Dashcam Advice

NX01

Hi All

After a bit of advice.

Just had a Kodiaq for 24 hours whilst my Superb was in having the ignition button replaced and it had a dashcam in, apparently my dealer installs them as standard now in their cars.  It is something that I have been considering for a while and had a look at it whilst I had the car, the dealer had a leaflet in offering NextBase cameras.

Having looked at them the Nextbase 512 looks good, and they are offering it for £185 inc fitting and VAT which is a about £40 more than Halfords assuming the dealer will be hard-wiring it in rather than using the lighter socket.  I will need to ring and ask.

The question that is in my mind at the moment is whether I should just have a camera at the front or have one at the rear also.  I am aware that NextBase offer a rear camera that links to the 512 but it apparently is not that good, so am hesitant given the cost of having two full blown cameras.  How much benefit is there to having one front and rear?

Either way, any thoughts or feelings are gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

I had the 512 installed by our local Skoda dealer for £185

It is hardwired in and the cables are hidden out of site

I only have the front camera

Cant fault it at all

Edited by Mik3F

Yeah i upgraded from front only to having front and rear. Purely because previously having just front as obv as it sounds only covers front. I have been close to being side swiped from the rear on occasions and also if people are tailgating etc and cause a crash. You will have evidence etc. As op mentions more assurance! 

If you get it fitted from a skoda dealer remember you get the 2yr warranty which imo is worth the 40 quid. Also if they cause any damage or fit it incorrect they will cover costs.  I would never let halfords touch my car!   As easy as it is to hardwire a dashcam

• Like 1

Thanks all.  So looks like a good case for front and back.  What do you recommend for the back, and where does it get the power.  Would prefer hardwired.

10 hours ago, pentaxian said:

Thanks all.  So looks like a good case for front and back.  What do you recommend for the back, and where does it get the power.  Would prefer hardwired.

The power is picked up from the front unit.

I just tucked my wire in the headlining between the seal, and works just fine.

You'll need to see what rear camera options are with the next base if you go with the dealer fit option. You could even buy the rear camera and ask the dealer how much extra to charge if you can't be bothered doing yourself?

My advice is don’t be one of those arsch biscuits that has a dash cam and then drives like a total cockwomble!

If only people using these devices actually used them to assess their own driving they might see just how crap they are at it themselves. 40mph in 50 limits, braking for the slightest bends, hogging the middle lane and a thousand other examples of muppets with these dash cams trying to score a video of other people’s bad driving. Let he who casts the first stone etc etc.

I understand the need for them, but man it sends a shiver down my spine when I come up behind a car with one of those stickers declaring that they are equipped with a dash cam!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Totally agree, however mine is fitted just in case. I never post vidoes online. It is purely there incase its needed for insurance purposes.   We have been close to being involved in a cash for crash a couple times and this is why i decided to install.  Since ive had im yet to need it. Touch wood

1 hour ago, Flipfly said:

My advice is don’t be one of those arsch biscuits that has a dash cam and then drives like a total cockwomble!

If only people using these devices actually used them to assess their own driving they might see just how crap they are at it themselves. 40mph in 50 limits, braking for the slightest bends, hogging the middle lane and a thousand other examples of muppets with these dash cams trying to score a video of other people’s bad driving. Let he who casts the first stone etc etc.

I understand the need for them, but man it sends a shiver down my spine when I come up behind a car with one of those stickers declaring that they are equipped with a dash cam!

I know the type but we are not all like that! As above mine is purely for potential insurance claim, I've had someone drive in to us and also when parked in a car park, reversed in to and drive off!

You missed the c0ckwombles that have the dash cam smack in the middle of their windscreen impairing their view with wires hanging down and it glaring brightly as they bought a cheapo one that doesn't shut the screen off

I have the Toguard CE20 installed in all 4 cars in our household.  They are good quality and discrete for around £45.

The Superb is easy to hard wire into the fuse box behind the Glove box, it should take around half an hour.

The screen goes off after a set period, it sticks to the windscreen so is very neat, you can have a GPS version if you want.

Edited by vfrvrs

1 hour ago, aldouk said:

I know the type but we are not all like that! As above mine is purely for potential insurance claim, I've had someone drive in to us and also when parked in a car park, reversed in to and drive off!

You missed the c0ckwombles that have the dash cam smack in the middle of their windscreen impairing their view with wires hanging down and it glaring brightly as they bought a cheapo one that doesn't shut the screen off

Ooh, even better when mated to a ****nav set at eye level right in front of the driver. I swear I actually saw a driver who put one right in front of their face and it was mahooosive!

with over a million miles under my belt, I’m not sure anything can surprise me now.

• Haha 1

The dash cam must not obstruct vision and the active screen must NOT be visible whilst driving (turning display off after 30 secs not good enough). Best to position behind the rear-view mirror out of view/obstruction.

Also remember to leave at home if visiting some European countries eg Austria, Luxembourg or Portugal - as they are illegal. In Austria it's a 10,000 Euro fine for just having one in the car (25,000 Euro for second  offence)

I have a Nextbase so it's easy to remove becuase of the magnetic mount.

Edited by bigjohn

I would personally recommend every one gets one fitted, after having my work car written off 5 weeks ago when someone drove into the back of me. They tried to say I had harshly breaked and was driving erratically in an attempt to apportion some liability on me as they had pushed me into the car in front as well. Having a Dash cam proved I had been driving within the speed limit leaving plenty of distance in front, then came to a steady stop before they hit me! Their insurance had no choice but to fully accept liability for the damage of all 3 cars. I have now fitted front and rear dashcams in both our cars. Not a well known make, but reviews are all positive; zerogogo mini 0906. Very impressed with it. Has GPS, time lapse recording when car is turned off, records 1080p front and rear when moving. Fitted myself with the optional hard wire kit (Very easy to do)

12 hours ago, DIYnewbie said:

I would personally recommend every one gets one fitted, after having my work car written off 5 weeks ago when someone drove into the back of me. They tried to say I had harshly breaked and was driving erratically in an attempt to apportion some liability on me as they had pushed me into the car in front as well. Having a Dash cam proved I had been driving within the speed limit leaving plenty of distance in front, then came to a steady stop before they hit me! Their insurance had no choice but to fully accept liability for the damage of all 3 cars. I have now fitted front and rear dashcams in both our cars. Not a well known make, but reviews are all positive; zerogogo mini 0906. Very impressed with it. Has GPS, time lapse recording when car is turned off, records 1080p front and rear when moving. Fitted myself with the optional hard wire kit (Very easy to do)

I also used some front footage to prove a similar accusation. There was no other car involved at the front but the guy behind hit me twice and said I had braked etc. I was overtaking a van at the point of impact. The guy even called the Police, ranting and raving,  I just got back into my car and waited for the Police. 

I got full payment including physiotherapy and compensation.

I can only assume he wasn't looking and shouting loud to prove his point.

I have a Nextbase DUO, front and rear camera in one unit.  The front is wide angle and the rear looks back through the car with a telephoto lens.  Only disadvantage of this is that with five on board the rear camera is looking at the middle rear passenger's face!  Mounted with sucker behind left side of rear view mirror.  Cable pushed into trim at top and passenger side of widscreen, behind rubber trim of passenger door, above trim above passenger footwell, spare cable tucked into net on passenger side of centre tunnel, then into cigar socket by gear lever.  Simple to totally remove and temporarily install in another car when neccessary.  Records speed, GPS position, vibration.  Software allows viewing on laptop with zoomable map, graphs for speed, shocks etc.  Thoroughly recommended.

I have the Nextbase DUO HD too, a great unit - mounted in the same place and can only just be seen at all from the driver's view (a sliver shows to the edge of the mirror). Bought when Halfords had their discount weekend - they do regularly - with them fitting for £30. Cannot fault it at all.