problems with 1.5 tsi across vag group ?

bripat

I know we don't have many 1.5 tsi in the kodiaq  (YET) but the problems across the VAG group with the 1.5 is growing very fast the T- ROC FORUM  has pages and pages about kangarooing when pulling away also the same thing now on the Octavia + karoq  forums,  any new owners with a 1.5 kodiaq had any problems ? or are they not letting the 1.5 through ?

Edited by bripat

The Kodiaq 1.5 TSI's are still crawling through the WLTP process, so none delivered to customers yet. Although if I had one on order I'd be worried.

Hopefully it ends up being software rather than hardware related, and therefore a relatively easy fix.

One of the reasons I ordered our Kodiaq just before production of the 1.4 TSI ended, a cracking engine.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

All i can say , but mine is a 1.5  December 2017  1.5 tsi Octy DSG , Never had any kangarooing problems , think this is the version before introducing the new  WLTP process in 2018 , maybe there is the reason .

16 minutes ago, johnmb said:

1.5 tsi Octy DSG

From what I've read - the 1.5 mated to the DSG is a different engine to the 1.5 mated to a manual gearbox... the manual has cylinder-on-demand technology and the DSG doesn't (or the other way around).

?

Has the Social Media / Forums got any reports, posts, threads of issues from WLTP Approved / Ceritficated MY19 VAG vehicles with the 1.5 TSI EVO & with GPF?

I have not seen any!

Think its the DSG that has the cylinder on demand , , ie drops to 2 cylinders in cruise mode , comes up on dash for me when iam doing a steady  drive  in right conditions 

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

?

Has the Social Media / Forums got any reports, posts, threads of issues from WLTP Approved / Ceritficated MY19 VAG vehicles with the 1.5 TSI EVO & with GPF?

I have not seen any!

Mine being a late 2017 version , i assume does not have the  GPF , came in for the WLTP test vehicles 

• Like 1

Exactly.

So the Karoq, Octavia or anything with the engines from pre WLTP might well be not the best to compare with those that are now Tyre Approved and in production.

Knowing how the New 1.5 TSI EVO are behaving will be of interest to those getting one of those.

The ones pre WLTP Approval can be driven as Demonstrators, Used cars, hire cars etc to see if they have issues that might be a problem.

Edited by Offski

All 1.5 TSI's in the Kodiaq (2WD, 4x4 , manual & DSG) get ACT (Active Cylinder Technology), the same as the current 1.4 TSI 150PS...

Capture.JPG.7c1b5899d1a8a5b80aa121af08a8a70d.JPG

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

I’m thinking of ordering a 1.5 150ps to replace a Supber 2.0 TDI 150bhp. What are the issues with these engines - I’m more worried about the fuel economy being be shocking versus my Superb but interested to know if it’s likely to have issues?

1.5 TSI Euro 6 with manual boxes have had and are having issues and VW were in denial.

Now it has grown arms and legs and there are not anyone i have seen on 'Social Media' reporting issues with WLTP Approved 1.5 TSI DSG's that have been delivered to customers.

Only time will tell but 'Chinese whispers'   seems to be responsible for lots of confusion.

VW / Skoda / Audi / SEAT Customer Services will say do not listen to forum posts, this time they might be right.  

But then this is not 'Lemons' that they usually pan off owners of with 'VW are aware and working on it'.    Surely these WLTP Certified cars have no 'Cheats in the Engine Management' 

just to pass tests yet drive crap on the road in real world conditions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, casati said:

I’m thinking of ordering a 1.5 150ps to replace a Supber 2.0 TDI 150bhp. What are the issues with these engines - I’m more worried about the fuel economy being be shocking versus my Superb but interested to know if it’s likely to have issues?

I have a MkII 2.0 TDI CR140 Superb, albeit a slightly older engine than yours, but also have had an Octavia Scout with the same 2.0 TDI CR150 engine you have now.

The Superb is used for my 120 mile per day commute, a mix of 50-60mph back roads and a good 30 mile stint at between 60-80mph, each way.

The Superb has averaged pretty much bang-on 50mpg (manually calculated) in the 8 years / 160,000 miles I've had it. The Octavia was a little better and got closer to 55mpg.

We also have a manual 1.4 TSI 150PS Kodiaq which I've brought to work this morning (in at the Skoda dealer for a few warranty niggles), and at those speeds mentioned above it is way thirstier.

We're talking mid to late 30's mpg. The 1.5 TSI is supposed to be a couple of percent better than the 1.4 it replaces that I have.

I'm sure if I stuck to 60-70mph I'd be in the low 40's, but don't be expecting similar fuel consumption from a small engined petrol Kodiaq compared to a diesel Superb. 

Thanks - I had a 140bhp Superb previously too so that a good comparison - I’ll have to work out if I can live with the 1.5 economy which will probably cost a grand a year more for me in fuel

If the 1.5 TSI in the Kodiaq is anything like the 1.4 TSI (once they've ironed out the issues seen on the Karoq and T-Roc) then I think you'll be happy to take the extra cost.

It's such a smooth and quiet engine, refined I guess. Some people complain it's a bit slow, and to be fair it can be, but that encourages me to drive a little more sedately, which suits the 1.4 perfectly and makes the overall ownership experience a more pleasant one.

Getting back into the Superb tomorrow won't be fun. Diesel clatter, no heated screen or seats, sat on the floor. No DAB, sat nav. Wonder if the wife will swap :D

• 3 weeks later...

I think the title of the thread is wrong, should be 1.5tsi manuals, not 1.5tsi in general

The problems are only when paired with a manual gearbox,  doesn't seem to be any problems with 1.5tsi + DSG

• Confused 1

There are also issues with the DSG.

Perhaps not identical, but there are plenty of 1.5 TSI owners with the DSG gearbox that have what they claim to be very similar symptoms...

Screenshot_20181210-175038_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by silver1011

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ ?

Moves how far, a mm or a cm or more. 

Do they not have a foot on the brake pedal when moving the shifter from P to 'R' or 'D'?

Do they not have Autohold or the E-Brake working?

1 of them moved a few metres, and then it went dead. (after making a turn into a big road - not very safe) 

The other has the problem in fx. traffic light junctions. They hold for red, and when it turns green the car does not move, when they push the pedal. 

And start/stop is off. 

A guy with an octavia claims skoda did some work with the power circuit on his car to try to fix a similar problem. 

Edited by mlohnork