Blind Spot monitor not working

Well folks, I'm back. generally absolutely delighted with the car, but now really eager to hear responses. My blind spot monitor AND rear traffic alert issue has returned!  Nearside mirror is dipping as configured (malanderson)  but literally every time I drive the car, both features spontaneously turn themselves off. This was previously fixed by a software upgrade under warranty. In a possibly related issue, the car has forgotten all radio stations and elements (not all) of the personalisation settings.

thoughts?  Anyone else?

Really interesting your car has forgotten all the radio stations? Mine has done the same in the last couple of days and ive read a couple of threads now with various other people saying the same thing.I wonder if this particular issue is more to do with broadcast info than car issue.Just for completeness i dont have any other problems apart from my boot opening randomly in the night!

Is Side Assist the new name for Blind Spot Warning or does it actually move the car from one lane to another autonomously like in the new A Class?

drewellis "Blind Spot Warning" is what I thought the facility was called.  It senses a car entering the blind spot, initially flashes an orange symbol in the mirror, then audible warning and then prevents/resists your steering the car into trouble. It acts similarly to the lane departure system.

• 2 weeks later...

Malanderson. I so wish my problem was the same.  Nope, my parking mirror has been set correctly to dip from day one.  My rear sensor and blind spot  facilities have AGAIN reverted to manual set up.  Back to the dealer  soon.

Anyone else on this thread who has permanently got this fixed, please let me know how

Maybe similar, maybe not, but...

When I had a Westfalia detachable towbar fitted with fully integrated electronics (same module as in factory fit towbar), the Westfalia coder which the fitters used (choose make/model/year and press Go) didn’t quite do the necessary configuration.

Symptom was that, at low speed manoeuvring, the Blind Spot and Rear Traffic Alert would disable themselves with a bong. I could re-enable once travelling at speed, so Blind Spot would be operational on motorways. 

What was actually happening was a CANbus fault was getting latched, whenever something was connected to the towbar electrics. Once latched, the fault needed clearing with VCDS, then all would be fine until I reconnected to the towbar electrics.

After much faff and phone calls made by the fitters to their coding kit supplier, turned out that my model year (2018) needed Lane Assist coding changed slightly (byte 2 changed from 12 to 22 hex, god knows what that did and how people know this!). After that change, it is perfect. 

Anyway, an example of how one minor thing being wrong in one module can cause very odd behaviour in another system.

But, if yours was all working fine and suddenly has stopped working, that is strange. Any fault codes logged?

Edited by Ivan8192
OCD spelling.

• 6 months later...

Weird one today. Driving happily down the motorway this morning when the blind spot / rear assist unavailable warning came on, saying sensor obstructed. Tried to reset it (tick the function in the maxi-dot) but it wouldn't let me. Then about 4 miles later it started working again. Worked fine on the way home too. I'm guessing some road dirt, leaf or whatever covered one of the sensors, then fell away - they were all clean when I got to work. It was raining lightly, so spray might have been the issue, though I've driven in much worse and not had a problem. Anyone else had this?

• 3 years later...

My experience - had some power surge or drop of current that left my entertainment system frozen even after the car turned off. 

Blind spot and cross traffic would not calibrate code. Took to a garage to see if they can see issues, and it stated a malfunction on vcds when trying to manually force calibration.  So got a vcds from a colleague to mess about with coding, checked the fault code. Done all the lights, boot lid beeping etc. Tried forcing audi mode for throttle response but it would reject it and lock the ecu, forcing me to restart the car. 

So miraculously this has reset the ecu and my blind spots and cross traffic started to work after months !!! I was literally on the way to a garage for them to investigate the issue and just thought id check one last time!! 

So friggin happy. So guys reset codes, ecu, dunno how, but it might fix the bug of calibration and sensors not working!

3 minutes ago, Komap said:

My experience - had some power surge or drop of current that left my entertainment system frozen even after the car turned off. 

Blind spot and cross traffic would not calibrate code. Took to a garage to see if they can see issues, and it stated a malfunction on vcds when trying to manually force calibration.  So got a vcds from a colleague to mess about with coding, checked the fault code. Done all the lights, boot lid beeping etc. Tried forcing audi mode for throttle response but it would reject it and lock the ecu, forcing me to restart the car. 

So miraculously this has reset the ecu and my blind spots and cross traffic started to work after months !!! I was literally on the way to a garage for them to investigate the issue and just thought id check one last time!! 

So friggin happy. So guys reset codes, ecu, dunno how, but it might fix the bug of calibration and sensors not working!

How the hell do i edit...

Anyway my car is a Superb 67 plate. I ticked a Soft Reset when trying to code Audi throttle and some other codes, that might have helped?

37 minutes ago, Komap said:

How the hell do i edit...

Top right of your post there are three dots, click on that within half an hour of posting and you'll see an edit option.  The half hour is a guess, it may be more/less time. It's infinite if you have Freedom membership.

• 4 months later...

Sorry, wrong post before.

Similar situation here, the blind monitor works fine around 8minutes and then stoped, with a Warning "Blind spot with no visibility".

Once appear the message the system can not be activated again.

If I start/stop the car, the blind system works for 2 or 3 minutes.

No idea how to solve or workaround the problem...

I have an MK3 from 2018.

Thanks!!!

11 hours ago, Adr85 said:

Sorry, wrong post before.

Similar situation here, the blind monitor works fine around 8minutes and then stoped, with a Warning "Blind spot with no visibility".

Once appear the message the system can not be activated again.

If I start/stop the car, the blind system works for 2 or 3 minutes.

No idea how to solve or workaround the problem...

I have an MK3 from 2018.

Thanks!!!

Have you checked for any fault codes?

have you checked the radar positions?

have you had the radars static calibrated?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/01/2019 at 16:09, malanderson said:

CURED - Yes I had this problem develop 8 weeks after delivery of my July 2018 Superb SE L Hatch Auto. Both blind spot monitor / rear traffic alert stopped working when I selected reverse. The verification that this is the cause was - Whilst in 'Park' position (Automatic Gearbox, but I guess 'Neutral would work on a Manual Box) , view the assistance page on the Maxi-Dot where a 'Tick' would be showing (if not showing then tick them) against both Blind Spot and Rear Traffic Alert. Select reverse, and the 'Ticks' disappear. Re-Tick them and they return to working until next time you select Reverse. Cure (for me anyway) was found by accident. My wife got a new Seat Leon (Super-Dooper model), and I was trying to sort her car's ability to lower the left mirror when selecting Reverse, as advertised on TV. Having fixed her car by following her manual EXACTLY, I thought I would have a go getting my Superb to do the same, even though I had not previously realised that it was a fitted feature. I followed the method EXACTLY for ALIGNING the Left mirror drop on reverse selection, Which I got to work (and splendid it is, you can even set the angle it drops to) - Thereafter the problem with the blind spot monitor / rear traffic alert has totally disappeared from the Superb, and remains problem free 2K miles later. Yipee. PS Incidentally when fixing the mirror drop problem, great attention has to be paid to the Drivers door mirror selector knob position. The mirrors only drop when 'L' is selected, and do not revert to the rearward view until the doors lock at approx 3 MPH.  Having read what I have just written, it would seem that until you have 'Set-Up' the 'Home Position' of the 'Mirror / Reverse Tilt', the blind spot monitor / rear traffic alert has not been 'Set-Up' fully, And it is easy to THINK you have set up the mirror, 'cos you can see through it, and like me, you might not even realise it could tilt.   Hope the above helps. Mal

That help me actually. thx 

• 8 months later...
On 05/03/2023 at 09:11, ApertureS said:

Have you checked for any fault codes?

have you checked the radar positions?

have you had the radars static calibrated?

I still having this issue, did you finally solved? or at least did you check everything you asked?

• 2 months later...
On 16/11/2018 at 23:43, JR RS said:

5b054ed4a033d_SummaryofComponents-LaneChangeAssist.thumb.JPG.6e76ac51b50d549770cfcfc527afcc14.JPG

Had this problem flag up on the M6 yesterday evening.  We were up near Penrith and the weather was grim so I assumed it must be some water ingress.  However, still no joy.  Looking at hte image above, are the control units in the rear bumper?  Or do we think they're mounted towards the front of the rear arches, perhaps behind the arch liners?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swervin_Mervin said:

Looking at hte image above, are the control units in the rear bumper?  Or do we think they're mounted towards the front of the rear arches, perhaps behind the arch liners?

No, they r not behind the wheel arch liners.

They r directly below each tail light, inside the rear bumper.

just ignore the text in the image.

1123414419_Screenshot_20230423-1001282.thumb.png.0cb4a82ab9462748cd7787304a4b7c54.png

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JR RS said:

No, they r not behind the wheel arch liners.

They r directly below each tail light, inside the rear bumper.

just ignore the text in the image.

1123414419_Screenshot_20230423-1001282.thumb.png.0cb4a82ab9462748cd7787304a4b7c54.png

Ta for that.  Nice and handy location 😂  Maybe I'll leave it for the garage to look into first to see if it's throwing any error codes.