EV real world range and cost to charge

xman

This will be why the car is still at the charger this morning.   The DC has had to be disconnected and the charger is still locked in. The drivers door handle is out.   Why it has not been recovered from the bay is anyone's guess.  Likely it will be weeks before the CCS is available again. Maybe months. 

DSC_1040.JPG

DSC_1039.JPG

DSC_1042.JPG

Are you saying that the coiled up lead was part of the charger hub, that the charging failed and as a consequence it is impossible to remove the plug (unless it is powered) so they disconnected the cable from the charging hub and then presumably protected it with the plastic bag?

Yet another joy of EV ownership, if the charger plays up (computer says NO!) then you are dogknotted and have to walk to complete your journey, I have seen plenty of numpties drive off with the petrol pump nozzle still in their filler neck (there are restraining cables and dry break shear couplings) but never known a pump nozzle become dogknotted.

What does the drivers door handle being "out" signify?

• Like 1

also I'm presuming this has happened die to some sort of fault on the vehicle meaning they've had to get someone out to disconnect the cable at the dispenser end.

• Like 1

@Winston_Woof I have a white car and was a car sprayer so let's call it the new colour like on the Lotus EV.  A sort of pale NHS hearing aid colour.     The DC CCS cable has been disconnected from the charger.  The car is still there.  When the car is recovered I wonder where or who it will get left with.   This is the charger that was 6 months out of order waiting on parts.  2 Audi's have been on the AC plugs since early morning.  Just as well there are other AC,s in town at centre car park and train station. There are DC chargers 4 miles and 5 miles away.  Just single ones though. 

3 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@Winston_Woof I have a white car and was a car sprayer so let's call it the new colour like on the Lotus EV.  A sort of pale NHS hearing aid colour.     The DC CCS cable has been disconnected from the charger.  The car is still there.  When the car is recovered I wonder where or who it will get left with.   This is the charger that was 6 months out of order waiting on parts.  2 Audi's have been on the AC plugs since early morning.  Just as well there are other AC,s in town at centre car park and train station. There are DC chargers 4 miles and 5 miles away.  Just single ones though. 

we're both wrong.

According to the DVLA its grey ;o)

image.png.09c9d6526f047e69acd4b07e4487e193.png

• Haha 1

It is not White.  No shade of white. Grey is OK.  With a touch of beige.  I have a bike downstairs virtually the same colour.  And 2 helmets.     It is a solid colour.  I spotted a Jeep Avenger similar today. Just a darker shade of grey to beige.  All about how the light / sky is and the angle of the dangle.  Almost Fawn. 

DSC_1046.JPG

Edited by Rooted

Say what you like.  I say what my eyes see not what yours do.  You might me colour blind, or my camera work is poor.  Going past it soon if still there.     Ps.  Jag i-Pace black 90 kW for sale. 2022 models beige.  That is a few showing as in Belgium. Around mid £40,000,s.     Ps. Ford is Grey. 

DSC_1048.JPG

DSC_1052.JPG

DSC_1051.JPG

DSC_1051.JPG

DSC_1050.JPG

Edited by Rooted

Hardly going to call a car a beige shade of grey are they

Unless maybe in Belgium or Scotland where a spade is a spade.   An the sand is a sand  colour. The sky might be grey. Not today though.

The Jag -Pace Black looks like neither of those Grey,s when you look at the grey cars for sale.

I looked close to see if metallic. not even in the lacquer. it must be the Satin finish. 

DSC_1054.JPG

Screenshot 2024-04-07 3.54.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-07 4.14.35 PM.png

Edited by Rooted

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

Say what you like.  I say what my eyes see not what yours do.  You might me colour blind, or my camera work is poor.  Going past it soon if still there.     Ps.  Jag i-Pace black 90 kW for sale. 2022 models beige.  That is a few showing as in Belgium. Around mid £40,000,s.     Ps. Ford is Grey. 

DSC_1048.JPG

DSC_1052.JPG

DSC_1051.JPG

DSC_1051.JPG

DSC_1050.JPG

chwarea teg, looks more grey than white in these rather than the OG pics :)

Beige is still not a colour that would have sprung to mind though lol

The Alloa Advertiser had an article on First Trials of new home charging.    The channel cut into the pavement thing.   Sorry can not link.  Finished charging and time to go.   Lets go my friends, as an EV evangelist says in his vids.  

As expected, most of the cost is in depreciation. Every other cost (excluding insurance) is minuscule. Same experience for me. 

End of the day, people need to stop think with separate costs: purchase/lease cost and running cost. It's all money spent on motoring, save on 1 side allows more spend on the other. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wyx087 said:

As expected, most of the cost is in depreciation. Every other cost (excluding insurance) is minuscule. Same experience for me. 

End of the day, people need to stop think with separate costs: purchase/lease cost and running cost. It's all money spent on motoring, save on 1 side allows more spend on the other. 

Works out at 43.3p a mile so he would be out of pocket if crosses the 10k business miles a year.

The 45p and 25p per mile over 10k miles is a national disgrace which has been raised in Parliament but when the country is worse than broke what do you do ?

Here we go here we go.  Business users.    Company cars are tools of the trade.  Let's bother about private buyers / drivers and let those driving for work get on with work and overheads.    Too many company cars assisted be tax payers where a big premium car is noy a necessity.  A van might be more useful than Just a status symbol EV supercar  which might be used for no more than commuting to work not anything to do with the business. 

Edited by Rooted

32 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Here we go here we go.  Business users.    Company cars are tools of the trade.  Let's bother about private buyers / drivers and let those driving for work get on with work and overheads.    Too many company cars assisted be tax payers where a big premium car is noy a necessity.  A van might be more useful than Just a status symbol EV supercar  which might be used for no more than commuting to work not anything to do with the business. 

Here we go, here we go, here we go. Many of these Business Users are such people as midwives who got to the point they cannot carry on doing there job as they were increasingly need to subsidize the government trying to run a car on 25p per mile for much of the year.

Actual company cars are quite rare these day unless it is under the government EV salary sacrifice scheme which can be of course a real cost saver for drivers if they take the EV plunge (ie pick a model 3 SR+ TESLA, probably, still under £40k without extras). 

Yes there perks, car allowance etc (all taxed and oft at 40+2 % as part of salary) but te fact the mileage allowance has not gone up in years despite huge inflation in the UK is bad news for public services as well.

Listing to how a business had been able to order a Audi e-tron or Porsche Taycan for hundreds a pound less the equivalent ICE car is irksome but the governments EV salary sacrifice scheme does not have a low enough limit in my opinion so order a Porsche which should be well over £1K a month and paying less around £600 is nice for some but not proper use of government subsidies IMO, give the midwives a mileage rate after 10k miles per year they can live with I reckon.

@lol-lol I know all about the low paid, hard working etc etc.

& the thousands of EV,s the Councils and NHS, Care Companies and others in Scotland have and drivers who do not want to drive them, 

the ones that get to choose cars and want the 'financial leg up to have a Range Rover Evogue' or what ever, not a Peugeot e-208, Niro or whatever. 

There are thousands of EV,s not being used for work, not available for car clubs, loan for the public but the public are funding them, then they get replaced in 3 years virtually unused.

That is not just because of Covid.  

There are some 'Senior Managers, Supervisors, Civil Servants doing no work miles or virtually none and getting mileage allowances for what they do when the Fleet Cars are sitting charged up and they could just take one of those.

Too much kidology going on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

@lol-lol I know all about the low paid, hard working etc etc.

& the thousands of EV,s the Councils and NHS, Care Companies and others in Scotland have and drivers who do not want to drive them, 

the ones that get to choose cars and want the 'financial leg up to have a Range Rover Evogue' or what ever, not a Peugeot e-208, Niro or whatever. 

There are thousands of EV,s not being used for work, not available for car clubs, loan for the public but the public are funding them, then they get replaced in 3 years virtually unused.

That is not just because of Covid.  

There are some 'Senior Managers, Supervisors, Civil Servants doing no work miles or virtually none and getting mileage allowances for what they do when the Fleet Cars are sitting charged up and they could just take one of those.

Too much kidology going on. 

Usually two sides to the coin.

So little deep thinking going on. How best to use an EV.

Thinking of starting an ev charging business. I come around and park close and charge someone's ev. I charge up my batteries in the van on cheap rate lecky and charge it out at higher rate during the day and evening.  Sounds a good business model. They do it in the States but not seem to have caught on here it seems.

• Haha 1

Well there is the facts of the car parks, the chargers and the cars not getting used.

Then other places plenty cars, not enough chargers and cars are not being taken home.

There is spending in a tax year, use it or lose it with councils and then cut backs in the next year.

Places can run car clubs and do and efficiently. 

Councils and local authorities should be the first out of ICE vehicles where appropriate vehicles can be bought or leased.

Government Agencies and contractors next.

Not like Contractors for the likes of Edinburgh City though who have a hopeless charging infrastructure for trades people as well as the general public, residents and visitors, tourists.  That is the Council, no matter how they big up the supposed improvements.     Solar panels and a wind turbine or 3 can be erected and battery storage at many council buildings or head quarters and NHS buildings including hospitals. Vehicle to grid used.    A small health center like in Girvan has a wind turbine and bio-mass. 

Edited by Rooted

16 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Well there is the facts of the car parks, the chargers and the cars not getting used.

Then other places plenty cars, not enough chargers and cars are not being taken home.

There is spending in a tax year, use it or lose it with councils and then cut backs in the next year.

Places can run car clubs and do and efficiently. 

Councils and local authorities should be the first out of ICE vehicles where appropriate vehicles can be bought or leased.

Government Agencies and contractors next.

Not like Contractors for the likes of Edinburgh City though who have a hopeless charging infrastructure for trades people as well as the general public, residents and visitors, tourists.  That is the Council, no matter how they big up the supposed improvements. 

Westminster City Council has invested £20 million in 45 new fully-electric refuse trucks, the vast majority of which will be charged by burning the waste they collect.

• Like 1

Waste incinerators are opposed regularly.   In Dundee the one next to the Michelin tyre factory was always being opposed and the public or some wanted closed down. The Michelin factory had 2 wind turbines.  They are still there.  SWARCO head quarters and the CPS offices are there now.  The Innovation Parc. And where they wanted the Battery manufacturing.  Not near rail or ships.  Well not where it should be 3 miles away at the port.   In Angus the refuse had the methane captured and then generating electricity.    It just needs the use of what there is readily available.   Waste food,waste from agriculture, waste oils, solar, wind, hydro and tide.  Places can do it, others places make no effort.   Coupar Angus in Perth and Kinross had a bio-digester near the Chicken process factory turning waste into gas and they have battery storage there now. Wind farms near, a substation and giant pylons coming soon.   That will all be in place and still the electricity will be over priced for consumers.   Pathetic public charging for EV,s as well other than in Perth.    The last figures I read on Dundee city was 223 of their fleet of vehicle were EV,s and that is 30%. 25% of the licenced taxis in the city are EV,s.  The new council charging hub and solar canopies is impressive.   Angus council need to do more with solar and wind turbines for charging their EV,s and use in buildings.  

Edited by Rooted