Is there anyone NOT having problems with 1,5 TSI manual ?

iwsitl

I took delivery of my MY19 1.5 SEL DSG with GPF this week when it was quite cold. I initially noticed a slight judder and wheelspin when pulling away but now the take off is now dead smooth regardless of which driver selection mode I'm in or engine temp which I cannot explain. I've heard the DSG box automatically adapts to the driving style quite quickly. I test drove a 57 plate manual 1.5 last summer and it drove me Kangaroo crazy and decided to opt for a DSG partly due the Kangaroo issue and the fact my left leg is in need of surgery. I did a second 4 day test drive of the 1.5 DSG in se tech trim before ordering which was on a 57 plate with 16k miles on the clock and that didn't Kangaroo. I don't feel that GPF has introduced any performance impact as my MY19 now with 80 miles on the clock feels just as responsive as the pre wltp dsg I tested.

Edited by Jon48

Had both Kangaroo and 2nd gear problem with my Karoq 1.5 TSI SEL registered October 2018. Dealer test drive confirmed problem and entered vehicle details on SKODA TPI ready for any update. I also reported fault to SKODA UK and this is a copy of their reply.......

I am delighted to learn that you like your new vehicle, however, I am very sorry that you have come across an issue with the driving style of the vehicle.
I appreciate your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a ŠKODA and any issue you experience can be disappointing.
ŠKODA UK always looks to improve the operating parameters of our vehicles during their lifespan and we understand there may be a software update available in 2019, which may enhance this characteristic of your vehicle.
Notwithstanding, if you remain unsure or have any concerns with your vehicle, we would recommend taking the vehicle into your local ŠKODA Retailer for diagnostic test.

No firm date or estimated date for update so will have to wait and see. Has as been said on this forum the fault is easily overcome by adjusting driving skills but my bone of contention is with the 2nd gear problem sometimes causing ghosting into prevailing traffic on a busy roundabout a novice driver may well panic and who knows what might happen?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I created this thread worried about my Karoq 1,5 TSI manual waiting to be delivered.

After a month and my first big trip I must say that I have not encountered any kangaroo behaviour mentioned in the other threads. Although I was expecting it, although I have actively tried to force its appearance, I have not yet experienced it.

Indeed the motor does not "pull" in low rpm; it has a flat spot when it falls under 1200rpm and one needs to be careful not to use e.g. the second gear when slowly coasting a roundabout waiting for an exit. In that case one can floor then gas but simply see no acceleration. Or when pulling from a stop and turning uphill, be more firm with the gas pedal or risk stalling if it falls below 1000 especially with the start/stop active.

I would have preferred a more aggressive approach from low rpm but I think this is the price to pay for the new gas emissions. In any case it is not a big problem and certainly can adjust easily to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2019 at 14:58, JakeB1941 said:

Had both Kangaroo and 2nd gear problem with my Karoq 1.5 TSI SEL registered October 2018. Dealer test drive confirmed problem and entered vehicle details on SKODA TPI ready for any update. I also reported fault to SKODA UK and this is a copy of their reply.......

I am delighted to learn that you like your new vehicle, however, I am very sorry that you have come across an issue with the driving style of the vehicle.
I appreciate your expectations of reliability and build quality are high when you purchase a ŠKODA and any issue you experience can be disappointing.
ŠKODA UK always looks to improve the operating parameters of our vehicles during their lifespan and we understand there may be a software update available in 2019, which may enhance this characteristic of your vehicle.
Notwithstanding, if you remain unsure or have any concerns with your vehicle, we would recommend taking the vehicle into your local ŠKODA Retailer for diagnostic test.

No firm date or estimated date for update so will have to wait and see. Has as been said on this forum the fault is easily overcome by adjusting driving skills but my bone of contention is with the 2nd gear problem sometimes causing ghosting into prevailing traffic on a busy roundabout a novice driver may well panic and who knows what might happen?

Hi Jake1941

We picked our new Skoda Karoq SE L TSI 150 up on Monday 28/01/2019 and experienced the same problems you have highlighted, it is unnerving when you are approaching a round about or slowing for a corner wondering if the engine is going to cut out. My wife is so worried she will not drive it since experiencing this. What should be a pleasing experience has turned out a constant worry.      

57 minutes ago, Ducked said:

Hi Jake1941

We picked our new Skoda Karoq SE L TSI 150 up on Monday 28/01/2019 and experienced the same problems you have highlighted, it is unnerving when you are approaching a round about or slowing for a corner wondering if the engine is going to cut out. My wife is so worried she will not drive it since experiencing this. What should be a pleasing experience has turned out a constant worry.      

Take it back and leave it with them as a few on this forum have done. They have provided courtesy cars to a few.

What surprises me is the motoring magazines and media have not done an article on this engine fault which must be affecting thousands of owners of VAG group vehicles despite it being highlighted on Honest John . Most motoring reviewers as well reccomend choosing this engine yet nothing mentioned. Buyers are being misled into buying models with this engine. I await with great interest a report by the DVSA who have been made aware. Everybody affected should make sure they report the problem to their dealer and ask for it to be recorded AND also report it to Skoda UK recording their reply.

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

Maybe time to respect the OP's question as there are threads for those having problems and issues and this was asking those to post that are not.

@Skoffski a wee bit out of character for you, you been on the jungle juice again? :biggrin: :giggle:

• Haha 1

Just been talking to 1.5 TSI and DSG owners with no issues or concerns &some trusted by me dealership employees that are driving 'Management cars' / perks.. 

They do exist that have no issues with the engines, maybe more than those with issues if there is someplace they can post it might be good.

PS

I have not driven one that mis-behaved and have driven 1.5 TSI's with DSG.

Maybe if VW Group give me one Free Gratis i will drive one even more often.

I will big up them more effectively than their Media Contractors and for 'much cheaper'.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

Had my 1.5 manual since June and although I can’t say that I haven’t experienced the odd kangaroo, it’s certainly a rare occurrence now and I just put it down to me being a bit quick off the clutch.   I think I’ve learned to avoid it now.   I’m more concerned with the mpg which is quite disappointing and way off the official figures.   Perhaps it will get better with miles but I’m already at 7000 miles and struggle to get 40mpg even when driving at a steady 60-65mph on A roads.

Edited by MASS1

• 3 months later...

My 1.5 SEL manual  (MY19) has never suffered the kangarooing noted by many on this Forum.

It has however had the odd hesitation in 2nd gear and is going into the local main dealer next week to have the software update.

I contacted Skoda UK to ensure that the dealer has the software patch and they were most helpful and confirmed that they indeed did have the information. 

I know mines a dsg but also suffers from the same problem bloody annoying at 20 mph stuttering along could have sworn this morning that it was gonna give up the ghost it was that bad and apparently there is no fix for the dsg equipped cars as yet 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ My dealer had it for 2 months earlier this due to it doing the non responsive throttle trick and we refused to drive it till it was sorted but said applied fix was supposed to cure the stutter as well but to no avail it's getting to the point of giving them the bloody thing back, still love the car and it's probably the best skoda we've had to date but there comes a point when you've had enough