Winter Rims and tyres

My L&K has 19" factory fit rims with the crappy P7s fitted. As the bad weather is coming soon what do the forum users recommend for rims (I'm fine on using 17" for winter BTW) and suitable winter tyres to get me through the winter safely?

I'm in the UK.

I started off using 17” Audi TT alloys c/w Nokian WR D4 225/55/17” winter tyres (£92 each), the TT alloys are quite wide at 9” though but didn’t protrude past the sidewall: 

929826937_TTwinters.thumb.jpg.c59e8a0c952ab987eb0513fad194f232.jpg

50/50 with the 19” summer and 17” winter:

26206688379_ab21f6ffeb_o.thumb.jpg.df0c8e3deb57f163a8fea1e50454ff27.jpg

Whilst there was nothing ‘wrong’ with them, aesthetically they just didn’t work for me so I upgraded them to 19” SportLine wheels c/w Nokian WR A4 235/40/19” winter tyres (£147 each):

34979151304_b882afd31f_o.thumb.jpg.6b9f23b8771dd523256cff1962dced98.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 2WD 2016 Superb 3v3 diesel, and have recently bought a set of Michelin Cross Climate, instead of a second set of wheels/tyres.

I hope to god they will OK, especially if we have the snow etc of last winter season. :wondering:

50 minutes ago, pj71 said:

I have a 2WD 2016 Superb 3v3 diesel, and have recently bought a set of Michelin Cross Climate, instead of a second set of wheels/tyres.

I hope to god they will OK, especially if we have the snow etc of last winter season. :wondering:

I had a set of Cross Climates on a previous Corolla and on my current Laguna, they are fantastic believe me. Absolutely brilliant in the snow we had last year.  According to Honest John , they are better than 4wd on ordinary tyres.   

Edited by JamesETheFirst
Additional text.

@JamesETheFirstProper 4 wd drive on correctly selected tyres to match the capabilities or fashion vehicle (Chelsea tractor) that people get suckered into buying and has summer road tyres?

I would suggest the latter:wondering:

I chose the second set of wheels, inc tyres as they were approx £220 cheaper than a set of cross climates that would still have been a compromise. 

Cross Climate tyres and the like will always be a compromise, such is the nature of the beast.

However, they’re a great and reliable alternative for someone who doesn’t want to store and swap an extra set of tyres twice a year.

Don’t expect the same performance proper winter tyres will give you, but you can expect much, much better performance than standard summer tyres.

Then again, what we call proper winter tyres (and ditto conditions) is something Scandinavian citizens wouldn’t even bother slowing down for.

I've honestly never bought winter tyres and don't even know what wheels I'd need to get. 

Here are 2 independant tests of different tyres though for anyone interested

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-ADAC-Winter-Tyre-Test-205-55-R16.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Auto-Bild-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm

The autobild one is better is it has lots of charts and comparisons.

For those that don't want to read them.

Auto Bild placed the Dunlop Winter Sport 5 in 1st, the Continental Wintercontact TS 860 in 2nd and the Kleber Krisalp HP3 in 3rd.

The ADAC test put the Continental TX 860 in 1st, Goodyear Ultragrip 9 in 2nd and Dunlop Winter Sport 5 in 3rd.

From Auto Bild numbers

Dry Braking

Reference Summer (unknown tyre) stopped in the dry at 39.5m, Reference all season in 42.2m the shortest winter on test was 42.8m (Yokohama V905), while overall 1st 2nd and 3rd tyres came in at 45.6m, 45.6m and 45m respectively. That's 5-6m longer braking distance in the dry. About 1 Superb.

Dry Handling

Reference Summer managed 109.9, All season 107.7, best winter was the Hankook i cept RS2 at 107.6, while 1st, 2nd and 3rd place overall came in at 106.4, 106 and 106.1 respectively.

Wet Braking

Reference summer 35.9m, reference all season 34.9m, winner 34.3 (Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 Evo), while overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd came in at 34.8m, 34.5m and 35.9m. Stopping about 1m shorter in the wet, about 1/5th a Superb. (For reference, they must have been braking from a lower speed in this test to the dry one, as the distances are all shorter).

Wet handling

Reference summer, 72.3, All season, 71.9, best winter was the Conti at 72.8. Overall 1st 2nd and 3rd were 72.1, 72.8 and 71.4 respectively. Barely any difference. Even the very worst tyre on test was only 67.5.

Straight Aquaplaning

Summer float speed, 83.6 kph, all season 79.6 kph, winner 88.3kph (Falken Eurowinter HS01), overall 1st 2nd and 3rd came in at 80.6kph, 86.4kph and 80.6. Actually surprised to see the reference summer do worse than only 4 winter tyres.

Snow Braking

Summer 43.2m(!), All season 29.5m, winner 27m (Goodyear Ultragrip 9). Overall 1st 2nd and 3rd place came in at 28.1m, 27.6m, and 27.1m. Every winter tyre stopped inside 30m. In the snow a summer tyre will have you stopped 13m later than ANY winter tyre on test. Nearly 2.5 Superbs.

Snow Handling

Summer 27.6, All Season 50.1, winner 52.8 (Goodyear Ultragrip 9). Overall 1st 2nd and 3rd came in at 51.5, 51.9 and 52.3 respectively. All winter tyres are basically equal and all about twice as good as the reference summer.

There's more in there about noise, rolling resistance and value based on projected life of the tyre and cost at time of testing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2018 at 15:27, JamesETheFirst said:

I had a set of Cross Climates on a previous Corolla and on my current Laguna, they are fantastic believe me. Absolutely brilliant in the snow we had last year.  According to Honest John , they are better than 4wd on ordinary tyres.   

Thank you for that. its very reassuring to know! 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a good one. I bought some 18" Skoda rims off eBay and they are marked but ok. Next got some Nokian 18" 235 45's from Oponeo (arrived today) and look fab.

Next phone Kwik Fit to book in for having the tyres fitted to the new rims and the guy said "Sorry we don't fit other peoples tyres". !!!!! WTF.

Is that why people call them C..P Fit?

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Haha 1

People do not go to KFC or McDonalds and ask if they will cook the food you bought someplace else.

Plenty Independent Tyre & Exhaust Centres or Nationals will fit and balance tyres. 

Just remember if it is being done minus a Receipt and VAT being paid for fitting and balancing that you might not have anyone to complain to if you have issues and the cash money went in the tea box.

• Like 2

Always got a receipt whenever I've taken tyres in to be fitted at a tyre place that were not bought there, not getting one never even came up.

Will thickfit also not swap your winters for your summers even if you bought them all from them?

I've decided on popping some Continental TS 850P tyres on mine now (first time for winters on one of my cars). Waiting on a supply and fitting and just fitting quote from a local place as I can get all 4 from TyreLeader for £676 posted. vs £687 from Camskill. That's for native 235/40/19 tyres.

Local place took £18 a corner off the wife for putting her winters on which were 17s. The 860S tyres which supersede them are just too expensive at £250 a tyre for not enough gain for me.

In the 4 ish months the tyres will be on the most they'll cover is about 6000 miles of mostly motorway so they should last a few winters and I have somewhere to put them. Not sure on getting a second set of alloys tbh just due to the upfront cost.

I got them fitted by a mobile tyre fitter. Found him on the tinter and gave him a ring. 20 minutes later he arrived and took about 30 mins to strip the old tyres off the eBay specials, fit the Nokians, balance and fit.

My 19" Phoenix Anthracites are now safely stored for winter.

£70 including call out.

Tried the Nokians out this morning in minus frost. They are really quiet and held the road really well. The P7s are considerable noisier and, as we know from other posts, are not the best for grip.

Also I have to say the ride difference between the 18"s and the 19"s is very noticeable.

• 2 years later...
On 14/12/2018 at 09:44, TerryMcK said:

I got them fitted by a mobile tyre fitter. Found him on the tinter and gave him a ring. 20 minutes later he arrived and took about 30 mins to strip the old tyres off the eBay specials, fit the Nokians, balance and fit.

My 19" Phoenix Anthracites are now safely stored for winter.

£70 including call out.

Tried the Nokians out this morning in minus frost. They are really quiet and held the road really well. The P7s are considerable noisier and, as we know from other posts, are not the best for grip.

Also I have to say the ride difference between the 18"s and the 19"s is very noticeable.

Hi, sorry for reopening this. But which is for you better in winter? 18” or 19” wheels?