just what you don't want! You could press the button to release the brake but it would just let go, it being either off or on, and could be a little nerve wracking if you hadn't got the clutch on the biting point on a steep hill in the proximity of other vehicles. Mine dropped me in the **** a couple of times as well which is why I hate them with manuals.

It's obvious they were primarily designed for use with autos and do on the whole work well with them.

26 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I was quite happy with hill hold in manual Yetis. To the extent that I often forgot to use the handbrake in my wifes car!

As above you have to be quick though such that the clutch is biting and taking up the weight of the car before the brake releases enough to start to roll back.

I can imagine some drivers would not get used to this. EG when using the brake you can feel the clutch biting and the car wanting to go before you physically release the handbrake.

In my current DSG it would be impossible really to drive without it.

My dsg test drive was in a Monte Carlo dsg and that either had no hill hold or it wasnt working. Trying to hold the car on the handbrake whilst applying power via the dsg just didn't work.

I can appreciate that. A DSG with a manual handbrake is quite a weird combination! The hill hold was I guess only a stop gap measure as you really need an electronic handbrake that only releases when throttle is applied not after a given time! My Passat DSG and A6 Multitronic both had electronic handbrake and auto hold and worked a treat.

Must admit after those two cars I never thought I'd have the joy (with a manual gearbox that is) of having a manual handbrake again but joy of joy both the Yeti and TT have them as does my wife's Cooper S. Doubt the Yeti replacement (Karoq is electronic), whatever it ends up being, will have one hence the need to swing to an auto again.

Edited by VAGCF

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2018 at 09:57, Yetiflute said:

Thanks for that info. I have just now successfully enabled hill hold via my carista app on my 2016 Yeti Monte Carlo. This was one of the features I missed most from my previous 2011 Yeti Elegance.

I've now enabled this and it appears to work on my 2014 TDi 4x4.