Heated front seats.

NZ100

You should be able to measure the resistance of the elements in the seat with a multi-meter , I'll try and find some pin outs tonight. 

If I were to guess the seats probably draw between 20 and 50 watts so their resistance should be something between 2 and 10 ohms very roughly, and definitely not open circuit or a dead short.

Hi X. I took the chance and ordered a loom to link everything up, will it be easier to check things out when i get it, before i fit the seats. Any idea what sort of size fuse i would need? 

@Tech1e is right, just checked the wiring diagram and its fuse 63, 15 amp. 

The below quote is from the test procedure for the seats and is showing the resistance the heating elements should measure. 

- Specified value approx. 1,2 Ω (not valid for leather seats).
- Specified value approx. 5,7 Ω (only valid for leather seats).

If you have got a picture of the connectors on your seats I should be able to tell you what pins to measure

The two large pins are what actually supply power to the elements but looking at the wiring diagram there is a control module under the seat. On that module there should be a 2 pin connector with wires going to the seat backrest. Unplug this and measure the resistance between the pins. The acceptable values are:

- Specified value approx. 1,2 Ω (not valid for leather seats).
- Specified value approx. 5,7 Ω (only valid for leather seats).

The processes of checking the cushion elements differs if he seats are leather or fabric. 

Leather:

To check the element in the cushion you need to unplug the 8-pin connector on the module and measure between PIN 4 and PIN 7 on that connector. The acceptable values for this measurement are:

- Specified value approx. 7 Ω (only valid for leather seats) .

Fabric:

To check the element in the cushion you need to unplug the 8-pin connector on the module and measure between PIN 2 on the 2 pin connector and PIN 7 on the 8 pin connector you just unplugged. The acceptable values for this measurement are:

- Specified value approx. 1.2 Ω (not valid for leather seats).

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Xylynx
Added additional information

Hi X. So impressed with all the info. Thank you.

If you have time, there is a really good picture of under the seat on "parts for sale", "9n Polo Leather Seats" about half way down.

Have just been working on the passenger seat today putting the seat belt sensor in, not the easiest of jobs, but done now. 

X, I checked the plugs like you said, and it looks like things should work. 

Just as a matter of interest, the 8 pin connector has only 5 connections in it. 

The loom came today, thats a whole new story, its got so many connections. 

So, i've had so much good info about heated seats, in this post, i may as well ask the next question.

The new harness came, the plugs fit in the seats and the temperature control switch, i was quite good at doing that, its the other end thats the problem, has anyone wired these up before? 

I need an idiots guide on how to do this. :nerd:

12 minutes ago, NZ100 said:

So, i've had so much good info about heated seats, in this post, i may as well ask the next question.

The new harness came, the plugs fit in the seats and the temperature control switch, i was quite good at doing that, its the other end thats the problem, has anyone wired these up before? 

I need an idiots guide on how to do this. :nerd:

Who supplied the looms?

Just now, Tech1e said:

Who supplied the looms?

Dare i say it, KUFATEC. it hasn't got a very good reputation from what i've read on here. I didn't know that before.

I tried to get onto their manuals but its not working.

1 minute ago, NZ100 said:

Dare i say it, KUFATEC. it hasn't got a very good reputation from what i've read on here. I didn't know that before.

I tried to get onto their manuals but its not working.

Yeah, had issues with their stuff before.

Best follow the wiring diagram the Wino helpfully posted and see when is left to connect.

Thanks Wino. Really do need an idiots guide.

There are 5 connections, ones ground and ones ignition (i think),  then one is Gelb (whatever that is) , one is Violett (is that colour), and the best one beleuchtung, ????

5 minutes ago, NZ100 said:

Thanks Wino. Really do need an idiots guide.

There are 5 connections, ones ground and ones ignition (i think),  then one is Gelb (whatever that is) , one is Violett (is that colour), and the best one beleuchtung, ????

Without know what you have currently on the car and what they have supplied you it is almost impossible to say.

Does the Kufatec wiring match the OE wiring or is it a work around?

Do you have the control unit under the seat?

Everything is already in the seats as built by VW, when i bought the seats recently, the person gave me the heater controls. He never rigged up the heaters when he had them.

So the plugs all fit , so its just where you stick these five wires. ??  Oh yes, the seats are going in a Roomster. 

Right, we have ground wire, we have ignition wire, will that be classed as live? 

Beleuchtung is illumination, i suppose thats to tell you that the seats are on, on the dash. 

Gelb is yellow. Violett is purple. 

Just need to know what these do? 

Do i really need Beleuchtung?