Living with the Kodiaq

pablomax

3 hours ago, pablomax said:

This is forbidden in Germany. In Dusseldorf you will still find many people who will double park or even park inside a tree planting area, but normally never blocking the sidewalk. Otherwise, they can be sure of a ticket or more likely that someone will damage their car with keys or the bicycle.

Sounds like I would feel really at home there amongst like minded people and could express myself physically instead of unfairly maligning people from behind a keyboard!

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Test drive a top of the line Kodiaq that has drive mode select, adaptive chassis, and the 2.0TSI or 140kw TDI. The drive mode select at least gives you some options to easily switch up the performance characteristics if you feel the ride is boring. I've got a top of the line 2.0TSI with all the bells and whistles. It's an extremely comfortable and refined ride, great around town and on long journeys. No problems parking on the curb in Prague, but I don't abuse it and hit it hard like I would PoS Jeep or old Land Cruiser. When I want a bit of fun I can pop it in Sport mode and it's got decent enough acceleration and handling to put a smile on my face (accepting of course that it's a family SUV and not a sports car.)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Offski said:

Ateca is the sister car to the Karoq, and really the Tiguan as well,

so not the size / space of a Kodiaq or a Tiguan AllSpace.

I know I know but it's fast though....:)

The Tarraco coming in a few weeks and look sweet, even bigger than Kodiaq

Edited by TonyTonic
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Kodiaq for a year now, 13,000 miles. It's the 190hp AWD auto diesel, so one of the more powerful options. I like it, but essentially it's a fairly dull car. It's good in snow, the ACC makes it great for my dull motorway commute, there's lots of space and if you really press hard on the accelerator it's decently fast. But it doesn't encourage you to go fast, it's a car that's well suited to leisurely cruising. If you want a more engaging drive from an SUV I'd recommend an X3 or maybe an Alfa Stelvio.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2018 at 09:31, pablomax said:

Does it put a smile on your face to drive it, or is it merely adequate? Does the seating position allow you to see over the "normal" cars in traffic?

You're only a little higher up than in a car. I find oddly that the seat front is very firm and hurts my thighs.  If you get the 7 speed auto DSG you make swift progress even in the 150bhp diesel. You can drive up the curbs with the standard 18in. I don't know about the 19s. On some models the 19s are laser cut type face alloys which means if you do ding them you only need wet and dry paper and autosol to repair -no paint. There are plug and play kits to go from 150hp to 200hp on the diesel (DTUK best IMO) for just over £300 which work exactly as advertised so not to worry about the power. The L200 looks cooler. :) 

I changed from a 2012 Superb 170tdi 4x4 manual and certainly didn't find it slow or have trouble with understeer. Now I have the kodiaq 190 DSG. I ave to agree with what someone else has said, while I love the car given your dislike of the Superb I really can't see you loving the Kodi. In fact I suspect you would tolerate it at the very best.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.
I still have the SuperB, but through my wifes company, I ended up getting an amazing deal on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Good enough that if I sell in a year, I'll still make money on the open market.

On 26/11/2018 at 02:14, Gizmo said:

Yes I have coded numerous Kodiaq’s. 

You say say your car has had the emissions fix.... that will certainly not be helping matters! 

what are some of the modifications you do to Kodiaqs ?

These are a few options I've seen talked about...

1) Traffic Sign Recognition (dependant on fitted equipment)

2) Needle sweep

3) Fan speed LED's illuminated on Auto

4) Heated seat memory

5) Refuel quantity

6) Rear wiper non-auto wiping when raining & travelling forward

7) Auto summertime clock

We need to wait until an experienced VCDS user buys a Kodiaq!

11 hours ago, chrisluciofg said:

what are some of the modifications you do to Kodiaqs ?

Look at the MKIII Octavia and Superb codings 

3 minutes ago, linni said:

Isn`t the coding the same as for Octavia 3?

Pretty much. 

10 hours ago, silver1011 said:

We need to wait until an experienced VCDS user buys a Kodiaq!

You could, but TBH providing they are pretty experienced on any of the MQB platform cars than that will suffice. 

On 25/11/2018 at 22:38, pablomax said:

Sadly, they will not sell the new Shogun here. I really like that car. Luckily my commute is only 15km. I have not a "huge" need of a pickup, if I am honest. We do have a few rental properties which from time to time require the rental of a van for replacements of various systems. Or at my home, our garden is rather large with a lot of bushes. So, a few times a year a rent a van to take a few trips to the local garden garbage center.

With the Kodiaq, I would just use a trailer I reckon.

At the end of the day, I don't want something that is boring. If you are going to spend 40K on something, it should bring you some joy. Not just a thing from getting from point a to b.

That's why I ask if people love their cars.

Hi pablomax. I stepped out of a Subaru Forester SUV early in 2018 (company car, with great back room space/ clearance, and plenty of zoom, but with a Boxter motor that cost heaps to service every 4 months), into a Skoda Kodiaq 2017/2018 plate, petrol 4x4, which has even more grunt (depending on which of the 7 driving modes are chosen e.g. eco to sport), bigger back room/ clearance space, and amazing technological inclusions and sensors (that I'm still grappling to comprehend).

In my humble opinion, it was a terrific purchase, that I hope will last a decade (that my Forester did).

Highly recommended.

Ps. It climbs median strips and sidewalks easily, with its high clearance chassis.

Best, John

@JohnHooper  welcome,

Sorry just a quick OT.   I take it that is a 'boxer engine' in the Subaru.   

What km / miles did you do that requires servicing every 4 months? 

Or is this about that crazy Australia's service interval i see of @ 3 months or 5,000 km? 

In the UK Servicing is every 12,000 miles / 19,300 km.  They last very well at that or Annual Servicing. 

3 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@JohnHooper  welcome,

Or is this about that crazy Australia's service interval i see of @ 3 months or 5,000 km? 

In the UK Servicing is every 12,000 miles / 19,300 km.  They last very well at that or Annual Servicing. 

Yes, 'boxer' in Forester, not Skoda !

High revs in boxter motor requires 3-4 annual car services, to change oil in particular, but dealers like to change "everything else" given every commercial opportunity. Minimum service cost was about AU$800-900 per quarter or so, which was a rip-off, but probably because it was a corporate car. Warranty (and regular aircon pollen filter replacement possibly also contributed)?

But on the other hand, that Forester lasted a decade of unfailing performance, apart from a battery upgrade or two. I think it was about 120,000km on the odometer when I stepped out of it. Loved it, but now retired, I couldn't sustain that level of annual servicing, and now loving my Skoda Kodiaq a LOT more, at least with 3 years free annual servicing and repairs.

My Skoda Kodiaq purchase was a private purchase, and absolutely loving driving it, or it driving me.

A few 'quibbles': back tail gate locking motor failed after a rough AUS road trip, after about 3 months from purchase (warranty repair of course, but dealer said there might be a global recall to fix that problem for the 2017/18 Kodiaq model).

More recently, "phonebox charging cavity" now flaky with charging mobile phones (on/off again charging flashing messages for Sumsung Galaxy Note 8 (when it worked fine for the first 6 months from purchase), and recent testing with iPhone X not even recognized by "phonebook. Hopefully just a car software update glitch.

Cheers, Johm

• Like 1

On 29/12/2018 at 15:10, JohnHooper said:

But on the other hand, that Forester lasted a decade of unfailing performance...

Growing up in the states, we had a Leone 4x4. My father clocked over 500k miles on that car before he sold it to our neighbor. It apparently made it to 750K before the motor finally died. Never a mechanical repair needed in the first 500k. Only the typical wear items.

My Mother still drives an outback. They are fantastic autos, but the styling is not really to my taste in the modern ones.

On 29/12/2018 at 13:41, Skoffski said:

@JohnHooper  welcome,

I think the new Subarus require a more sensible servicing schedule

• Confused 1

Kodiaq seems pretty decent , however I know what you mean about smashing up curbs without worry but I wouldn’t like to do it in the kodiaq or anything else without big bubbly off-road tyres . However at a decent angle you don’t have to worry if you go nice and slow with the normal wheels 

On 26/11/2018 at 02:57, SBell said:

Test drive a top of the line Kodiaq that has drive mode select, adaptive chassis, and the 2.0TSI or 140kw TDI. The drive mode select at least gives you some options to easily switch up the performance characteristics if you feel the ride is boring. I've got a top of the line 2.0TSI with all the bells and whistles. It's an extremely comfortable and refined ride, great around town and on long journeys. No problems parking on the curb in Prague, but I don't abuse it and hit it hard like I would PoS Jeep or old Land Cruiser. When I want a bit of fun I can pop it in Sport mode and it's got decent enough acceleration and handling to put a smile on my face (accepting of course that it's a family SUV and not a sports car.)

Thanks for your Kodiaq 2.0 TSI experience @SBell. Presumably, yours is also 2017/18 manufactured?

Any 'quibbles' with it, or major repairs you've needed, or warranty upgrades etc, during your ownership?

I've had 2, since my purchase in March 2018 (electronic boot lock failure, and now more recently an intermittent "phonebox" charging capabilty.)

There are not too many Kodiaq 2.0 TSI owners in Oz, so this international forum is very informative.

Cheers, John

2 hours ago, JohnHooper said:

Thanks for your Kodiaq 2.0 TSI experience @SBell. Presumably, yours is also 2017/18 manufactured?

Any 'quibbles' with it, or major repairs you've needed, or warranty upgrades etc, during your ownership?

I've had 2, since my purchase in March 2018 (electronic boot lock failure, and now more recently an intermittent "phonebox" charging capabilty.)

There are not too many Kodiaq 2.0 TSI owners in Oz, so this international forum is very informative.

Cheers, John

Here's a link to a recent review of the Kodiaq AUS release 2017. Is this similar to the UK/ European Skoda Kodiaq performance etc.?

https://www.caradvice.com.au/owner-reviews/2017-skoda-kodiaq-132-tsi-4x4-review-the-rental/