Glove box won't stay closed

Very much loving our Skoda Superb MKiii but one daft complaint. The glove box won't close properly. Exactly as per the links below, the far left side (towards the passenger door) droops down when closed. It also rattles and, on occasion simply falls open:

2016-skoda-superb-48.jpg

The actual issue is that the spring return latches within the door itself (not the frame) do not spring back out once pushed in by the door open mechanism. So, I can open the glove box but when I close it, only the latch on the right hand side has extended back out far enough to ctach on the lug in the frame. The left hand side just hangs down.

Anyone else seeing a similar issue?

I guess my options are to argue with a dealer (I think we're still in warranty) or buy a replacement on ebay and hope it works better.

Cheers,

iperry

• Like 2

Hi. Thanks. But this is not the latch that has failed. the latch in question is the pair of lock latches that protrude from  each side of the door/lid and engage with wee holes in the door/lid frame when closed. I have circled one in a still from the video you posted:

image.png.baddb3550d98a01a8d96b15e530fad41.png

Basically, when pushed back into the door, they don't re-extend properly.

Cheers,

iperry

There is an identical latch on the other side of the glovebox lid. It fails to extend at all once pushed inside.

Neither side work well though, that's why sometimes the lid won't stay closed at all.

Cheers,

ieperry

Thanks Gizmo, that's really helpful.

Ours is 3 years old with an extra year's extended Skoda warranty. Hopefully they'll be straightforward about it. There's a note on the service history that the original dealer had a shot at fixing it during year 1 for the first owner.

Would be nice to get it fixed as it is probably the loudest rattle in the car.

Cheers,

Ivan

Mine doesn't rattle too much but goes through fits of falling open.  I usually don't use it much as once opened it then falls open again.  I found waiting for the lugs to fully extend (the RHS one moves very slowly) seems to sort it after a while!

' I usually don't use it much as once opened it then falls open again.'

Yes, that is another problem with it. Occasionally I'll have someone in the car who'll open the glove box for some reason and then have it sat open on their knee for the rest of the journey.

iperry

Mine was driving me mad yesterday - started falling open on an hour's journey to site and every time I shut it the damn thing popped open again after a few seconds, now matter how hard I slammed it :D.  Eventually I stopped for a few minutes to do something else before I got to site (Geocaching!) and shut it, and it then stayed shut, so presumably it needed a few minutes without vibrations from driving to properly close once and for all.

If that hadn't worked I wold have got the duct tape out of the boot...

Yeah, ours won't stay closed at all now without manually pulling/extending the we plungers/latches out of the lid prior to shutting it. I have to keep a set of mini pliers in the car for this very purpose.

Dealer will take a look on Monday and determine if this is covered by manufacturer's extended warranty. I can't see how it shouldn't be but no doubt there'll be chat to be had. There's a note in the history that says another dealer tried to fix this previously so I don't think they can claim it has been abused. We'll see.

iperry

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer have agreed to replace glovebox under extended warranty.

Mechanic said he's seen a few of these and that there is a generally recognised defect with gloveboxes on the earlier Mkiii models.

So, happy that the dealer has been so good (kudo to Western Edinburgh on this one).

Cheers,

iperry

Interesting to note this - mine's a relatively early one (registered 30/01/2016) so may well have this.  Having said that, it hasn't popped open in the last few days. Thanks for the update.

I've said it now, will be plagued for the rest of today I expect...

I bought up a 67 reg Superb at the end of October and have noticed the same thing, the glove box will randomly fall open - mainly on bumpy A roads and as MCG1975 says above, regardless of how gently or forcefully you slam it it was falling open repeatedly.  I've driven it again for a couple of weeks and I think it's only openbed itself once.  Next time i take it to the dealer I'll ask them to look at it.  I've noticed that the left hand end of mine, nearest the passenger door, hangs out of line like iperry's pic above.

Gizmo - Do you know what they replaced?  Was it the whole lid or just the catch mechanism?

I’ve also come across this occasionally on March 18 manufactured MK3 Superb. Hasn’t happened for a while now but when it did it was same symptoms as the other posters so back to dealer when it happens again!

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Skoda extended warranty won’t replace my glovebox which is suffering with exactly the same problem. I could really do with knowing some details of dealerships and customers they have replaced this for for you guys. Would you mind sending me details of dealerships that did this please so I can argue that they should be covering it as they have for other customers. This is their reply.

Thanks

MC

We have now carried out a further review of this case at your request, the claim decision remains as a refusal, the brand (SKODA) consider the failing part to be a bodywork component, this is confirmed by their workshop manual and parts ordering system. 

Technically our decision represents the last stage of our process.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to drag this one up but has anyone changed the glovebox door DIY? And has a new door resolved the issue? 

Don't mind splashing out for the new part but as long as it works and I can work out how to swap it over! 

Thanks 

David 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vidmor said:

No not yet. My plan was to buy some time on Erwin and see if I could find the work shop manual but haven't had chance yet. 

Don’t waste your money.

the glovebox door is not a serviceable part so you won’t find anything in Erwin for it.

it simply shows you how to replace the complete glovebox assembly. And also the internals are not a part supplied individually 

58 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Don’t waste your money.

the glovebox door is not a serviceable part so you won’t find anything in Erwin for it.

it simply shows you how to replace the complete glovebox assembly. And also the internals are not a part supplied individually 

Thanks for the info , so it wouldn't show how to swap the lid /door out for a new one like this (I haven't double checked the part number for RHD, colour etc - but in principle?) https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5e1857121d9b9-dashboard-glove-box-lid-skoda-31129.html (assuming the new part works better!). The videos I have seen of glove box removal seem quite involved removing the CD Player / ICE box and all the plugs etc 

Edited by Vidmor
  • Like 1

Sorry should read it *would *show you how to replace the complete assembly part (understand the mechanism isn't serviceable - though there is a video somewhere by a guy with a yeti showing the cog in the mechanism sticks on its pin, or something like that)