Car Stopped

So, my car slammed the brakes on for the second time on the same bit of road.

It did it for the first time around six months ago, again tonight. 

I turn into a road near my house (30 mph limit) and after a cars length or so while accelerating, Bang, on go the brakes and the centre dash displays a Red sign and beeps.

Both times I am taken by surprise and almost hurt my neck because when accelerating you naturally lean forward.

There is nothing in the road, as far as I could see.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Cheers

Yes - the phantom object in the road. Are you coming close to another vehicle or perhaps going round a bend of some kind? I had mine trigger in almost exactly the situation shown in the picture below in the manual (A). A tap on the throttle stops it. I've read others on here have had it trigger with no perceived threat, but that hasn't happened to me.

image.png.44f9bbc89b3e487e339cf70ffef1f640.png

Happened to me yesterday as I was about to overtake a vehicle that was on my inside. Got the beep and warning on the dash but thankfully the brakes did not slam on.  A rear end shunt is a real possibility in these non-emergency situations. Not good.

Traded in my 2016 Superb because of this issue with over sensitive forward radar. It noticed a piece of plastic sheeting blowing across the M1 and slammed the brakes on when I was doing 70mph. Thankfully no-one was behind me at the time or it could have cause a nasty shunt. I liked to be in control if I am going to have an accident not some camera linked to a stupid computer.:sweat:

I had it happen when I very first got the car, wide road and a car approaching on the opposite side. Plenty of room but going around a curve, bang - on came the brakes and the red warning.

Not sure why it happened and it hasn't happened since but the car was very new to me at that point (about 45 minutes in).

Edited by TerryMcK

There was a parked car on the opposite side of the road. The road is fairly narrow, about 2 1/4 cars wide.

Both times it happened, was around dusk, if that makes any difference? 

The first time it happened the car was fairly new and I thought I may have missed something. 

Wood Pigeon ‘hedge hopping’ on the A421 near Bedford a couple of years back caused mine to slam on!  It’s obviously just big enough - and it was close to the car - for the radar to panic about.  Again there was a large gap behind me, but it still scared the driver behind when I went from 70 to about 50 for no reason.

My 2-series has a camera based system and also flashes collision warnings up when it shouldn’t, but has never (yet) slammed the anchors on.

Get used to it.

The previous car (Octavia) did it twice in France (once was a roadworks sign and the second a Crow - both on the edge of the verge).  All new cars have collision avoidance of some sort to get the Euro NCAP scores up.

• Sad 1

Mine slams the brakes on if I try to resume ACC too early when leaving a certain roundabout heading south on the A19 near the Tyne Tunnel. I'm assuming the radar is 'seeing' the crash barrier as I'm turning left. Just got to get used to waiting a few seconds extra before resuming the ACC.