Fuel

Channel

Went to fill up the 2.0 diesel 4x4 Karoq to day and was very surprised, having seen the oil price come down to 65 dollars a barrel and petrol follow it down that diesel has not moved and is now 10p a litre more than petrol when 2 weeks ago the difference was only 3p.  What is occuring apart from a rip off.  It is also interesting to note that since the hype over diesel fuel in cars only of course, and everybody was advised to buy a petrol vehicle we have seen the first overall rise in CO2 emissions. 

That is interesting but it does not answer the question, why is it that petrol has come down so far and diesel has remained.  Prestatyn Tesco the difference is 11p.  A barrel of oil is down from 83dollars to 65 and diesel has not budged

There is some lag, some genuine and some profitering.

The Brexit thing has sent the money markets a bit loopy. Pound was up against the dollar yesterday but it's tanked today so they are probably edging their bets.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/10349-british-pound-latest-analyst-expectations-for-sterling-vs-euro-and-dollar-in-wake-of-brexit-deal-backlash

TBH I'd expect the price at the pump to increase now not decrease, no matter what the oil price does.

If the price of crude goes up we're going to get hammered for the next few years whilst our political masters flail about.

On 14/11/2018 at 19:12, Channel said:

Went to fill up the 2.0 diesel 4x4 Karoq to day and was very surprised, having seen the oil price come down to 65 dollars a barrel and petrol follow it down that diesel has not moved and is now 10p a litre more than petrol when 2 weeks ago the difference was only 3p.  What is occuring apart from a rip off.  It is also interesting to note that since the hype over diesel fuel in cars only of course, and everybody was advised to buy a petrol vehicle we have seen the first overall rise in CO2 emissions. 

I understood that diesel fuel ie the higher SG distillates, come from the more far away places than the lighter petrol distillate so with a longer supply chain for diesel fuel it is slower to benefit from price drops.

Tax (excise part) is exactly the same ie about 58p a litre, so it must be the cost price of the fuel, and possibly a portion of the oil companies looking to make more profit from diesel and of course the massive addition of 20% VAT, compared to history of it being at 8,10,12.5,15 and 17.5% amplifies the cost difference.    

^^^ I read this before where you posted about higher SD distillates coming from far away places.

But the Refinery and the Cracking plants like Grangemouth are where they are in Grangemouth and the Oil comes in and other products and the Petrol, Diesel, Kerosene etc etc rolls out.

Distance in and distance out is much the same, products in from where ever and whenever. 

Diesel production is less expensive than gasoline and you do not get gasoline until diesel has come form the procedure.

Edited by Offski

12 hours ago, Offski said:

^^^ I read this before where you posted about higher SD distillates coming from far away places.

But the Refinery and the Cracking plants like Grangemouth are where they are in Grangemouth and the Oil comes in and other products and the Petrol, Diesel, Kerosene etc etc rolls out.

Distance in and distance out is much the same, products in from where ever and whenever. 

Diesel production is less expensive than gasoline and you do not get gasoline until diesel has come form the procedure.

Good stuff coming from the North Sea ie low SG (High API) and crappy oil from most places in the US etc (medium and dark colours), map below, a few years old but not changed hugely since then.

Tough when I was merchant navy buying a couple of thousand tonnes a time for fuel oil and buying by the tonne and getting lower SG than expected and not being able to fit it all in the bunker tanks, had to leave 10 tonnes behind once loading in Saudi and then split some out of the breather pipes when leaving Persian Gulf and heading out to the Indian Ocean, oops.   

Oil really fallen in price in the last couple of months, economic slowdown predicted and Iran still finding markets.  

oil map

• Like 1

Just as well there are UK Companies that Super Markets have part ownership of that are getting what ever from where ever when ever & getting Road Fuel to filling stations.

http://greenergy.com

Even more fortunate is that the the British isles is not France.  Pity so much stuff has to go in and out of France to get to the UK but that is not the Crude Oil 

or the Road Fuels.

Edited by Offski

45 minutes ago, Offski said:

Just as well there are UK Companies that Super Markets have part ownership of that are getting what ever from where ever when ever & getting Road Fuel to filling stations.

http://greenergy.com

Even more fortunate is that the the British isles is not France.  Pity so much stuff has to go in and out of France to get to the UK but that is not the Crude Oil 

or the Road Fuels.

I agree with bringing the tax on diesel fuel up to that of petrol on mainland Europe to get people off diesel but the rise the French government was shockingly high ie. over a 13% increase in Excise Duty,  

Perhaps lorry drivers will fill up less in France and more in the UK as currently they can and it is worth doing, filling up with 1,000 litres or so in Belgium or France and noy buying any fuel in the UK despite driving hundreds of miles on UK roads.

That is if the UK allows EU truck driving licences past 29th of March and visa versa.  I can see a big change to intnerantional movement of unnacompanied trailers and containers rather than accompanied post the BREXIT.  

https://vaaju.com/germanyeng/one-killed-and-over-100-injured-in-protests-against-fuel-prices-in-france/

Why petrol prices rise in France: 
The Budget Act 2018 provides an increase in excise duty on gasoline of 3.9 cents per liter and diesel by 7.6 cents per liter in addition to the premium for more environmentally friendly vehicles. In addition, further increases in the liter price are planned by 2.6 cents in the following year. Diesel is also heavily taxed to further reduce the price differential for gasoline.

For comparison: The French motorists currently pay about 61 cents of taxes per liter of gasoline, making them the top five in Europe. In Germany, currently 90.2 cents of taxes per liter of gas are due.

The "yellow west" demand from the government to increase the tax increase again. Officially, the government wants to finance the energy transition with a part of it. The opposition criticizes drivers ripping to reduce the budget deficit.

Edited by lol-lol

The price in France has only risen to what it was at 10 years ago when people were earning considerably less.

The price differential between diesel and petrol is gradually being removed but diesel is still cheaper, for the first time in 14 years I no longer try to eke out my French bought diesel during UK visits, the price is about the same.

You guys pay more for diesel these days do you not?

Diesel has always or nearly always been a few pence more expensive in the UK than petrol.

So not a these day thing , it is how it is, and how it was, and you go further generally with diesel per litre than petrol.

Commercial users of diesel have the price / tax that the Government has for them.

Decades ago Diesels got Oil Changes twice as often as Petrols, but that was decades ago.

Now newer ones will need AdBlue probably and it was a rip-off price but is now available some places for half the price or even lower than about a year ago.

Edited by Offski

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

The price in France has only risen to what it was at 10 years ago when people were earning considerably less.

The price differential between diesel and petrol is gradually being removed but diesel is still cheaper, for the first time in 14 years I no longer try to eke out my French bought diesel during UK visits, the price is about the same.

You guys pay more for diesel these days do you not?

The excise duty on diesel and petrol has not changed in 9 years but VAT has and the ex-refinery price yoyos around.  Meanwhile government worker salaries virtually frozen whilst motoring costs ie new cars servicing insurance etc have risen by double digit inflation since 2010.  Hence car ownership peaked. UK roads also have a higher percentage of road works than I have ever known in 40 years of motoring.

Isn't diesel ownership a much higher proportion in France than it is here?

An increase in derv is bound to upset even more people there and they like to set fire to stuff when they're not happy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Diesel is always more expensive in winter, it's used for heating in a lot of places.

There is also a lot less refining capacity these days.

And there is, or likely to be, more demand for shipping with the requirement to install scrubbers or use cleaner fuel.

There's a recent government report on the reasons behind the differential price, but I've lost the link, I'm sure someone can re-find it via Google.