Hatchback vs. Estate

Infrequent vs never..... Is there something you wouldn't be able to do if you went for the "smaller" cheaper hatch? (and would the saving outweigh it?)

We went for the estate as we holiday in the car with a toddler and need every inch of space we can get. (used to have a roof box but not with the Superb)

He's still rear-facing at the moment, so the sloped rear window was something we had to think about in terms of shade.

We tend not to load above the cover so we're not obviously tourists, but at the same time if we NEEDED to, then we know we have the option.

TL;DR Whichever suits your situation - you can't really go wrong, they are both huuuuge. :-)

12 hours ago, DjEatch said:

Is there something you wouldn't be able to do if you went for the "smaller" cheaper hatch? (and would the saving outweigh it?)

u do realise the hatch is actually longer than the wagon right?

i have a hatch and i have no regrets.  its still bigger than at least 80% of the large cars, including SUVs.

it swallows everything i need, plus more.

with the wagon, u not only get more height in the boot, u also get more headroom at the rear :)

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

u do realise the hatch is actually longer than the wagon right?

Yeah totally :-) was only referring to boot volume. They are both cavernous. For us the wagon was more suitable, but I prefer the looks of the hatch. 

• Like 1

I've always preferred a hatch as it is better at keeping the contents of the boot in the boot in the case of an accident (can cause serious injury).  With the estate there isn't much to keep everything in place especially if you load above the cover.  

I also prefer the look of a hatch.

• Like 2

Hi,

You can always sell an estate in place of a saloon, but you can't sell a saloon to someone who needs an estate.

Told to me be a car sales person many years ago.

Mayoboat

I prefer estate because of high trunk space. Now there are couple of reasons why I considered replacing mine with hatchback but most were related to price, wind noise (I do believe there is little more wind noise on Estate - ofc at high speeds) and fact that I'm single now. But after all I'm happy I didn't replace it because estate just has really much better storage (not bigger, just easier to use) in back and I still prefer parking car by looking back where window on estate is much more useful. Price difference is small. Also I never purchase cars by the way they look outside. For me that's like 1% of the importance. I bother way too much with the way my car gets dirty now and every single scratch causes pain. I'd prefer worse looking car :D also never ever again Lava Blue. Simply because I care too much about scratches and dirt. If I took white/silver color I wouldn't care as much. 

Oh but my biggest reason for thinking about replacement was DSG. I didn't like DSG's at the time of purchase, but after driving manual 190TDI for year and 35.000Km I just don't like it any more. I miss DSG. Dealer quoted my car for 25K€. I paid 37K. =(

Edited by JackySi

I've always preferred estates due to the nature of my job - last three cars before this one were load luggers. Hatch I have now easily has the biggest boot of the lot of them, and also is bigger than my mate's B6 Passat Estate as far as what we can get in with seats up and shelf in place. I still reckon I'd prefer an estate, and will probably do that in the future... I just reckon I prefer the looks of them too!

On 04/11/2018 at 23:10, nicknorman said:

Personally I prefer the look of the estate.

Same here. The Estate in Sportline trim with the turbine alloys is in my opinion the best looking cars the VW Group has ever made. 

As others have mentioned the hatch's boot is so cavernous that you will unlikely miss the extra utility of the Estate unless you frequently maximise the boot. 

I'm hoping mine will come with the Supernovas.... but i'm not holding my breath. - They were leaked in the MY19 spec, but possibly as FOC option rather than the default.

1 hour ago, DjEatch said:

I'm hoping mine will come with the Supernovas.... but i'm not holding my breath. - They were leaked in the MY19 spec, but possibly as FOC option rather than the default.

In Ireland the Supernovas are currently an option on the Sportline for €1700! I just couldn't justify them at that price.

Supernovas r an accessory item - neither standard nor option in any trim.

They r a nice set of rims.

I wanted a set, but they were asking $3000 for it alone!!!  No thanks.

IMG_3700.thumb.jpg.74e544ca998eeb81d58490d286ead26a.jpg

Estate for me.

3 kids, driving holidays with the boot packed full (sliding lid off).  Roof rails for bike carriers and roof box.

Think both variants look great though.  Some estates are ugly but not on the Superb.

• Like 1