I rang Skoda and was told the same. I also rang an independent garage and he added that the water pump did not “need” to be changed at the same time ( I’m aware in most cases you might as well get the water pump changed anyway) . He mentioned that they didn’t run on the Same

system or something like that?

On 16/11/2018 at 00:47, Upthepool said:

I rang Skoda and was told the same. I also rang an independent garage and he added that the water pump did not “need” to be changed at the same time ( I’m aware in most cases you might as well get the water pump changed anyway) . He mentioned that they didn’t run on the Same

system or something like that?

The water pumps on 2013 models are useless, if it hasn't already broken it'll be on it's way out. Worth replacing with the updated one while the timing belt is off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donny1972 said:

5 yrs or 100k but I dont  get it as the audi a4 with the same engine is 90k or 9yrs.

I agree the numerous variations published between similar models and for different countries for no obvious reason is annoying and confusing.

I asked Skoda UK regarding my 2.0 TDI engine, they said it's 140k miles and 5 years.

Regardless whether 100k or 140k, most people would hit 5 years sooner. I think Audi's 90k or 9 years is more balanced replacement schedule.

Over last 12 months, I've only put 6k on the car. At this rate, when 5 years is up for next timing belt change, it would have done less than 40k. Very expensive per-mile cost :@

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ChrisHop said:

It's a 2014 so does this mean the water pump is OK? It has 37000 mile on it

I'm not sure when the water pump was 'uprated', and others have said that engines are batch built and sit in crates until put into a manufactured car. Mine was a Dec 13 and went at 47k miles.

I just reckon it's worth doing at the same time, they even come as a kit.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested I have a complete have a cambelt kit including water pump for 2014 Octavia 2.0 CR TDI for sale. (genuine Skoda parts, receipts to prove it!) 

I don't have the part numbers with me right now but can provide later tonight if anyone is interested. (No longer need the parts due to me trading it into Skoda yesterday for a VRS!)

Please let me know asap.

Thanks,

Dan

6 hours ago, daykes1 said:

If anyone is interested I have a complete have a cambelt kit including water pump for 2014 Octavia 2.0 CR TDI for sale. (genuine Skoda parts, receipts to prove it!) 

I don't have the part numbers with me right now but can provide later tonight if anyone is interested. (No longer need the parts due to me trading it into Skoda yesterday for a VRS!)

Please let me know asap.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi

So this kit wouldn’t be suitable for a 2014 2.0 litre vrs estate then?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Is it a belt or a chain that's in the VRS TSI? I have a 220. I'm wondering when this needs attention as I'm at 6 years at the end of this year and I've got 50K miles at the moment. 

Pretty sure its a belt and at that age I'd be starting to shop around.  Not urgent yet so good opportunity to get a good price with a trustworthy garage rather than a panic job.

10 hours ago, StuFan said:

Is it a belt or a chain that's in the VRS TSI? I have a 220. I'm wondering when this needs attention as I'm at 6 years at the end of this year and I've got 50K miles at the moment. 

In a MK3 VRS 220 TSI you have the EA888-Gen3 engine.

This uses a cam chain, not a belt.

55 minutes ago, StuFan said:

Does the cam chain need replaced at a certain age/mileage? Or anything associated with it? 

There is no official maintenance schedule for the chain/tensioner AFAIK.

The earlier EA888-Gen2 engine, as used in 1.8 and 2.0-litre petrol Mk2 Octavias, has developed a reputation for issues with the tensioner leading to chain failure and expensive damage.  This has led to some Mk2 owners upgrading their tensioners to later designs to try and ward-off the issue.

As of yet, I have not seen any significant reports of such issues with the EA888-Gen3 engine that you have.  But I have also not been looking too closely as I have to make do with a 1.4 TSI...

Others may have more info.

• 4 months later...

The Skoda Octavia Mk III maintenance manual states 210,000kms for CKFC engine (2013 2.0 TDI) - except in some high dust territories  and according to Skoda Europe there is no time limit to this (so no need to change at 4 or 5 years if lower mileage). However Skoda UK dealers seem keen to replace at 5 years regardless, and my attempt to get some information on Skoda timing belt failures met with silence although you would have though Skoda must collect this data, otherwise how could the maintenance manual state 210,000kms.

So please Skoda UK, can we have some facts?

• Like 1

I discussed this with my local mechy recently and his theory was the recommendations change throughout the life of the production depending on failures.

Fewer failures would have the effect of making the recommended mileage longer and they probably do shelf life tests to determine the time period.

52 minutes ago, JohnBondi said:

So please Skoda UK, can we have some facts?

:D   You must be joking. I'd be surprised if you managed to get two people at Skoda UK agree with each other.   I believe the problem is the same engine is available to Audi', Skoda, SEAT and VW but there is no common denominator for maintenance - each manufacturer seems to have been allowed to go their own way, thus confusion arises.

To put the cat amongst the pigeons, someone asked the motoring guru HonestJohn last week about this exact issue and he replied,  wait for it...  "VAG have recently gone back to changing the belt every 4 years" 😲

He says he asked VAG for a reason but they haven't given one. But if you look at the VW website, it still says 5 years whilst others give no information whatsoever. Confusion continues then.

Absolutely nobody has a clue what's going on and that includes the manufacturer. All I can recommend is people is contact the dealer they purchased the car from and go by what they say because if you do that and the worst senario happens  -  i.e. the engine gets wrecked due to a belt failure, then you always have the backstop " ...but you said".

Edited by Guest

My car's going in for its 4 year service next week. It's only done about 21k and is still inside the extended warranty. Fortunately no one's suggested that the belt might need changing, as I guess I'd have to do it to keep the warranty.