Superb Holiday II – Sicily 2018

freelunch

I was rather hoping others would post their road trips so I could do a bit of armchair travel, too!  :biggrin:

@Auric Goldfinger I have long fancied a road trip in a Mustang convertible taking in towns along the Mississippi River: New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Memphis (with a side trip to Nashville), St. Louis and Chicago. Well, you gotta dream...

• Like 1

@freelunch nice writeup, but I'm curious; have you added an extra turbo to your car? I have the same engine, and AFAIK, it's only single turbo.

There's often some confusion, as the original "TSI" engines were turbocharger + supercharger, but VAG later used the same label across all their petrol engines, including those with only a turbocharger (such as the 220 TSI). Sorry to nitpick; it is really a very nice writeup, and the photography is great :-)

@plantpowered  Congratulations! You are the second to pass the intentional mistakes competition! The first winner was Douglas Fear, who caught the intentional misspelling of Maultaschen.

No, actually you've caught me being ignorant. Maybe, it's because I like the alliteration of twin-turbo better than single turbo? Anyway, I stand corrected. Thanks.

(For shattering my illusions!)  :D

@freelunch Jerry, this read kept me enthralled! What a fantastic trip. You're braver than I am taking your own car....I've encountered the Italian drivers many a time but I was in a hire car :D

I think you're on to something with the fiat 500 plan, that sounds excellent! Slightly less room for luggage I'd wager though...

4 minutes ago, boydeee said:

Slightly less room for luggage I'd wager though...

Yeah, the luggage problem. Like I said, we used to tour on a motorcycle. I got a pannier and the tank bag, TGBITW got a pannier and the very large top box. It's amazing what she could cram into that space. Evening wear. And who needs six pairs of shoes?!!! (Yeah, but they don't take up much space...)

With the Škoda, we came back from Sicily with things we'd never worn. Now, I call that too much space.

One of the reasons I chose the Škoda over the Alfa Romeo Giulia was its bigger boot. And the hatch, which makes garden centre trips a doddle. But, I might have to go back and have another look. I've got a year to ponder and to see what Brexit does to new car prices. I keep looking at those Miata's...

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the report!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 25/11/2018 at 19:42, Auric Goldfinger said:

I fancy going to the States next year for another road trip..................You Going ?   :thinking:

You joked about a free trip to the USA. You almost had one.

My brother announced wedding plans, so we planned a month-long trip to California (for the wedding and to visit family) and a fly-drive to the southeast: Charlotte NC, Wilmington NC, Savannah GA, Tallahassee FL, New Orleans LA (zydeco), Memphis TN (blues), Nashville TN (C&W) and Lexington KY (bourbon). 

Our flight was to leave on 17 March, but was cancelled at 07:00 the morning of the flight.

The Bad News: I've spent the last month trying to recover money I laid out for the trip. The Americans have been mostly good about refunding/not charging on car hire, flights and hotel bookings, but Virgin Airlines is gonna make me try to recover £1,150 through my travel insurance (which cost £1,300 due to medical pre-conditions – you dare not travel to America without medical cover).

The Good News: If our flight had been cancelled a day later, Jo and I would still be in Sacramento CA, camping in my brother's back yard!